Steve Kerr says being called out by President Trump was 'surreal'

Nov 2005
California

A day after being called out by name by President Donald Trump in the wake of the NBA's ongoing situation in China, Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr described his own situation as "surreal" while pushing back against the president's comments.
"It was really surprising," Kerr said prior to Thursday's preseason game against the Minnesota Timberwolves. "But mainly just because it was me. Then you stop and you think, this is just every day. This is just another day. I was the shiny object yesterday. There was another one today; there will be a new one tomorrow. And the circus will go on. It's just strange, but it happened."
Kerr drew Trump's ire in a Wednesday news conference after Kerr, a frequent critic of the president, initially declined to comment on the NBA's handling of the ongoing backlash surrounding Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey's tweet supporting anti-government protesters in Hong Kong. Kerr, who has been outspoken on many social issues he feels passionately about over the years, said he wanted to learn more about the situation before fully commenting. After watching the video, Trump said Kerr looked like "a scared little boy," something Kerr made reference to in his initial remarks Thursday.
"If we had been thinking earlier I was going to ride in on a tricycle," Kerr said. "With one of those beanies with the propeller -- because he called me a little boy."
Kerr found out about Trump's remarks on Wednesday just minutes after conducting his daily news conference with the media. As he tried to process the ramifications of being called out publicly by the president, Kerr said he thought back to how he felt the office of president has changed over the years.
"I was thinking about my various visits to the White House," Kerr said. "I've lived a privileged life and met, I think, the past five previous presidents prior to President Trump. The first one was in 1984, and Ronald Reagan was president. He invited my mom and me, six months after my dad [Malcolm] was killed in a terrorist attack. President Reagan and Vice President [George H.W.] Bush invited us into the Oval Office, spent about half an hour with us thanking us for my dad's service -- he was in education. Thanking us for my dad's commitment to American values in the Middle East. Trying to promote peace in the Middle East. And all I could think of last night was the contrast of what has happened in 35 years. There was no regard for whose side you were on politically. Political party, anything like that. It was just, you were an American. The office held such dignity and respect. Both from the people who were visiting and especially the people who sat inside it. It's just sad it's come crashing down. That we are now living this.
"I realize the horse was out of the barn a long time on this. But for me personally, this was my experience with, wow, has the office sunken low. My hope is that we can find a mature unifier from either party to sit in that chair and try to restore some dignity to the Oval Office again, and I think it will happen."
Kerr said the backlash the league has received in China and the criticism he has received from Trump will not stop him from continuing to speak out on issues he believes in.
"Generally, my feeling is the things that I'm going to comment on are the things that I feel comfortable speaking about, things I feel well versed about," he said. "I comment a lot about gun safety. It's a cause that's very near and dear to my heart. It's very crucial for our country for our future. We face mass shootings literally every day. So I'm involved with four or five different gun safety groups. It's my pet cause. So I'm going to comment on it. It's my right. That's why I love being an American and love my country. I'm able to channel my energy and my resources to places where I want it to go. I feel really comfortable with that. There are places where I don't feel as comfortable. This would be one of them."

One of the things about Trump that just boggles my mind is to watch how people on the right react to Trump's boorish behavior.
His behavior is unbecoming of a POTUS. But for some on the right, they applaud his behavior. For others on the right, they still carry Trump's water in being silent about such behavior but still attacking liberals at any opportunity they see. For these, I've seen some people try to blame their party members' votes on Dems / liberals which is far from the ideals of "personal responsibility" that the Republican party proclaimed to uphold.
For still others, there are a few (a rare few) who will acknowledge Trump's behavior is wrong.

Apr 2019
America
Trump is president. That makes his behavior presidential. It is what he thinks, not you or any so called journalist or washed up politicians (Killary). Trump will not be the only one hated out there and if he chooses Kerr that is his perogative. If you dish it out, expect a dishful of it back.

Nov 2005
California
Trump is president. That makes his behavior presidential.
By this logic, when an abortion is carried out by a doctor, that makes it medical. Nothing more needs to be said, right?
If a doctor were to perform a mercy killing, that too would be medical and no more thought put into it.
Heck, if a doctor were to harvest organs from an unwilling person, that also would be medical and we don't need to say anything more about the right and wrong of the situation...
#sarcasm

On another note, this level of thinking was clearly not applied when Obama was in office, so it's obviously another cheap ploy to avoid acknowledging Trump's boorish behavior.

It is what he thinks, not you or any so called journalist or washed up politicians (Killary). Trump will not be the only one hated out there and if he chooses Kerr that is his perogative. If you dish it out, expect a dishful of it back.
Can you tell me exactly what Kerr "dished out" to warrant Trump's response?

I'll answer my own question.
Kerr said he would not comment on the China situation. That's it.
Trump took offense to that and TRUMP is the one who went onto the attack against Kerr.

Ignorant people like you back Trump even though you have no clue what is going on, because what is going on is irrelevant to your interest to back Trump.
The facts do not matter regarding Trump's actions. You'll lie and obfuscate for him regardless.

Last edited:
Aug 2018
been around
It has been surreal to watch these athletes come out in support of a regime that brutally suppresses ethnic and religious minorities. Yikes.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
It has been surreal to watch these athletes come out in support of a regime that brutally suppresses ethnic and religious minorities. Yikes.
You mean like Trump does in Russia, Saudi, NorK and China?

If China is so evil, why is Trump trying so hard to kiss Xi's ass and do a deal with them? Why does Ivanka do all that business over there? But I'm sure you can't see the hypocrisy you display.

Reactions: foundit66
Aug 2018
been around
You mean like Trump does in Russia, Saudi, NorK and China?

If China is so evil, why is Trump trying so hard to kiss Xi's ass and do a deal with them? Why does Ivanka do all that business over there? But I'm sure you can't see the hypocrisy you display.

erm, Trump does not rule in any of the countries you mentioned, he is President of the United States.

You're saying Trump is 'kissing Xi's ass'? you do not remember the tariffs and trade war against China Trump has been waging? It's been in the news a lot lately.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
erm, Trump does not rule in any of the countries you mentioned, he is President of the United States.

You're saying Trump is 'kissing Xi's ass'? you do not remember the tariffs and trade war against China Trump has been waging? It's been in the news a lot lately.
Donald Trump: I have great respect for Chinese President Xi Jinping

Trump says China's Xi has acted responsibly amid the HK protests

Trump says Xi wrote him ‘beautiful letter’ on trade

Donald Trump reveals he called Xi Jinping ‘king’ – and says Xi liked it

And there are tons more.

Reactions: foundit66