So Bazaar made a pro-abortion article...

Jun 2018
Texas
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/politics/a19748134/what-is-abortion/

This is my first topic I am posting on.
I am pro-life, and I would like to converse on the points made in this article.

First of all, stating that abortion is murder is not a conservative feeling as the post suggests. If a left-wing said that abortion is not murder, is that a feeling also? When we say that, we are making an observation based on the facts that have been presented to us.

Since cell division starts immediately after conception, what has been created is an living organism. Science has taught us that all living things are made of cells. If new cells are being created, how does this not count as a living organism? The idea that cells dividing does not constitute life makes no logical sense.

Even though some fertilized eggs do not make it to childbirth, the point I am trying to make is that the fertilized egg MAY lead to childbirth, and taking that opportunity away from them is immoral.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/pcn.12067 In this article, thirteen studies supported the presence of a risk of mental disorder in the groups of women who had had an abortion versus those who gave birth. This example shows that proceeding with an abortion has led to higher risk of mental disorders than childbirth.

Of course pregnancy is threatening, but taking some pain is better than killing a human person. The idea that someone would rather protect themselves from being hurt by trading that pain with murder is absurd. Imagine you not being able to live just because your mother thought childbirth was too painful. The idea that the formation of life and pain are interchangeable is nonsense.

If women are not financially capable of having a child, just give the child to adoption, and your problems would be solved. Yes, pregnancy endangers the life of a mother, but abortion eliminates the life of a child.

The idea that a fetus does not have the right to inhabit a body is absurd. They do not have a choice to live outside of the womb. This example explains that a fetus is willingly staying there against the will of the woman. If this was the case, then all fetuses would be breaking the law without knowing they were. This idea is preposterous.

The idea that if abortion was illegal, all birth control methods would decrease is also untrue. Other birth control methods would become more prominent in our society. Since abortion would be illegal, more women will use different types of birth control methods more often in order to insure that they will not get pregnant. Other places also sell birth control methods other than Planned Parenthood.

This article states that we are seeing more women using coat hangars to induce abortion, but forgets to mention the fact that this is still happening while abortion is legal. This will occur whether abortion is illegal or not.

Sorry that this post is extremely, excessively long. This article was long in itself, and I wanted to address all of my views on the article. If anything I said was fallacy or anything similar, please tell me. Again, this is my first post, and I am new to the debating side of politics. Thanks again for whoever read this far. Sorry for rambling. :unsure:

May 2018
USA
You miss the point completely. The right to choose what to do with a pregnancy should only lie with the pregnant woman. Not the state. Not the church. And certainly not a bunch of pandering politicians who really don't care one way or the other. Trying to force the "pro lifer" way down people's throats is just another form of the government domination that the right claims to despise (and ultra hypocritical, which is natural for the right). If the state can force a woman against her will to have kids, whats next? Making it mandatory that all women have 10 children? 15? 20?

We saw how the evangelical "pro lifers" felt about REAL children last week on the border, didn't we? You didn't claim to be one of those people, but they are the face of the "pro life" movement, not thoughtful people like yourself willing to engage in debate. Those "pro life" fetus lovers certainly didn't raise much protest at all about 2 year olds being separated from their mothers, did they? In the end it was screams from the middle (they've long ignored the voices on the left) that finally convinced the hateful rightwing hypocrites to pretend like they were offended. It's disgusting. Now the same "pro life" types are openly supporting a pimp in Nevada (the owner of the Bunny Ranch). Great morals those "pro life" people have, huh?

At least you didn't bring up that many talking points of the fake Christians, and I respect that you didn't. The Bible is pro abortion (Numbers 5:11-28).

Last edited:
Jul 2014
massachusetts
It's a question of rights.
Who has the right to decide how a person's body will be used?

Nov 2012
Michigan
The question is, is a pre-born child an innocent human life. Anything else and your trading innocent human life for someone else’s convenience.

Reactions: 1 person
Jun 2018
Texas
You miss the point completely. The right to choose what to do with a pregnancy should only lie with the pregnant woman. Not the state. Not the church. And certainly not a bunch of pandering politicians who really don't care one way or the other. Trying to force the "pro lifer" way down people's throats is just another form of government domination that the right claims to despise (and ultra hypocritical, which is natural for the right). If the state can force a woman against her will to have kids, whats next? Making it mandatory that all women have 10 children? 15? 20?

We saw how the evangelical "pro lifers" felt about REAL children last week on the border, didn't we? You didn't claim to be one of those people, but they are the face of the "pro life" movement, not thoughtful people like yourself willing to engage in debate. Those "pro life" fetus lovers certainly didn't raise much protest at all about 2 year olds being separated from their mothers, did they? In the end it was screams from the middle that finally convinced the hateful rightwing hypocrites to pretend like they were offended. It's disgusting. Now the same "pro life" types are openly supporting a pimp in Nevada (the owner of the Bunny Ranch). Great morals those "pro life" people have, huh?

At least you didn't bring up that many talking points of the fake Christians, and I respect that you didn't. The Bible is pro abortion (Numbers 5:11-28).
I agree with your point about the border. My stance is that if they illegally cross the border, the US should place a fine on them, but allow them to gain citizenship in the US. This would discourage crossing illegally, but still offer a chance for those immigrants to live in the US

I actually am a christian, but I try to not let that influence my morals in politics. What I am saying is that women have the choice to not get pregnant. They have the choice to take birth control or not. Even if a woman is worried about rape, she could just take birth control pills every day to help prevent this case. Even the planned parenthood website states that the pills work %91 of the time. Why should we murder fetuses for accidental pregnancies if the chance of pills working is so high? No government should have control over how many babies a person has. I am trying to make the point that there are other ways of preventing a pregnancy which women can use to not have a baby. No government should have the right to make it mandatory for women to have a certain amount of children.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Oh great--just great. Another thread about abortion for the ga-zillioneth time, being discussed by MEN--mostly old white men--who have never been pregnant and never will be pregnant.
These are the same OLD WHITE MEN who will not have to DIE during delivery--vomit every morning--deal with preeclampsia OR gestational diabetes OR placenta previa OR bladder infections OR hypertension OR bleeding/headaches/exhaustion/blood clots. The same men who will not clothe, feed or educate the baby......FOR THE REST OF IT'S life.

My body. My choice. Your body. Your choice.

Go away.

Reactions: 2 people

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
The question is, is a pre-born child an innocent human life. Anything else and your trading innocent human life for someone else’s convenience.
That is your opinion. It is wrong and most scientists say it is wrong, but it is your right to express it.

However, it is not your right or anyone's to impose it on anyone else.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
I agree with your point about the border. My stance is that if they illegally cross the border, the US should place a fine on them, but allow them to gain citizenship in the US. This would discourage crossing illegally, but still offer a chance for those immigrants to live in the US

I actually am a christian, but I try to not let that influence my morals in politics. What I am saying is that women have the choice to not get pregnant. They have the choice to take birth control or not. Even if a woman is worried about rape, she could just take birth control pills every day to help prevent this case. Even the planned parenthood website states that the pills work %91 of the time. Why should we murder fetuses for accidental pregnancies if the chance of pills working is so high? No government should have control over how many babies a person has. I am trying to make the point that there are other ways of preventing a pregnancy which women can use to not have a baby. No government should have the right to make it mandatory for women to have a certain amount of children.
Taking hormones has consequences and for some women it is contraindicated. That you feel in some way empowered to tell a woman what to do with her body and to her body is just grossly wrong.

Dec 2015
Arizona
That is your opinion. It is wrong and most scientists say it is wrong, but it is your right to express it.

However, it is not your right or anyone's to impose it on anyone else.

AND again. If. Webguy. Wants. A. Baby. HE. Can. Have. A. Baby.

Oh that's right..........................

HE CAN'T cuz HE'S a GUY and has NO UTERUS---that we know of. :lol: