Since Obamacare, trying to buy

Jul 2014
massachusetts
I am an average family and mine went up $2000 not down. This is the experience of all people who had health insurance. This "average" you give is based on low income people getting subsidies and on young people forced to buy insurance that they do not want.

We all know the reality of it and I do not appreciate you telling me I had a savings with obamacare.
I don't have low income insurance, I'm an officer of a financial services company, I don't get food stamps or subsidies, our insurance is through a group formed for banks.
The premiums have gone up very slowly since ObamaCare was passed.
That's the reality, the average family plan costs around $18,000 now, before ObamaCare it was projected to to cost around $21,000, but ObamaCare bent the cost curve.
Those are the facts.
There are anecdotes, where people had "insurance" that didn't cover anything, that didn't cost much, and now they pay a lot more for coverage that covers things.
But on the average, people are paying less than they would have if ObamaCare had not passed.

Nov 2012
nirvana
I don't have low income insurance, I'm an officer of a financial services company, I don't get food stamps or subsidies, our insurance is through a group formed for banks.
The premiums have gone up very slowly since ObamaCare was passed.
That's the reality, the average family plan costs around $18,000 now, before ObamaCare it was projected to to cost around $21,000, but ObamaCare bent the cost curve.
Those are the facts.
There are anecdotes, where people had "insurance" that didn't cover anything, that didn't cost much, and now they pay a lot more for coverage that covers things.
But on the average, people are paying less than they would have if ObamaCare had not passed.
It would be cheaper than that but for Republican obstruction.

Anybody that doesn't like their insurance rates should be calling Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell.

The people responsible for those high costs.

Sep 2015
Lehigh Valley Pa.,USA
Easy fix for that. Go to single payer.
Then you had better amend the Constitution to allow it...

That was the fuck-up with Social Security and Medicare....There should have been a Constitutional Amendment to allow that....then the funds paid into it would have had to stay there, not go into the general funds....Now we have a Ponzi Scheme that is about to collapse...

Reactions: 2 people
Sep 2016
Oregon
From Politifac, Feb 2017

This year’s 25 percent increase is by far the largest since Obamacare began. Premiums rose around 7 percent in 2016 and 3 percent in 2015, based on the HHS analysis of the same benchmark plan.

For starters, that jump is far beyond what is expected industry wide. The National Business Group on Health estimates employees of the nation’s largest businesses — an indicator of overall health insurance costs — will see about a 5 percent premium increase in 2017, based on a survey of 425 large employers.

Obamacare premiums are rising far more in part because of several mechanisms built into the healthcare law that have ended or not worked as intended — reinsurance and risk corridors.

Both were set up as temporary measures from 2014 to 2016 to subsidize the marketplace, artificially keeping prices low.

Reinsurance was designed to reduce the incentive for insurers to charge higher premiums to higher-cost policyholders in the first years of Obamacare, which was accomplished by transferring funds to the plans for those policyholders.

Risk corridors were designed to transfer money from profitable insurers to those losing money on the ACA exchange, discourage insurers from setting high premiums due to the uncertainty of the new market.

They were originally pitched as a mechanism that would bring in money, then as one that would break even. But the latest data shows in 2015 claims from insurers for payment through the program outweighed the money paid in by $5.8 billion, so the expected funds weren’t available to redistribute.

Now that the programs have ended as designed, premiums are rising to more closely match what it actually costs insurers to offer plans in the marketplace.

This is by no means an exhaustive accounting of the factors driving 2017 premiums upward. Experts say general growth in health care costs still play a role, as do changes in who is signing up, provider networks and the small group market, among others.

Reactions: 1 person
Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
I do not know anyone who self insures whos premiums have not dramatically increased since the unaffordable care act was implemented.

All of the examples that have been given that have "only gone up a little" have been subsidized in one way or another.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Take insurance back to the open market, like car insurance, life insurance, home owner's insurance, etc.... Get the Government the hell out of it....
The difference being that without car insurance, life insurance or home owner's insurance you may be inconvenienced.

Without health insurance you may die.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
Take insurance back to the open market, like car insurance, life insurance, home owner's insurance, etc.... Get the Government the hell out of it....
The government mandates car insurance, and regulates it, and life insurance and all insurance, there used to be a "free market", but that didn't work.

The free market works good for some stuff, like corn, soybeans, pork bellies, it sucks for social insurance.

Because if you do something a lot, you get good at it.
If you are doing something for the first time, you tend to fuck it up.

Health care markets have people on one side that do it all the time to make money, and people on the other side that are doing for the first time mostly.
That's why it's so lucrative, you tell a parent, unless you buy this product, your child will die, you can charge a lot for that product.
That's why when you socialize it, you save a bundle.

Jul 2015
chicago
The difference being that without car insurance, life insurance or home owner's insurance you may be inconvenienced.

Without health insurance you may die.
That has absolutely nothing to do with his point. That being that the free market would naturally lead to reduced costs.