Stereotyping more common in those with high cognitive ability

Nov 2005
California
I don't really give a crap because I'm neither a liberal nor a conservative! Both approaches have failed because they function within the limits allowed by capitalism.
Okay. I'm just trying to provide some overall context.
I do find your last statement thought provoking. :)

It was a follow-up to Bill's presentation ...
Okay. Thank you for explaining that.
I have him on ignore, which is good in some ways but then it leads to me failing to acknowledge the context of people's statements (like yours above).

I may have to re-evaluate including him on my ignore or else find another way to avoid such situations.

Dec 2018
New England
The reason stereotyping is so common is because, when used properly, it's a wildly successful behavior.

First, it's a cognitive function all humans exhibit and, as far as the historical record goes, one they have always shown. This strongly suggests it's genetically driven behavior like love, hate, familial affection, etc. And if that's the case, it's in our DNA because the behavior is, or at least was, a mental process that on balance did more good than harm when it came to survival in the wild.

Far from our ancestral environment on the plains of Africa, today it remains a good thing (again, when done appropriately). The science of stereotyping when applied in business is called "marketing," and there isn't a successful company in the world today that doesn't do it. In fact, any CEO caught not doing it will soon be an ex-CEO.

The trap is believing a stereotype must apply to a given individual when it's only a batting average.

Dec 2016
Canada
The reason stereotyping is so common is because, when used properly, it's a wildly successful behavior.

First, it's a cognitive function all humans exhibit and, as far as the historical record goes, one they have always shown. This strongly suggests it's genetically driven behavior like love, hate, familial affection, etc. And if that's the case, it's in our DNA because the behavior is, or at least was, a mental process that on balance did more good than harm when it came to survival in the wild.

Far from our ancestral environment on the plains of Africa, today it remains a good thing (again, when done appropriately). The science of stereotyping when applied in business is called "marketing," and there isn't a successful company in the world today that doesn't do it. In fact, any CEO caught not doing it will soon be an ex-CEO.

The trap is believing a stereotype must apply to a given individual when it's only a batting average.
I agree. We look for patterns and try to categorize everything in the world around us from the time we are infants. The first thing a baby does is try to things that are living and non-living...so animatronic toys can be disturbing.

There is not a whole lot of value in tsk tsking every inappropriate statement made and making that the focus of politically correct wrath EXCEPT a relatively small but powerful and vocal elite liberal class want to make discrimination issues all about appropriate vs inappropriate language and ignore or avoid discussing any real steps to eliminating poverty...which would eliminate at least 90% of the problem.

Dec 2018
New England
I agree. We look for patterns and try to categorize everything in the world around us from the time we are infants. The first thing a baby does is try to things that are living and non-living...so animatronic toys can be disturbing.

There is not a whole lot of value in tsk tsking every inappropriate statement made and making that the focus of politically correct wrath EXCEPT a relatively small but powerful and vocal elite liberal class want to make discrimination issues all about appropriate vs inappropriate language and ignore or avoid discussing any real steps to eliminating poverty...which would eliminate at least 90% of the problem.
By and large, liberals seek to control you. They wish you to say only what they approve of. They demand that you see the world as they do. They frequently insist the state enforce their world view on those who will not conform.