Something to ponder

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons

Want something to ponder, try abandoning the binary thinking that has gotten us inro this predicament.

Here is an article to help you

Over the past months, while observing the debates surrounding the growing ideological and moral conflicts that currently shape global politics, a question kept bugging me: Why is there such a widespread unwillingness (or inability?) among most people to simultaneously handle multiple, competing thoughts? In other words: Why is almost everyone resorting to binary thinking, a type of thinking in which one out of two options of thought, considered mutually exclusive, has to be chosen?

I am afraid that binary thinking and the related pattern of rapidly jumping to conclusions are in part responsible for a toxic debate climate in which neutral, nonjudgmental facts routinely are being pushed aside in favor of emotions and weaponized empathy. Therefore I consider binary thinking to be a (possibly significant) contributing factor to the increasing polarization and division between groups, and in consequence an enabler for the rise of people such as Donald Trump.

In order to explain what I mean, here are two examples — and let’s stick with Trump and some recent events for that

Binary thinking & jumping to conclusions

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Want something to ponder, try abandoning the binary thinking that has gotten us inro this predicament.

Here is an article to help you

Over the past months, while observing the debates surrounding the growing ideological and moral conflicts that currently shape global politics, a question kept bugging me: Why is there such a widespread unwillingness (or inability?) among most people to simultaneously handle multiple, competing thoughts? In other words: Why is almost everyone resorting to binary thinking, a type of thinking in which one out of two options of thought, considered mutually exclusive, has to be chosen?

I am afraid that binary thinking and the related pattern of rapidly jumping to conclusions are in part responsible for a toxic debate climate in which neutral, nonjudgmental facts routinely are being pushed aside in favor of emotions and weaponized empathy. Therefore I consider binary thinking to be a (possibly significant) contributing factor to the increasing polarization and division between groups, and in consequence an enabler for the rise of people such as Donald Trump.

In order to explain what I mean, here are two examples — and let’s stick with Trump and some recent events for that

Binary thinking & jumping to conclusions
Sorry but for there to be non binary thinking there has to be two viewpoints that are on equal footing.
In the world of science that is usually not the case.
You have flat earthers and those who know the world is not flat. Are we supposed to give these two views equal weight?
Climate change vs. Climate Change Deniers
Evolution vs. Intelligent Design.
Windmills cause cancer vs No they don’t

There was another post of mine pointing out how Trump supporters are against anything they don’t understand and the problem is that they understand very little.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Sorry but for there to be non binary thinking there has to be two viewpoints that are on equal footing.
You have flat earthers and those who know the world is not flat. Are we supposed to give these two views equal weight?

There was another post of mine pointing out how Trump supporters are against anything they don’t understand and the problem is that they understand very little.
I tried to help you by providing an article but apparently you are happy being unhappy.

Mar 2019
Texas
If the claim that certain frequencies cause cancer and windmills put out that sound is said then science could refute that with test. However they do not do that because they just kneejerk by putting out fact check articles that claim it is false. It may be but the science is not conclusive and there is evidence that certain frequencies affect our bodies in unknown ways. Seems very smug. The claim is outrageous but has not been properly refuted. We do know that frequencies have positive effects and negative effects on our bodies.

Also i am remembering several class action lawsuits won in the matter of electricity lines and cancer.

Dec 2015
Arizona

Just like Trump. We MUST think what the cult leader thinks. :cool:

Mar 2019
Texas
A number of studies have looked at a possible link between ELF radiation from magnetic fields in the home and childhood leukemia, with mixed results. Still, when the findings from these studies are combined, a small increase in risk is seen for children at the highest exposure levels compared to those with the lowest exposure levels. Studies looking at the effect of ELF electric fields on childhood leukemia have not found a link.
cancer.org

Dec 2015
Arizona
If the claim that certain frequencies cause cancer and windmills put out that sound is said then science could refute that with test. However they do not do that because they just kneejerk by putting out fact check articles that claim it is false. It may be but the science is not conclusive and there is evidence that certain frequencies affect our bodies in unknown ways. Seems very smug. The claim is outrageous but has not been properly refuted. We do know that frequencies have positive effects and negative effects on our bodies.

Also i am remembering several class action lawsuits won in the matter of electricity lines and cancer.

Oh come on, Dick. This is not the middle ages and most of us are weary of the notions that preceded the whole windmill theory. Think back.

Cancer is contagious.
Microwave ovens cause cancer.
Plastic containers cause cancer.
Eating sugar causes cancer.
A negative attitude causes cancer.
Cancer gets worse if exposed to air.
Cancer surgery creates more cancer.
Cell phones cause cancer.
Herbal products can cure cancer.
If no one in my family has cancer I won't get cancer.
Deodorants cause cancer.
Hair dye increases risk of cancer.
Good people don't get cancer.
Cancer is God's punishment for some sin you committed.
Cancer will always come back.

Isn't it time we trusted science instead of science fiction??

Mar 2019
Texas
Oh come on, Dick. This is not the middle ages and most of us are weary of the notions that preceded the whole windmill theory. Think back.

Cancer is contagious.
Microwave ovens cause cancer.
Plastic containers cause cancer.
Eating sugar causes cancer.
A negative attitude causes cancer.
Cancer gets worse if exposed to air.
Cancer surgery creates more cancer.
Cell phones cause cancer.
Herbal products can cure cancer.
If no one in my family has cancer I won't get cancer.
Deodorants cause cancer.
Hair dye increases risk of cancer.
Good people don't get cancer.
Cancer is God's punishment for some sin you committed.
Cancer will always come back.

Isn't it time we trusted science instead of science fiction??
NO.

Many of the things you posted have some truth in them yet you simply dismiss them as being bunk. I will admit that science has created some decent methods to reach conclusions if you can admit that science can be influenced by corporations and such and although strides are made to keep the religion above influence it still happens often.

Also you left growing sweet potatoes causes cancer. You can thank yours truly for that lil gem......