Social Media Has Become Toxic and Lost All Sense and Purpose

Jan 2015
MD

WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram are no longer conduits of meaningful social interaction but toxic havens of misinformation, clickbait, propaganda, and brand marketing.
Social media started off as a hassle-free tool for people across the globe to connect with each other, share ideas and interact in an affable manner. Long gone are the days when people used to put just vacation albums on their Facebook profiles, have group conversations on Yahoo Messenger, write on their friends walls and have interactions with people they actually knew and cared about.
When was the last time you opened your notifications on any social media platform and saw meaningful posts from people you actually have any semblance of interaction with. Social media is nowadays riddled with posts from publishers, brands and these so called 'influencers' who live in the grey areas when it comes to ethics.

From tools of social interaction, these platforms have become a marketplace in disguise where brands strut their stuff via influencers and sponsored posts. They have become news portals with publishers trying to outdo each other in coming up with the wackiest - and in effect the most sensational - headline in order to entice users to click.

Social media platforms have also become extremely complicated. They now give you the ability to make calls, send photos, set up photos and videos as statuses - labelled as 'stories' - and much more. This all-encompassing nature makes them addictive and hard to live without.
Akin to an addictive drug, social media can easily ensnare you in its wraps. It will either make you feel very good about yourself or aggravate every insecurity and misgiving you have ever felt. Social media anxiety is a very real disorder in today's times with people more invested in the virtual world than reality.
With misinformation, propaganda, and fake news perpetuating left right and centre, social media is fast becoming a vile and toxic place where social interactions are being buried under a mountain of brain-numbing nonsense. Apart from the social network's own policies, there are no regulations or any system of checks and balances in place to control spread of malicious information.
I'm deleting all of my social media this year, and I agree with a lot of these sentiments. Thoughts?

Apr 2013
Left coast
Not all bad. But one needs to be careful. I love twitter now. But I am IMO selective about who I follow.

And I don't trash talk on it.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin

I'm deleting all of my social media this year, and I agree with a lot of these sentiments. Thoughts?
Why not simply block, mute and unfollow those in your social media circle who are toxic and negative? Twitter for example is exactly as toxic as you want it to be because no one has to agree to let you follow them. You can follow as many positive people and as few negative people as you want.

Dec 2015
Arizona
I like social media. I like to read what people think--not just Americans but globally. I want to know about new trends--what the younger generation is doing--their opinions and ideas. I like to stay in touch with friends across the country---their families, their joys and concerns, their politics--their religion--their struggles. I like to be informed about new technology, health issues.
Sure--sometimes it goes haywire, but the intent is good. Social media helps people stay connected.

Jan 2015
MD
Why not simply block, mute and unfollow those in your social media circle who are toxic and negative? Twitter for example is exactly as toxic as you want it to be because no one has to agree to let you follow them. You can follow as many positive people and as few negative people as you want.
I’d rather just not be bothered at all. I find that there’s not only more negative than positive, but that the negative tends to be rewarded more often than not because negativity is what gets the most attention. My current values just don’t align with the toxicity of social media.

Last edited:
Jan 2015
MD
I like social media. I like to read what people think--not just Americans but globally. I want to know about new trends--what the younger generation is doing--their opinions and ideas. I like to stay in touch with friends across the country---their families, their joys and concerns, their politics--their religion--their struggles. I like to be informed about new technology, health issues.
Sure--sometimes it goes haywire, but the intent is good. Social media helps people stay connected.
There are actually a lot of studies that show that social media accomplishes the opposite: it makes ppl more isolated and close-minded.

It’s quite frankly become a cesspool of ignorance and nonsense.

Oct 2010
Colorado
I’d rather just not be bothered at all. I find that there’s not only more negative than positive, but that the negative tends to be rewarded more often than not. My current values just don’t align with it anymore.
I think social media too often serves to draw us away from direct life experiences. I do from time to time visit my Facebook page, and of course a bunch of stuff awaits me. So, for some period of time, it varies a lot, I'm all into FB. Then at some point I realize I'm hooked again, and I go cold turkey.

Imo, too much of life has become our interactions with digital devices. I wonder, what's the ratio of sunsets seen vs. pictures of sunsets seen?