Stand Your Ground Laws--Where do You Stand

Nov 2018
Montana
(Rand Corp is good resource for attempted impartial analysis of data, in this case firearm related data. Homicide certainly seems to have increased in Texas and Florida by my casual reading on the subject.)

Stand-Your-Ground Laws

Conclusions

Homicides and other violent crime. We identified three qualifying studies that estimated the effects of stand-your-ground laws on total homicides or other violent crimes. Cheng and Hoekstra (2013) found that these laws significantly increase homicide rates, but they have uncertain effects on robbery, aggravated assault, and burglary rates. Webster, Crifasi, and Vernick (2014) found that these laws have an uncertain effect on the total homicide rate. Finally, Humphreys, Gasparrini, and Wiebe (2017) found significant effects consistent with the law increasing total homicides in Florida after its passage. These studies draw on two distinct data sources: FBI crime-rate data from the Uniform Crime Reports system and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s Fatal Injury Reports.

Based on these findings, we conclude that there is moderate evidence that stand-your-ground laws may increase homicide rates but inconclusive evidence for the effect of stand-your ground laws on other types of violent crime.

Firearm homicides. We identified two qualifying studies that estimated the effects of stand-your-ground laws on firearm homicide rates. Webster, Crifasi, and Vernick (2014) found that these laws have uncertain effects on firearm homicides. Humphreys, Gasparrini, and Wiebe (2017) found a significant effect suggesting that after the law’s introduction, it increased firearm homicides in Florida. Based on these findings, we conclude that there is limited evidence that stand-your-ground laws may increase firearm homicides.

Nov 2018
Montana
people abuse them, they make it easy to pre meditate murder
That certainly seems to be the evolving opinion of those who study the overall social effect. I think that there is a unspoken and hard to quantify aspect. It seems to PROMOTE violent resolution by social approval of lethal force because someone felt "threatened". I think people should own their feelings and not blame others for their personal emotional responses. Young black men in hoodies at night on dark streets are threatening to many people including adult African-Americans, but that alone is not sufficient alone for a judgment.

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
That certainly seems to be the evolving opinion of those who study the overall social effect. I think that there is a unspoken and hard to quantify aspect. It seems to PROMOTE violent resolution by social approval of lethal force because someone felt "threatened". I think people should own their feelings and not blame others for their personal emotional responses. Young black men in hoodies at night on dark streets are threatening to many people including adult African-Americans, but that alone is not sufficient alone for a judgment.
it is an obvious disaster as i see it its easy to see the results.. travon martin

Nov 2018
Montana
Every person who is killed by a firearm fired by another person, including by the police, is a homicide. Using blanket homicide data has no meaning.
It has meaning. The question is, what does it mean? That is where objective attempts as statistical analysis comes into play.
So, rather than dismissing the data, one should look at the evidence and reliability of the data... and the intent (which in this case it can certainly agree is to promote more use of lethal force between civilians when hostile interactions occur)

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
It has meaning. The question is, what does it mean? That is where objective attempts as statistical analysis comes into play.
So, rather than dismissing the data, one should look at the evidence and reliability of the data... and the intent (which in this case it can certainly agree is to promote more use of lethal force between civilians when hostile interactions occur)

If that is the case then explain the 60% decline in homicide rates after 48 states have issued 16,000,000 shall carry permits?

it looks like arming the sheep has caused the wolves to become much more timid.

Jun 2012
Barsoom
It does have meaning, and that meaning is equivalent to was it dark or daylight when these justifiable homicides or murders took place. Unless murder charges were filed, the increase saved a life.