Since we are Going to Make Employers Give their Employees Free Money . . .

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Why don't we just make stores give customers free products instead?

That's what we expect people to use the free money for, right? It's not intended for vacations or savings or political donations, or anything else but going to the store and buying food and other necessities. Have I got that part right?

Assuming yes, here is the huge problem: that requirement heavily favors the upper middle class. 14 days paid time off is several thousand dollars to a salaried engineer, lawyer, doctor, or any other profession that people luck their way into or get hired by their dad's friend.

They likely will invest that money or other wasteful uses that do not take care of basic necessities.

Even the lower paid college-level office workers, union workers and skilled workers, managers, welders, electricians, etc will get two to four thousand of the free money and why? Again, we know luck played the key role in obtaining those jobs.

What does a McDonald's worker get? 14 days x 8 hours x $7.25 =$812.00. How is that helpful?

Free money?

Free poverty, it sounds like.

But, if they can just go to Walmart, pick up what they need and go, it really cuts out a lot of wasteful red tape. Walmart will be forced to give its employees free money, why not force them to give free food instead?

The free market will make sure no one store has to pony up more than any other store. That's right - the free market. Because when Walmart runs out of stuff, people will go to Kroger while Walmart restocks. Duh!

The beauty part is that everyone knows what they need so there won't be any waste.

The government can just send Walmart money so they can keep restocking as long as the crisis lasts.

I challenge one liberal on here to tell me a single thing wrong with that idea.

One caveat:

Don't you DARE say anything about fairness because the fair comes to town onest a year. But if you insist, non-store empoloyers can just send the free money to Walmart and Kroger instead of giving it to their engineers who probably already have a bunker full of food buried under their backyards, anyway.

And don't say money is more important than lives, either, because baby Jesus will slap you for that.

Ok, that's two caviars, but you know what I meant.

The issue would be that maybe I have all the food and clothes I need. But I still need to pay my mortgage and utilities. Can’t cook free food if my power and gas are shut off or I’m being evicted.

Feb 2020
Houston
The issue would be that maybe I have all the food and clothes I need. But I still need to pay my mortgage and utilities. Can’t cook free food if my power and gas are shut off or I’m being evicted.
OMG, Bubba!

I wish you had been here at the start of this thread with that incredibly sensible answer!

It could have ended the whole thread right there.

You would not believe the caterwauling that went on here today over that question.

Now, I can't believe I used the word "caterwauling" without irony.

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
Why don't we just make stores give customers free products instead?

That's what we expect people to use the free money for, right? It's not intended for vacations or savings or political donations, or anything else but going to the store and buying food and other necessities. Have I got that part right?

Assuming yes, here is the huge problem: that requirement heavily favors the upper middle class. 14 days paid time off is several thousand dollars to a salaried engineer, lawyer, doctor, or any other profession that people luck their way into or get hired by their dad's friend.

They likely will invest that money or other wasteful uses that do not take care of basic necessities.

Even the lower paid college-level office workers, union workers and skilled workers, managers, welders, electricians, etc will get two to four thousand of the free money and why? Again, we know luck played the key role in obtaining those jobs.

What does a McDonald's worker get? 14 days x 8 hours x $7.25 =$812.00. How is that helpful?

Free money?

Free poverty, it sounds like.

But, if they can just go to Walmart, pick up what they need and go, it really cuts out a lot of wasteful red tape. Walmart will be forced to give its employees free money, why not force them to give free food instead?

The free market will make sure no one store has to pony up more than any other store. That's right - the free market. Because when Walmart runs out of stuff, people will go to Kroger while Walmart restocks. Duh!

The beauty part is that everyone knows what they need so there won't be any waste.

The government can just send Walmart money so they can keep restocking as long as the crisis lasts.

I challenge one liberal on here to tell me a single thing wrong with that idea.

One caveat:

Don't you DARE say anything about fairness because the fair comes to town onest a year. But if you insist, non-store empoloyers can just send the free money to Walmart and Kroger instead of giving it to their engineers who probably already have a bunker full of food buried under their backyards, anyway.

And don't say money is more important than lives, either, because baby Jesus will slap you for that.

Ok, that's two caviars, but you know what I meant.
You are one inconsiderate and sick man. Why force so much math and logic on people who just want their fair share? The government should just tattoo the words "poor" on their foreheads and then they can get rid up the cost of bringing out EBT cards and all other documents. These tatted people will be able to go into any store and just take what they want and also do not have to pay for shopping bags.

The tattoos should be made using ink that cannot be removed through any means. That's what FDR's "NEW DEAL" calls for, I think.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
OMG, Bubba!

I wish you had been here at the start of this thread with that incredibly sensible answer!

It could have ended the whole thread right there.

You would not believe the caterwauling that went on here today over that question.

Now, I can't believe I used the word "caterwauling" without irony.

OMG shades of my mama, “caterwauling” is a word she’d of used.