Study: Lack of tolerance, institutional confidence threaten democracies

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
We are watching this play out in our nation, with the right side's incessant attacks upon the media and a president who advises us not to believe what we see and hear as he calls the media the enemy of the people.

The stability of democracies worldwide could be vulnerable if certain cultural values continue to decline, according to a new study published in Nature Human Behaviour.​
The findings by researchers from the United States and New Zealand are based on an analysis of survey data from 476,583 individuals in 109 countries.​
"It is often taken for granted that democratic culture will just follow once democratic institutions have been installed," said Damian Ruck, a postdoctoral research fellow in UT's Department of Anthropology. "But when looking at the data we see democratic cultural values, such as openness and tolerance, precede both economic developmentand democratization."​
"This has important policy implications," Ruck said. "It suggests that democratic institutions will not be sustained in nations where openness and tolerance, hallmarks of a liberal democracy, are low. The recent rise of nationalist politics could be cause for concern."​
Where confidence in institutions such as the government and the media is low, democracy tends to be unstable. In the study, some Western nations were among those with multidecade declines in institutional confidence, raising concerns of future political instability.​
"In the 20th century, we became accustomed to seeing low-confidence autocracies become democracies," Ruck said. "But our analysis shows that this also works the other way around: low-confidence democracies can turn towards autocracy."

Reactions: baloney_detector
Aug 2019
Albuquerque, NM
I just finished a book called Sapiens: A brief history of humankind and also reading "Thinking, Fast and Slow" I bookmarked severla passages that were so perfect to describe the phenomenon of right wingers. Basically there are a fast and a slow way of thinking. Fast is instinctual, quick, takes limited information, often is what lead to judgements. Slow aspect is to really think this through and take your time, get facts, absorb them. Slow rapidly takes a position based on what they know and the limited information they have obtained to make a snap decision or judgement. The less informed one is, the more likely they will jump to wrong conclusions. THis is what leads to the "belief" that people have and also when the slow, analytical thinking is lazy, resorts in seeking only reaffirming opinons and claiming the rest are false.

I don't have the book now, I have to find those passages and share some of them

Reactions: Clara007
Apr 2019
America
We are watching this play out in our nation, with the right side's incessant attacks upon the media and a president who advises us not to believe what we see and hear as he calls the media the enemy of the people.

The stability of democracies worldwide could be vulnerable if certain cultural values continue to decline, according to a new study published in Nature Human Behaviour.​
The findings by researchers from the United States and New Zealand are based on an analysis of survey data from 476,583 individuals in 109 countries.​
"It is often taken for granted that democratic culture will just follow once democratic institutions have been installed," said Damian Ruck, a postdoctoral research fellow in UT's Department of Anthropology. "But when looking at the data we see democratic cultural values, such as openness and tolerance, precede both economic developmentand democratization."​
"This has important policy implications," Ruck said. "It suggests that democratic institutions will not be sustained in nations where openness and tolerance, hallmarks of a liberal democracy, are low. The recent rise of nationalist politics could be cause for concern."​
Where confidence in institutions such as the government and the media is low, democracy tends to be unstable. In the study, some Western nations were among those with multidecade declines in institutional confidence, raising concerns of future political instability.​
"In the 20th century, we became accustomed to seeing low-confidence autocracies become democracies," Ruck said. "But our analysis shows that this also works the other way around: low-confidence democracies can turn towards autocracy."

Hold on a second here. The MSM has been wrong on so many things and have been caught red handed quite a few times. The intolerance is on the Left with its PC and cancel culture. Your article is projection, the oldest trick in the propaganda hand book. Accusing the other side of what you are doing yourself.

Reactions: BondJmsBond
Sep 2019
CA

Let's for one second all be open minded, myself included.

I've lived through a number of presidencies in my life and I remember the news and how they report from as early as I can recall to now. Both parties have a lot of negative things they've done over the years so throwing mud is both unnecessary and doesn't get us anywhere. I remember the Reagan assassination attempt and how badly the media reported it back then and it was pretty awful. Some networks reported he wasn't hit, others reported there were multiple assailants, others said his hair was the wrong color. It was pretty awful all around and everyone beat up the media for the mistakes...which they continue to make today sadly.

The media isn't perfect. They have 2 jobs to do, 1 report "news", and 2 increase/keep their audience. The truth is, as we all know...it's all about money. Without an audience, there are no sponsors and without them, they close their doors. So, the Media has to retain their audience or they will lose sponsors and eventually close. How do they do this? They do so by selecting the "News" they think will ENTERTAIN and interest their audience. Basically, they have to put on a show to some point. Now all of this is relatively straight forward and I'm sure we can all agree, there is nothing I've said that isn't true and honest.

So let's look at any media outlet, each has to retain and even grow their audience to continue to earn sponsors. So, how do they report a real news story if it causes their audience to turn them off? Honestly, they can't...more than a couple times before they lose their audience completely and in turn lose their sponsors. So, if let's say CNN had a story discussing some of the good things a president has done for our country, and most of their audience didn't like the president...well, their audience would turn them off or switch channels. What if they did it repeatedly...they risk losing their entire audience who would rather tune into a station that doesn't try and state good things about the president they hate. So what does CNN do...they double down and continue to pound their hate drum to keep their base audience tuned in so they keep their sponsors and their jobs. Problem is, that's not news...that's what we referred to as Yellow Journalism. Milestones: 1866–1898 - Office of the Historian

Today, we see more sensationalism than news worthy stories because everyone is worried about keeping their audience and putting on a show to draw in a bigger audience. News is moving more towards sensationalism and nothing more. Even Modern Day Yellow Journalism link shows some amazing examples of yellow journalism in today's world as part of a college class students can learn about for mass media. To say yellow journalism doesn't exist is to deny reality. To say that our news media isn't making every effort, including sensationalism to keep their audience and even grow their audience in any way they can is naive at best.

So, if we are to evaluate our news media, and I mean ALL of them and each of them, we see countless examples where they leaned toward sensationalism over actual news content. I don't blame them (entirely), they are running a business and have to keep it making money. I do however need to stop people from playing dumb and thinking that the media isn't sensationalizing and editing actual news content to appeal to their base audience.

Let's look at the claims of President Trump calling the media "fake news". Would it be better if he called them Yellow Journalism instead because everyone of them are responsible for that without any doubt. What about all the stories news agencies don't present because they might lose their audience? Don't you think CNN would rather speak about the president negatively rather than identify the success stories he's had during any year of his presidency? There's a term called Lie by omission which is defined as: "when a person leaves out important information or fails to correct a pre-existing misconception in order to hide the truth from others." So, let's consider then what each of these networks do on a regular basis...they lie by omission because they choose what stories they present to their audience so they don't LOSE their audience. Lying by omission is absolutely what everyone MUST do though to keep their base...so can we blame them for doing their job and keeping their audience entertained? Actually, yes we can blame them because at some point they are no longer a news agency and are an opinion show. Consider for one second the news coverage when Obama gave Iran about 50 billion in frozen assets without congressional approval. Most downplayed the act and didn't report it as largely as they should even though it was unheard of for a president to ignore procedure like that. Now consider the wall that Trump wants to build...most media goes out of their way to admonish the idea even though Hillary Clinton, Obama, Schiff and many more democrats all voted for the same exact thing themselves and the media even forgot that California, a major democratic party state, built a wall in San Diego and admits that it works well. The media spent weeks, months and years admonishing "Trump's" plan even though it was originally presented by democrats who approved of the plan when they created it for national security. Why do you think the media didn't fairly report this information? Simply put...because they'd lose their loyal audience and viewers. When everyone else is busy spewing hate at the hated president, reporting the truth didn't seem like a reasonable idea. Even CNN contacted a news agency in San Diego that was originally vehemently opposed to the wall in their city. When they learned that the news agency changed their opinion and now love the wall for what it's done locally, CNN dropped them. San Diego TV station: CNN didn't want our 'local view' when it found out officials like the wall

Last edited:
Sep 2019
CA
We have to stop this finger pointing and recognize that the news is only presenting what they WANT to present so they can keep their ratings. When we stop blindly defending them, we'll be able to recognize the sensationalism and lack of news and tune them all out. By doing so, we'll all send the message that we want real news and that's what we're going to tune in for...not your bias, not sensationalism, but actual news. I googled examples of bias in news and found this site...don't know anything about it but honestly, who cares...it's a starting point for everyone to do their own research and look for their own facts. Examples of Media Bias

It's time we all stop playing ignorant and we realize that the media today is truly bordering on Yellow Journalism and not news worthy content anymore. For that alone, I have to admit they aren't worth watching much of the time.

Jan 2015
MD
We have to stop this finger pointing and recognize that the news is only presenting what they WANT to present so they can keep their ratings. When we stop blindly defending them, we'll be able to recognize the sensationalism and lack of news and tune them all out. By doing so, we'll all send the message that we want real news and that's what we're going to tune in for...not your bias, not sensationalism, but actual news. I googled examples of bias in news and found this site...don't know anything about it but honestly, who cares...it's a starting point for everyone to do their own research and look for their own facts. Examples of Media Bias

It's time we all stop playing ignorant and we realize that the media today is truly bordering on Yellow Journalism and not news worthy content anymore. For that alone, I have to admit they aren't worth watching much of the time.
That’ll never happen. Outrage sells.

Jan 2015
MD
Donald Trump is just a symptom of the malaise that is currently affecting our culture. The American media is a cesspool of misinformation, and now it is no longer trusted. Donald Trump uses this mistrust to great effect.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
Hold on a second here. The MSM has been wrong on so many things and have been caught red handed quite a few times. The intolerance is on the Left with its PC and cancel culture. Your article is projection, the oldest trick in the propaganda hand book. Accusing the other side of what you are doing yourself.
And you think this is something new? Do you think there’s ever been a time when the news was 100 percent accurate? Do you think having a brain is optional in a democratic nation?

Trump manufactured the fake news “crisis” as a political ploy to suck in the brainless and to cover his lying ass. It worked as is demonstrated continuously here, the brainless part I mean.......