Stand Your Ground Laws--Where do You Stand

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Well first - something's seriously wrong with your spellcheck tonight!
Second - the exception doesn't prove the rule. Is there more than one example of an East African cop killing a white foreigner? Not that there aren't a lot of black cops involved in police shootings also. Problem is once they put on that uniform, they have quotas to meet and one way to advance up the chain of command if they're ambitious.....so, they're all blue when they're on the job!
Three - as for white people don't tend to riot..really! Ever see mostly white college students rioting because they lost/or won a stupid football game! Difference is they don't usually get called riots when they're white. And usually, nobody gets shot either!

I use a swipe keyboard and autocorrect. Plus i dont edit and my spelling is atrocious to begin w though "common" was intentional.

What I said about riots

Well, white people don't tend to riot everytime something doest go their way, that is unless they are upper middle class kids and someone they don't like is giving a speech that is.

I believe it is the winners who usually trash the city after a game.

That shooting was seriously fucked up. She called them to report a rape or something. When they arrived to the call she went to the car (drivers side) the cop sitting shotgun shot her thru the window accross his partners chest. Apparently.

Had all things been the same but the races reversed they would've burned down the city.

Nov 2012
nirvana
If you live in an SYG state have you ACTUALLY read what the law says ?? I do and I did. Here in Tennessee it simply says a person is NOT required to retreat from a threat in their home, OR ANYWHERE ELSE THEY ARE LAWFULLY ENTITLED TO BE. It simply says I am under no legal obligation to run away.

People misunderstand the law. We had a case here in Nashville a few years ago. Guy A cuts a line at a local deli. Guy B says something to him about. Guy A gets all up in guy B's face over it. Don't know who threw the first punch, but Guy A finds himself on the wrong end of an ass whipping. So he pulls a guns and shoots Guy B. Guy B lived but Guy A got charged with attempted murder. HE STARTED THE FIGHT. At least here in Tennessee they understand that you don't get to BE THE THREAT, you don't get to START the fight then plead self defense when you get your ass kicked.

Florida on the other hand is different. This was always my issue in the Zimmerman case. Zimmerman both INITIATED the conflict AND escalated it. There was a more recent case where a guy parked in a handicap zone. When he came out some guy was screaming at his girlfriend so he gives the guy a shove. The screamer then pulls a gun and kills the man. Admittedly the driver shouldn't have parked in a handicap zone, but on the other hand the screamer was NOT yelling at the driver, he was verbally assaulting the girlfriend. He shot the driver even after the man took a step backwards. Initially Florida wasn't going to charge the man. After they reviewed the tapes and did some actual investigation and found out this was not the first time the shooter had threatened other people, including at that store, they finally charged him.

SYG simply means my fat tired old ass is not legally required to run away. It is NOT a license to go out looking for trouble.
I’m certainly not going to retreat from a threat in my own home. But it raises the question. Would you kill if you didn’t have to?

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
I use a swipe keyboard and autocorrect. Plus i dont edit and my spelling is atrocious to begin w though "common" was intentional.

What I said about riots

Well, white people don't tend to riot everytime something doest go their way, that is unless they are upper middle class kids and someone they don't like is giving a speech that is.

I believe it is the winners who usually trash the city after a game.

That shooting was seriously fucked up. She called them to report a rape or something. When they arrived to the call she went to the car (drivers side) the cop sitting shotgun shot her thru the window accross his partners chest. Apparently.

Had all things been the same but the races reversed they would've burned down the city.

I think (Edit) puts emphasis on what I just wrote after reading it several more times. Spell check is handy but not fool proof as I have discovered so many times in the past. I don't know what autocorret means but I have no problem with sentense structure.

Edit: I keep wanting to spell sentense with sentence and this time spell check accepted it.

Last edited:
Dec 2015
Arizona
Yeah, that's the point, to be dangerous. It's essentially making the statement to those who would be willing to victimize others - don't fuck with law abiding individuals, or they can take whatever action is necessary to neutralize any effort to victimize them up to and including the most dangerous thing to them: kill.

So? Your priorities are backwards if you think that this is a reason for opposing stand your ground laws.

Again - so? Anything can be controversial and debatable. Evolution is controversial and debatable. Earth is a globe - is controversial and debatable. Does that make them false? I say no, no it doesn't.

Does this stuff apply to LEOs? Or, are LEOs obligated to retreat from threats as much as possible?
So? So.... Stand Your Ground or Shoot First laws are licenses to kill and they undermine the criminal justice system.
We have always been provided with self-defense laws then along comes SYG and self-defense becomes blurry. The boundaries of justice are unclear.
Defense attorneys now make Stand Your Ground claims in hundreds of cases per year. They have a strong incentive to do so because the burden of proving the defendant did not feel threatened now falls on the prosecution.
Then there is the moral code--the encouragement in our "civilized" society to use deadly force for anything and everything. Any time I feel threatened I am told it's just dandy to kill.
This is a risky, slippery slope.
Look at current society: Addiction, alcoholism, depression, road rage, disrespect, distrust, paranoia and just plain angry people. So we give them a gun and tell them "don't let anyone push you around"? What could possibly go wrong?

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
So? So.... Stand Your Ground or Shoot First laws are licenses to kill and they undermine the criminal justice system.
We have always been provided with self-defense laws then along comes SYG and self-defense becomes blurry. The boundaries of justice are unclear.
Defense attorneys now make Stand Your Ground claims in hundreds of cases per year. They have a strong incentive to do so because the burden of proving the defendant did not feel threatened now falls on the prosecution.
Then there is the moral code--the encouragement in our "civilized" society to use deadly force for anything and everything. Any time I feel threatened I am told it's just dandy to kill.
This is a risky, slippery slope.
Look at current society: Addiction, alcoholism, depression, road rage, disrespect, distrust, paranoia and just plain angry people. So we give them a gun and tell them "don't let anyone push you around"? What could possibly go wrong?
When protecting nuclear weapons a warning shot is not desired nor tolerated. Shoot to kill.

Sep 2017
Pennsylfaani
The justice system is broken and will only continue be dismantled as this country turns brown. I have a right to defend myself, and I would take pleasure in putting a bastard in the ground. Sick and twisted slave morality is to blame for this trend of wanting the police to do your dirty work for you. The pigs won't always be there, and they certainly won't always be on your side. Putting a man in jail for a few years means nothing to him if he's already been there four times.

Dec 2015
Arizona
The justice system is broken and will only continue be dismantled as this country turns brown. I have a right to defend myself, and I would take pleasure in putting a bastard in the ground. Sick and twisted slave morality is to blame for this trend of wanting the police to do your dirty work for you. The pigs won't always be there, and they certainly won't always be on your side. Putting a man in jail for a few years means nothing to him if he's already been there four times.

Sigh....and we are all wishing we were you. Just a little ray of sunshine.

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
Sicko reply. Killing is just a job that I got paid for in script.

Edit: Peter the Roman is a fair and honorable man just playing the Devil' Advocate.

Last edited:
Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
You could test that presumption only by attacking me, in which case we could ask your next of kin if my law was meaningless.
Your "law" only governs what action YOU take. The consequences of that action, including the legal ones, are out of your control. A "law" that governs only YOUR actions is pretty much NOT a "law" but rather your personal opinion and/or decision.
Now, please stop talking like an angry child.