Stormy Weather

Jul 2015
chicago
That is just stupid. It is a set reference point. Well come to Jr. High science. You flunked it, didn't you.
Its an artificial point.
I have a minor from university in geography. Climate and weather systems was part of my studies. Sure its a minor but its not like all of the "experts" I have to listen to who watched a YouTube video once.

Feb 2007
USA
OK I'll bite. Why did the temperature go slightly colder?
If you take a look at the Marcott et al study, which I cited and provided the link to, you will find the following figure.:

And what it shows in A, B, & C is the change in insolation at two different periods of the year and the annual mean from the early Holocene thru modern times.

And in more layman's terms, the pattern of sunlight hitting the earth shifted a bit over time due to earth's orbital changes. And during the early Holocene that pattern acted to essentially heat earth up a bit. And then as that pattern changed as time progressed thru the Holocene, the sun had less of an affect of heating earth up...of which, with all other forcings being constant, would lead to a cooling effect. Hence, the downward sloping temperature line starting around 3,000 BC. Of course, there were other likely forcings. But, this change in earth's orbit certainly played an important role...and it still does (though its effect is counteracted by increasing greenhouse gases in Earth's atmosphere.)

Last edited:
Jul 2015
chicago
And in more layman's terms, the pattern of sunlight hitting the earth shifted a bit over time due to earth's orbital changes. And during the early Holocene that pattern acted to essentially heat earth up a bit. And then as that pattern changed as time progressed thru the Holocene, the sun had a lessing of an affect of heating earth up...of which, with all other forcings being constant, would lead to a cooling effect. Hence, the downward sloping temperature line starting around 3,000 BC. Of course, there were other likely forcings. But, this change in earth's orbit certainly played an important role.
So in other words, The temperature changed naturally because the earth has a history of constantly changing up and down.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Its an artificial point.
I have a minor from university in geography. Climate and weather systems was part of my studies. Sure its a minor but its not like all of the "experts" I have to listen to who watched a YouTube video once.
It is not artificial. Read Baloney Detector's post. Although I doubt you will understand it.

Jul 2015
chicago
It is not artificial. Read Baloney Detector's post. Although I doubt you will understand it.
Its bullshit. Did you not notice that the chart also supposes a 3 degree increase in temperature in the future. Another point of bullshit. Assuming the temps will go up an entire 3 degrees.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Its bullshit. Did you not notice that the chart also supposes a 3 degree increase in temperature in the future. Another point of bullshit. Assuming the temps will go up an entire 3 degrees.
And what do you base that conclusion on, reading of the entrails of the last chicken you killed?

Feb 2007
USA
Its an artificial point.
Call it whatever you like.

But mathematically it makes no difference in the outcome.

Indeed, in effect, it is no different from saying the high temperature today was ten degrees warmer than the high temperature yesterday, instead of saying the high temperature today was 70 degrees and the high temperature yesterday was 60 degrees.

It is just that it is far more useful to work in terms of temperature anomalies when doing calculations of the average global surface temperature than it is to work in terms of whole degrees.