Statue of Liberty Poem to be changed

Sep 2017
Hell
You guys do know that the Statue of Liberty was a re-gift, right? It was ordered and meant as monument for the Suez Canal upon it's completion, but the ruler of Egypt went bankrupt, so the French artist shipped it off to America as a "gift". And the Lazarus poem was an advertisement to raise money for the pedestal and the assembly of statue parts that came in crates and worse assembly instructions than China's version of Ikea knockdown furniture.

May 2018
Chicago
Tell me, oh great Sage, how do you know my inner thoughts and actions? Seems to me, the only words that ring false are yours.
I don't have to guess your inner thoughts. You put them on display in this forum on a daily basis.

Let's make a list of questions for you regarding helping US citizens:

1. Do you support the rights of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender Americans regarding discrimination in marriage, employment, housing and public accommodations?

2. Do you support taxpayer-funded job training for those Americans who have been displaced by automation, technology and outsourcing?

3. Do you support universal health care for American citizens? I mean, it would be nice for people who have worked all their lives to not have to lose their retirement savings to health care bills or not have to file bankruptcy just because they got cancer or something similar.

4. Do you support Social Security?

5. Do you support public schools?

That's all for now. I'll have more questions later regarding you wishing to help US citizens.

Last edited:
Oct 2010
Colorado
You guys do know that the Statue of Liberty was a re-gift, right? It was ordered and meant as monument for the Suez Canal upon it's completion, but the ruler of Egypt went bankrupt, so the French artist shipped it off to America as a "gift". And the Lazarus poem was an advertisement to raise money for the pedestal and the assembly of statue parts that came in crates and worse assembly instructions than China's version of Ikea knockdown furniture.
So?

Aug 2019
De Congo
There was once a time when we needed to welcome more people.
We passed that point long ago.
We need a gradual reduction in population and not look for ways to keep adding to it.
I was hopeful we might see some relief when several 1000s of despondent Liberals pledged / vowed to move to Canada if Trump got elected.
What a surprise when those promises turned out to be a big disingenuous hoax...[lol]
Funny how I never heard ANY of these "Enlightened Progressive / Culturally Enriched White Sheeple" pledge to flee to wonderfully diverse and culturally vibrant Mexico with their very strict gun laws or to any other Brown Countries further south...[LOL]

Dec 2015
Arizona
There was once a time when we needed to welcome more people.
We passed that point long ago.
We need a gradual reduction in population and not look for ways to keep adding to it.
I was hopeful we might see some relief when several 1000s of despondent Liberals pledged / vowed to move to Canada if Trump got elected.
What a surprise when those promises turned out to be a big disingenuous hoax...[lol]
Funny how I never heard ANY of these "Enlightened Progressive / Culturally Enriched White Sheeple" pledge to flee to wonderfully diverse and culturally vibrant Mexico with their very strict gun laws or to any other Brown Countries further south...[LOL]
Headlines from Google:
U.S. Population hits 80 year low
U.S. Population Growing at the Lowest Rate since 1937
Fewer Births, More Deaths Result in Lowest U.S. Rate
What's Driving the Decline in U.S. Growth
World Population Growth Expected to Nearly Stop in 2100

In other news: Surge in baby boomers retiring to Mexico

Oct 2010
Colorado
Headlines from Google:
U.S. Population hits 80 year low
U.S. Population Growing at the Lowest Rate since 1937
Fewer Births, More Deaths Result in Lowest U.S. Rate
What's Driving the Decline in U.S. Growth
World Population Growth Expected to Nearly Stop in 2100

In other news: Surge in baby boomers retiring to Mexico
Clara, you really shouldn't bother some people with facts......

Jun 2019
NC
Emma Lazarus’s poem “The New Colossus” may not continue to be “part of the American ethos.” The famous passage reads in part: “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.”
“The amended excerpt (in notably less poetic language) reads: “Give me your tired and your poor — who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge.
This was simply a quote from Ken Cuccinelli, who stated what he would put, nothing more.