Study: Lack of tolerance, institutional confidence threaten democracies

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
Thought police? You mean Google and Twitter? They do the censoring. Who has
Trump even tried to censor?
You are a bloody dishonest dude, you know that? You make up stuff out of thin air, like asking me what did Trump try to censor.

It’s your team calling fake news continuously. Sometimes you have a point. Other times it’s nothing but ass-covering bullshit, more times than not in fact.

Think really hard about what it means to have a free press, which we have, and please tell Mr Trump to STFU.

Reactions: Clara007 and Lyzza
Sep 2019
CA
You are a bloody dishonest dude, you know that? You make up stuff out of thin air, like asking me what did Trump try to censor.

It’s your team calling fake news continuously. Sometimes you have a point. Other times it’s nothing but ass-covering bullshit, more times than not in fact.

Think really hard about what it means to have a free press, which we have, and please tell Mr Trump to STFU.
Listen, I do support Trump and plan to vote for him for a second term but even I have to admit he needs to put a sock in it. He often tweets or talks out his ass and I honestly don't know if it's because he's not articulating his thoughts well enough and we're all left wondering WTF he's saying because we only got half of the story or he's just being reactive rather than calm.

I do like trump for helping to focus on the problems in our country and correct some of the bad deals other presidents (republican and democratic alike) have gotten us into. But even I will freely admit someone needs to find his mute button.

Apr 2019
America

You said thought police. If anyone is guilty, it is not Trump. I see no dishonesty in saying or asking that.

It’s your team calling fake news continuously.
And it is your side saying any source we believe is hopelessly biased. That is more projection on their part, since the bias is obvious, and essentially the same as calling things fake.

Last edited:
Jun 2019
ROT
I could have phrased it differently and all warm and fuzzy but it remains true non-the-less. I was ignorant of many facts of life until I went out and lived life and travelled the world. When I chose to live abroad and helped others it benefited me immensely. Both my step kids were the same in being ignorant and/or generally naive because they led sheltered lives in a bubble until I got them out in the world.

Wisdom comes with time and experience. Kids leaving college have neither in comparison to an older person but do have some in comparison to a child. If I were to come to you and say I believe in Santa because he brings me gifts every year, you'd assume I was a young child. Is it wrong to say I'm naive and ignorant to the truth that it's really my parents delivering presents under the guise of Santa? Nope, that's exactly true. It may not be warm and sweet but it's accurate.

If you or anyone comes to me and says Mixed Economy is the best form of Economy then I'd bet you are either in or just graduated college, or you haven't taken the time to really research the downsides and long term risks. Thus, by its very definition, you are naive and/or ignorant to the risks.

As the person I am, I am open to discussions, but the OP was being disrespectful so I felt no need to be kind in return and I called it like it is. I think a mixed economy does have some advantages but I also feel the same about a free market economy too. What I am concerned with are the disadvantages and how we can mitigate those disadvantages so they don't continue to damage our country.

So are you only wanting to call out what you feel is hypocritical or did you actually have something meaningful to add? I guess not...just more vitriol.
Nonetheless. That's how it's spelled. And Ricardo advocated for the poor and was rich, while Malthus, who Ricardo helped invest so he didn't stave, advocated for the rich. Start there with what I didn't learn in college, that wasn't my major.

And the only child you are dealing with so far is you for assuming far too much (and getting it - dead wrong).

Dec 2015
Arizona
Nope...I'm not calling anyone out...I used an example...which would you like me to use so I don't offend your sensitive feelings? would you like me to use NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, which?

It doesn't matter who we're talking about...all of them do it. That's what you refuse to grasp. I'm not playing favorites...I'm calling them ALLLLLLLLL out!!!

what's a scandal to you? A president using their power to inquire about someone? Name a single president that hasn't done it...all of them do it and if you think only this one has, you're being ignorant.

So what to you is a scandal worthy of news? Bill Clinton flying around on the Lolita Express with Epstein? Nixon and watergate? What classifies as a real scandal to you? I ask because both parties are littered with perfect examples and sitting here throwing out a tit for tat this person did this or that person did that is utterly useless since this is about the news. What we, the American people, need more than anything is actual news...not just the news a network wants to discuss while they hide the rest since it disparages their people...we need the truth.

To me, I understand there are a lot of politicians on both sides who are pretty flipping awful. I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm just saying that I think it's fair and much more honest if we get all the information and not just the info which applies to our enemies don't you? I voted for Obama and I was pissed when he bypassed congress and released money to Iran. Likewise I am exhausted from listening to the nonsense our president tweets on a daily basis but none the less...the impeachment was a complete waste of time like clinton's was. It's wasting countless tax dollars and distracting our government from helping our people...why....because rather than the media do stories on the current homeless crisis and how it's getting worse, we are covering stupid tweets by the president and a wasted impeachment process on the news. Meanwhile I watch as businesses are spending their own money to plant cactuses boulders to prevent homeless people from camping out and scaring away customers.

Obama didn't have the authority to give that money no matter what was signed...that's what you're missing. Consider how pissed you were when Trump began using money from other areas to build his wall. That was all legal and acceptable...what Obama did was not, sorry to point that out and yet no one called him out because everyone was either in love with him or scared to say anything against him and be labeled a racist for disagreeing with him. It's insane to me that while I can accept and acknowledge all the bad my party has done, people like you have blinders on and think your party walks on water. Well, they don't...and frankly its about high time everyone removed their heads from the ground and looked at what's going on everywhere by all groups and parties. I don't care who it is...we all need to be aware and come together regardless of opinion if we're to improve anything.

Listen, I get it...we disagree...but regardless of our disagreement, I still respect you and your opinions. I'd welcome the chance to debate you over a coffee or tea sometime because it's enjoyable for me to hear the counter arguments so I can reevaluate my position. However, with regards to the media...its ALL turning to yellow journalism and sensationalizing nonsense. Thanks for the history lesson you googled and pasted on here but again...yellow journalism is pretty easy to see in everyday life if you open your eyes and stop covering them.
No wonder you've become a Trump supporter. You certainly smack of the same kind of arrogance.
I don't refuse to GRASP anything and I gave you plenty of examples of not only WHAT the evil press reports, but HOW they report it and WHO they report, but YES---they all do it and thank God they do. I WANT to know what the president is doing. I want to know what he's saying. I want to know what's happening in this country from the TOP down. I also want to know what is happening in other countries and I'm always surprised that some ignorant nitwit--somewhere in this country--isn't interested in the down and dirty truth.
I also gave you plenty of examples of scandals. Go back and read the paragraph starting with "Lots of people make money from war.."
Moving on to Obama. You seem to think you are very well-informed, but you missed this tiny detail. Obama never needed congressional approval to release Iran's money because (and this is where so many people underestimate Obama)....THE agreement with Iran was NOT a treaty or an executive agreement or a signed document and the U.S. was one of six other countries who engaged in the agreement.
As far as yellow journalism is concerned.....I happen to appreciate it. I welcome it. I applaud competition. AND if the press is lying, it's MY JOB to fact check. The press, no matter how jaded--how sensationalized, is what saves us from becoming Russia or China or N Korea. NO ONE should fear the press and the very fact that Donald J Trump DOES fear the press says it all.
This is not the 19th century. We the people of the 21st century have resources---we have the capability and the education to sort and sift and determine truth from lies. That's MY JOB and YOUR job.
If you're going to vote for Trump, I'd suggest you get crackin' on some fact-checking.......unless you really DO NOT want the truth.
But hey, if you want to vote for the most corrupt president since Tricky Dick--that's up to you. Personally, I think it's shameful.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
You said thought police. If anyone is guilty, it is not Trump. I see no dishonesty in saying or asking that.

And it is your side saying any source we believe is hopelessly biased. That is more projection on their part, since the bias is obvious, and essentially the same as calling things fake.
I'm pretty sure you're a decent dude and that you're fairly intelligent, but, idolizing Trump takes a toll on a person, as it evidently has done to you. To wit, your comment above: "You said thought police." You reflexively defended Trump when the comment wasn't aimed at him. Once again:

imaginethat said:
And you think this is something new? Do you think there’s ever been a time when the news was 100 percent accurate? Do you think having a brain is optional in a democratic nation?

Trump manufactured the fake news “crisis” as a political ploy to suck in the brainless and to cover his lying ass. It worked as is demonstrated continuously here, the brainless part I mean.......
You are kidding right? A Russian asset, we have evidence. A rapist, we have evidence. A crook, we have evidence. All fake. The MSM did this to themselves and weasel words now make little or no difference.
I’m not kidding. When politicians speak, that’s news. Do you proprose censoring the media? Would you like a job working for the Thought Police?
First, you ignored all of my questions put to you, the only one which dealt with the Thought Police is right above and it surely isn't aimed at Trump. It was aimed at you, and you seem to have missed that it was.

It's your side wailing on and on about the fake news, so I'm trying to get you to explain what you see as a remedy. Censorship by the Thought Police? The establishment of the United States Fake News Guidelines and Penalties?

I'm asking -- tongue in cheek -- because besides dismissing accurate criticism of Trump as "hate," your side also dismisses accurate observations of him as "fake news." It's obvious, and it's undeniable that autocrats, dictators, and totalitarians always use this same ploy. I'm doing my best to help you see this pattern.

Reactions: Lyzza and Clara007
May 2019
California
Listen, I do support Trump and plan to vote for him for a second term but even I have to admit he needs to put a sock in it. He often tweets or talks out his ass and I honestly don't know if it's because he's not articulating his thoughts well enough and we're all left wondering WTF he's saying because we only got half of the story or he's just being reactive rather than calm.

I do like trump for helping to focus on the problems in our country and correct some of the bad deals other presidents (republican and democratic alike) have gotten us into. But even I will freely admit someone needs to find his mute button.
So you openly and gleefully support a criminal and mobbed up whore and foreign asset in the White House.

Why am I not in the least surprised?

Reactions: Lyzza
Apr 2019
America
I'm pretty sure you're a decent dude and that you're fairly intelligent, but, idolizing Trump takes a toll on a person, as it evidently has done to you. To wit, your comment above: "You said thought police." You reflexively defended Trump when the comment wasn't aimed at him. Once again:

First, you ignored all of my questions put to you, the only one which dealt with the Thought Police is right above and it surely isn't aimed at Trump. It was aimed at you, and you seem to have missed that it was.

It's your side wailing on and on about the fake news, so I'm trying to get you to explain what you see as a remedy. Censorship by the Thought Police? The establishment of the United States Fake News Guidelines and Penalties?

I'm asking -- tongue in cheek -- because besides dismissing accurate criticism of Trump as "hate," your side also dismisses accurate observations of him as "fake news." It's obvious, and it's undeniable that autocrats, dictators, and totalitarians always use this same ploy. I'm doing my best to help you see this pattern.
Again, more projection by you and the MSM. You speak of dictators as you endorse relentless propaganda and repetition. What do you think they do/did?

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
Honestly, as a whole, I'm not entirely sure. Individually, we all need to realize this is happening so when it does, we as individuals can write to the networks and make them aware that they are losing us as a viewer because they are missing stories, they are over sensationalizing, and they are failing to report the news as we want.

I do wish there were a better choice but this is all I can come up with. I have written to the networks and when it's 1 person, it's ignored. Though, if it were 1000's, they might pay more attention and possibly take the concerns under advisement.

All media sources are culpable for over sensationalism...and we all need to recognize this so we're not dismissing each other claiming its right wing or left wing nonsense. It's not...its simply yellow journalism and over sensationalizing by networks...all of them. I accept that we all have our opinions and I don't care what network you watch or choose...they are all doing it from what I can tell and it's getting worse because we are letting it happen.

If you can think or any solution as a whole though, I would love to consider it because frankly, it's time we reign in the silliness and start getting honest reporting so WE can make educated opinions and not opinions based on half truths or omissions of facts.
I think what to do is simple, and the same as always. Support education from the parents to the president, and get your news from many sources domestic and occasionally foreign.

Most of the time when I hear someone lament how the MSM doesn't cover this or that, I do a web search and find that in addition to the sensational, keep-us-in-business story, deeper stories, analyses, and opinion pieces also are available but I do have to look for them. I take in all my news via the internet and NPR. Every once in a while in a hotel room I look at TV news. It's so limited other than PBS. I wonder just how many people have TV as their main source of news.

Ironically, to me, FOX' fair and balanced claim has been BS until recently with Chris Wallace and Bret Baier really coming into their own. And, irony upon irony, now that FOX is better balanced, from the very top of the hill:

SMH........