Social Media Has Become Toxic and Lost All Sense and Purpose

Jan 2015
MD
I think social media too often serves to draw us away from direct life experiences. I do from time to time visit my Facebook page, and of course a bunch of stuff awaits me. So, for some period of time, it varies a lot, I'm all into FB. Then at some point I realize I'm hooked again, and I go cold turkey.

Imo, too much of life has become our interactions with digital devices. I wonder, what's the ratio of sunsets seen vs. pictures of sunsets seen?
I agree. It has made people fake and provides a distortion of reality.

Dec 2015
Arizona
There are actually a lot of studies that show that social media accomplishes the opposite: it makes ppl more isolated and close-minded.

It’s quite frankly become a cesspool of ignorance and nonsense.
The people I know who are involved in social media are ALSO involved in "life". They work. They volunteer. They get involved in community organizations, churches, fundraising, local events, etc. In fact, they are less ignorant because they read and interact with others, discussing the issues of the day.
There is nothing isolated or close-minded about them and I don't think they are exceptions to the rule.

Apr 2014
Heart of America
Social Media Has Become Toxic and Lost All Sense and Purpose

I'm deleting all of my social media this year, and I agree with a lot of these sentiments. Thoughts?
Evolution in action. Such things often devolve to attract the lowest denominator.

Same thing ca be said for political forums. There are a few hugely toxic waste dumps online in the form of political echo chambers where any dissenting thought is immediately attacked and the poster driven from the forum.

Jan 2015
MD
The people I know who are involved in social media are ALSO involved in "life". They work. They volunteer. They get involved in community organizations, churches, fundraising, local events, etc. In fact, they are less ignorant because they read and interact with others, discussing the issues of the day.
There is nothing isolated or close-minded about them and I don't think they are exceptions to the rule.
If that’s your experience then it is what it is, but these things are definitely worth thinking about.

Evolution in action. Such things often devolve to attract the lowest denominator.

Same thing ca be said for political forums. There are a few hugely toxic waste dumps online in the form of political echo chambers where any dissenting thought is immediately attacked and the poster driven from the forum.
This applies to the internet in general but social media plays a huge role.

Apr 2014
Heart of America
...This applies to the internet in general but social media plays a huge role.
That’s part of my point. Millennials and kids don’t use computers/laptops anymore. They mostly use smartphones hence the drift to social media like Snapchat and instagram.

Apr 2013
Left coast
I will say that I too am susceptible to these things. I have never done the facebook thing, I have an account but almost never go on it. The only reason I have it is that something I wanted access to wouldn't accept my trying to sign up, but suggested using my facebook login. So I created a facebook account in almost seconds and that got me to where I wanted to go.

But me and twitter. It is a bit insidious. I try and be discerning, but someone I respect retweets something I judge to be wise so I click follow on that post. And in a relatively short length of time it takes over. So recently, twice a month I go through my list of accounts I follow and cull with a vengeance.

And the only snark I want to issue is towards Trump tweets, and he doesn't read them anyway so I don't issue tweets.