Stephen Hawking: Died at Age 76

Nov 2012
nirvana
Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
The man knew one thing - how to live fifty years longer than any medical professional ever expected him to do!

RIP and keep on calculating, Stephen!
When he was first diagnosed with ALS there was only one known kind. It turns out he had a rare form of ALS that progressed much slower than the usual form.

Oct 2010
Colorado
Better still he knew “the truth” while he was still alive. Hawking knew more about the universe than most anyone who has ever lived and openly declared that no God was needed to explain it. Should we trust his judgement or that of Bronze Age people who still thought the Earth was the center of the universe and that everything revolves around it?
I prefer, as Hawking did, to make up my own mind, and formulate my own understanding of truth.

Hawking was a great scientist and person, but he was not an avatar.

May 2018
East Coast Of U.S.A.
Hawking cared about the things that really mattered. If we lived in a world where people ran towards his intellect, instead of the opposite direction, the world would be a very different place. RIP Dr Hawking.
To Skews13: He caught a bad break but he lived thru it for many years. Nevertheless, his intellect addressing the most profound questions never impressed me. There are lot of places where I find him absurd, most notably these few:

In "Brief Answers to the Big Questions," the British scientific hero admitted he thought "there is no god" and that humans would eventually live in space.​

XXXXX

He's now revealed his thoughts on some of the toughest questions in science today, including the existence of God, time travel and the future of artificial intelligence.​
You can read his answers to 10 of the most pressing questions below.​

This is nonsensical:

2. The future of A.I.​
Hawking is convinced that computers are "likely to overtake humans in intelligence" at some point in the next 100 years.​
"We may face an intelligence explosion that ultimately results in machines whose intelligence exceeds ours by more than ours exceeds that of snails," he said.​
He also warned over the risks: "When that happens, we will need to ensure that the computers have goals aligned with ours.​
"It's tempting to dismiss the notion of highly intelligent machines as mere science fiction, but this would be a mistake — and potentially our worst mistake ever."​

Man invented time; so naturally he believes in time travel. See my response in #6 permalink:

Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life,

9. Time travel​
Stephen Hawking said that time travel is an important subject, but "one has to be careful not to be labelled a crank."​
He said he was concerned that applying for research grants for time travel research would be unsuccessful.​
"No government agency could afford to be seen to be spending public money as way out as time travel," Hawking wrote.​
"Instead one has to use technical terms like closed time-like curves which are code for time travel.​
"Yet it is a very serious question. Since general relativity can permit time travel, does it allow it in our universe?"​
Hawking famously held a party for time travelers in his Cambridge college in 2009.​
To make sure only time travelers came, he sent out the invitations after the party took place — but sadly, no one came.​

As far as I know, he never addressed the possibility that every life is the same size after physical death. Basically, every insect, fish, bird, and humans are equal if there is such a thing as “life’s essence” surviving after death.

10. Faith​
The late professor was an esteemed scholar, and so spent much of his time thinking about the world's biggest problems.​
And when it comes to religion, it's no surprise that Professor Hawking had plenty of opinions.​
"Do I have faith? We are each free to believe what we want, and it’s my view that the simplest explanation is that there is no God.

Hawking tells me that he is on the same page as those who believe in God. To him, there is nothing, or there is God. Something in-between was too much for his tunnel vision to handle.

"No one created the universe and no one directs our fate.​
"This leads me to a profound realisation: there is probably no heaven and afterlife either.​
"I think belief in an afterlife is just wishful thinking. There is no reliable evidence for it, and it flies in the face of everything we know in science.​
"I think that when we die we return to dust. But there’s a sense in which we live on, in our influence, and in our genes that we pass on to our children.​
"We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe, and for that I am extremely grateful."​
SCIENCE​
Published 1 day ago​
Stephen Hawking said 'there is no god' and that humans will 'live in space' in final book​
By Sean Keach | The Sun​