Stand Your Ground Laws--Where do You Stand

Nov 2018
Montana
The justice system is broken and will only continue be dismantled as this country turns brown. I have a right to defend myself, and I would take pleasure in putting a bastard in the ground. Sick and twisted slave morality is to blame for this trend of wanting the police to do your dirty work for you. The pigs won't always be there, and they certainly won't always be on your side. Putting a man in jail for a few years means nothing to him if he's already been there four times.
SYG laws provide a lot of shelter for the fringe mentalities with impulse control and hence this is one of the BEST reasons against SYG laws....

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
The justice system is broken and will only continue be dismantled as this country turns brown. I have a right to defend myself, and I would take pleasure in putting a bastard in the ground. Sick and twisted slave morality is to blame for this trend of wanting the police to do your dirty work for you. The pigs won't always be there, and they certainly won't always be on your side. Putting a man in jail for a few years means nothing to him if he's already been there four times.
Well I think humanity should just jump into a big sweaty ball and fuck like coked-up gerbils until we all come out one nice even color. I visualize a nice coppery brown with wavy dark brown or black hair, amybe brown or hazel eyes. Women will probably have nicer butts and we will all be able to dance better.
if there is one thing that is fucking dumber than hating over religion it's got to be hating over the color of a person's skin.

Dec 2016
Canada
So? So.... Stand Your Ground or Shoot First laws are licenses to kill and they undermine the criminal justice system.
We have always been provided with self-defense laws then along comes SYG and self-defense becomes blurry. The boundaries of justice are unclear.
Defense attorneys now make Stand Your Ground claims in hundreds of cases per year. They have a strong incentive to do so because the burden of proving the defendant did not feel threatened now falls on the prosecution.
Then there is the moral code--the encouragement in our "civilized" society to use deadly force for anything and everything. Any time I feel threatened I am told it's just dandy to kill.
This is a risky, slippery slope.
Look at current society: Addiction, alcoholism, depression, road rage, disrespect, distrust, paranoia and just plain angry people. So we give them a gun and tell them "don't let anyone push you around"? What could possibly go wrong?
My vision starts clouding over when I come across back and forth legalese debates on the meaning and merits of laws and legal terminology. This is what peaks my interest, since the law is supposed to reflect the best ethics and moral principles of a society.

I don't know how much has changed in most US states today, but in Canada, the underlying principle of self-defense claims is that the victim..or potential victim is Allowed To Use Reasonable Force To Defend Him Or Herself. So, using excessive force....even if it does not result in death of an attacker, burgler, robber etc. can still leave the potential victim open to the charge of using unreasonable force to repel an attack or an invader.

A lot depends on the defender's capabilities to use force and the likelihood or unlikelihood that force can be avoided.....i.e. although rare, there have been cases where the defender was charged with aggravated assault for....what we might call getting in a few licks too many!

To me, allowing SYG laws and defenses have been adopted to promote a revenge culture looking for instant retribution. Not hard to see how this leads to very bad outcomes. And it's already being noticed that SYG doesn't work for most non-white minorities( especially if the assailant is white) or for poor people as compared to the rich and upper middle classes.

Dec 2016
Canada
I've always said that Frederick Nietszche was the worst thing that could have happened in philosophy at the end of the 19th century, in spite of all of the blathering apologists who prattle on about how his work was misinterpreted!

"Slave morality" and "master morality" are bullshit systems to explain and justify rule by the despots and psychopaths, and lead the feeble-minded into believing that their rule is just or at least inevitable!

Nov 2018
Montana
To Summarize:
1. SYG laws discourage the idea that under threat a person should de-escalate the situation by retreat, or other avoidance action and, hence, promotes the use of lethal force (usually by firearm) preferentially.
2. SYG laws have complicated civilian firearm homicide as the survivor has great cover by the law for a "self-defense" claim because the law creates an expectation that lethal force is justified rather than disproportionate.
3. Limited studies of states with SYG have suggested that when passed lethal force actions (homicide of all types) have increased.
The deadly consequences of ‘Stand Your Ground’ laws

Last edited:
Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
I’m certainly not going to retreat from a threat in my own home. But it raises the question. Would you kill if you didn’t have to?
As in the case I just posted what would YOU have done ?? I man has just kicked in the door of your house and he's standing there with a weapon ........................ what would you do next ??

Nov 2018
Montana
Jun 2018
South Dakota
As in the case I just posted what would YOU have done ?? I man has just kicked in the door of your house and he's standing there with a weapon ........................ what would you do next ??
Every scene is different. If I were armed with a gun I'd probably end up shooting but not after feeling my life threatened. There's a difference in what you see in a scene and what your gut tells you. If your gut tells you to shoot you'd best do it. There is opportunity for error no matter the situation which is what the anti gun crowd relies on, the ability to be able to call a certain percentage wrong in order to call gun ownership and the use of guns for self-defense wrong. This is IMO the reason why SYG has become popular, to protect the victim from prosecution by over zealous liberals.

OBTW, in the case of the use of SYG I like the "Best I be judged by twelve that carried by six" idea.