So Now What?

Nov 2012
Michigan
I am 65, I’ve seen some sell offs before and this is a big one. I can smell fear. Fear means people are selling that shouldn’t. Fear and greed drive the market, buy low sell high.
But forget about trying to pick a perfect bottom or top.

Nov 2012
Michigan
Ya
Land and Properties.
ya gonna be a landlord? The leftists are all over that. They ain’t gonna let you evict anyone or raise rent with inflation. So maybe you’re a farmer? Yeah, that’s a sure thing (sarcasm).

Sep 2019
Louisville, Ky
Ya

ya gonna be a landlord? The leftists are all over that. They ain’t gonna let you evict anyone or raise rent with inflation. So maybe you’re a farmer? Yeah, that’s a sure thing (sarcasm).
I would never sublet or go residential for anything outside of investment and resale....the risks and HR are simply not worth it.

Feb 2018
Oregon
Retired folks need to be conservative. I am just another amatuer, I can be wrong or out manipulated by big players with their own agendas. CDs and bonds work great when interest rates are falling.
Fixed annuities work even better in the right situation.

Feb 2018
Oregon
Stocks could drop more, but with gold and silver being depressed by governments and billionaires, cash being inflated like crazy, unless you wanna stock up on guns, ammo, liquor and freeze dried food where ya gonna go?
REITs, Treasuries, bear funds, currency futures, diamonds. Gold can only go so low. The trick is in determining the lowest value possible, and to do that you need to discount the effect of speculation. I mean, it's not going to drop to $100 per ounce. So there is a bottom.

But stock? Is the bottom here already? Or is the bottom 10,000? Or is it 6,000 or even less?

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
REITs, Treasuries, bear funds, currency futures, diamonds. Gold can only go so low. The trick is in determining the lowest value possible, and to do that you need to discount the effect of speculation. I mean, it's not going to drop to $100 per ounce. So there is a bottom.

But stock? Is the bottom here already? Or is the bottom 10,000? Or is it 6,000 or even less?
Even through the 1929 depression, of the companies that didn't go bankrupt, if you could hold on, I think it was 6 years, you still ended up dollars ahead. I hate admitting that Dopey Don might be right about something but the recovery could be relatively fast. It's just that it ain't going to be in 6 months.

That to me, for my personal decisions, is the big question, how long are we going to be in this trough?

Jul 2015
chicago
Even through the 1929 depression, of the companies that didn't go bankrupt, if you could hold on, I think it was 6 years, you still ended up dollars ahead. I hate admitting that Dopey Don might be right about something but the recovery could be relatively fast. It's just that it ain't going to be in 6 months.

That to me, for my personal decisions, is the big question, how long are we going to be in this trough?
It is purely based on the course of the virus in the USA. If it ends up acting like the flu and fades away in the next month then the market will bounce back immediately.