Stereotyping more common in those with high cognitive ability

Nov 2005
California
I actually think stereotyping can be beneficial if applied correctly. Yes, I said it. It CAN be good to stereotype.
If you're walking home late at night and someone walks towards you with a hoodie up, a bandanna over their face, tattoos up and down their arms and their hands tucked in their front pockets, is it okay for you to stereotype this person based on their looks and cross the street?
If you're a lawyer trying a case about a transgender person robbing a gas station and a transgender person shows up for jury selection, is it okay for you to stereotype them and NOT select them for the jury?
It's absolutely okay. When provided with a limited amount of information, you sometimes have to make judgements for your own best interests.
Let me clarify. I think stereotyping is okay in A. Select instances and B. When limited information is available.
Exactly!

You'll note the article actually includes TWO parts to its assessment:
a) A new study finds that people with higher cognitive abilities are more likely to learn and apply social stereotypes.
b) However, they also have the ability to more easily unlearn them when presented with new information.
It's part b) which is very important. Any fool can stereo-type. It's the capacity to recognize (and respond appropriately) when your "stereo-type theory" needs changing or is invalidated that demonstrates the intelligence.
Part a) is actually (IMO) referencing fools with "too open" of a mind. Refusing to recognize patterns which can be used to formulate a hypothesis or theory for an evaluation is also a sign of a foolish mind.

It's a pretty simple article. Maybe give it another shot.
UDub's statement was pretty simple. The article isn't the confusion.
Maybe you should try sounding out the words and not be so self-conscious over having to mouth them as you try to read them?
#sarcasm

Nov 2005
California
Sounds plausible...I can't say for sure, but the real left has been long irritated by the soft liberal approach on focusing on cosmetic changes like using proper language and following a list of do's and don't's in public....and liberalism isn't new or novel either!
The right is guilty of this as well. Their cosmetic focuses are just different.
For example, talking about "prayer in school" but failing to appreciate it's school endorsed prayer which is problematic.
Whining about things they see on TV and proclaiming that they shouldn't have to explain to their kids why they see this or that.

How about the whole "War on Christmas" thing???

A new study finds that people with higher cognitive abilities are more likely to learn and apply social stereotypes. However, they also have the ability to more easily unlearn them when presented with new information. There have been societies in the past which were very cosmopolitan and tolerant for very long periods of times.....centuries in fact. I would cite the long, peaceful eras of the first cities like Catalhoyuk in Southwest Turkey today as a prime example of a haphazard collection of concentrated settlement which grew to a population as high as 8,000 because of the high concentration of food sources available in the area 8 to 12000 years ago. Genetic analysis showed that settlers came from all directions who moved in and lived so crowded that in some areas, people would have walked across the mud-brick roofs of their neighbors houses to get back and forth through the 'city.' It's when times get hard, that's when liberalism is put to the test!
Or like when Pluto was a planet. But then it really wasn't.
And then conservatism...
#sarcasm

What the heck does your example have to do with liberalism?