Stephen Hawking: Died at Age 76

Feb 2007
USA
May you Rest In Peace, Stephen.

And may your insights into the nature of the universe be carried forward with a new generation of scientists.

In this way, you won't be forgotten.

:(

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
He was handicapped?

:wink:
Stephen Hawking held the Lucasian Chair at Cambridge University, England. I feel more than sorry for the new person who holds the Lucasian Chair.

edit: Roger Penrose did the math for Hawking and the Lucasian Chair is mathematics. Roger Penrose is still alive and already won the Nobel for Math. Roger Penrose is a retiring sort of person but may step up.

Last edited:
Dec 2015
Arizona
Of all the diseases I truly believe Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis is the worst. Sometimes called Lou Gerhig disease, it slowly kills (3-5 years) by shutting down nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord, leaving the patient completely paralyzed. All body functions cease.

A very dear friend (our art teacher at school) contracted ALS when she was in her 50s. She was diagnosed in December and by April she needed a food tube. Soon she could no longer speak or move. Her son came to live with her (he was 25 yrs old). He took care of Sally until she died 2 years into the diagnosis. He changed her diaper, washed her, changed out her food tube, etc. AND keep in mind that the patient (Sally in this case) knows exactly what's going on. Unlike Alzheimer's. I can't think of a worse way to die.

Hawking was a very rare case. His particular brand of ALS allowed him to live decades--instead of months or years. There is no cure.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Stephen Hawking: Visionary physicist dies aged 76 - BBC News

As a believer I weep knowing that he died denying Christ. I am not one who will say hah, he knows the truth now as some will.
Better still he knew “the truth” while he was still alive. Hawking knew more about the universe than most anyone who has ever lived and openly declared that no God was needed to explain it. Should we trust his judgement or that of Bronze Age people who still thought the Earth was the center of the universe and that everything revolves around it?

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
The man knew one thing - how to live fifty years longer than any medical professional ever expected him to do!

RIP and keep on calculating, Stephen!