Survial of the richest

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
One earns by honest acquisition, in whatever form.
So, one cannot apply some puritanical value to work in connection to earning because wealth by your definition only relates to acquisition that is not dishonest...
So, if Trump was less than honest, he does not deserve his wealth?
How does one "earn" money by gift or inheritance?

Dec 2015
Arizona
Inheriting the genes for a propensity toward conscientiousness doesn't change the fact that the effort is put forth by the conscientious person.
You may not have chosen your work ethic, but the work is still necessary for you to claim the ethic as yours.
Oh, did you think the Ovarian Lottery was just based on the gene pool? Sorry--no. Here are the winners:
Men
Healthy bodies
U.S. Citizens/First world countries
White
Financially stable parents
Intelligence
Education
Winning personality traits
Access to healthcare, technology, nutritious food

Research backs the claim that the circumstances you’re born into strongly affect your success. Being born rich is far more helpful in life than being born gifted, the Washington Post reports: “Economists found genetic endowments are distributed almost equally among children in low-income and high-income families. Success is not.”

Reactions: RNG
Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
Oh, did you think the Ovarian Lottery was just based on the gene pool? Sorry--no. Here are the winners:
Men
Healthy bodies
White
Intelligence
Education

Research backs the claim that the circumstances you’re born into strongly affect your success. Being born rich is far more helpful in life than being born gifted, the Washington Post reports: “Economists found genetic endowments are distributed almost equally among children in low-income and high-income families. Success is not.”
If only children in Bangladesh just worked harder, they too could be billionaires!

• Haha
Reactions: RNG and Clara007
May 2019
US
So, one cannot apply some puritanical value to work in connection to earning because wealth by your definition only relates to acquisition that is not dishonest...
So, if Trump was less than honest, he does not deserve his wealth?
How does one "earn" money by gift or inheritance?
The question was about earning. Most wealth is earned. This doesn't imply that unearned wealth is not wealth. Only that most wealth is earned (in free market economies).
You're right to point out gifted money, as it is acquired honestly but can hardly be said to be earned. Perhaps I should say to earn something is to acquire it through honest effort.
Now I feel inclined to me too. That most generational wealth is not a product of monetary inheritance, as most inherited wealth isnt acquired until after the benefactor had already made their wealth (or failed to) in adulthood

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
The question was about earning. Most wealth is earned. This doesn't imply that unearned wealth is not wealth. Only that most wealth is earned (in free market economies).
You're right to point out gifted money, as it is acquired honestly but can hardly be said to be earned. Perhaps I should say to earn something is to acquire it through honest effort.
Now I feel inclined to me too. That most generational wealth is not a product of monetary inheritance, as most inherited wealth isnt acquired until after the benefactor had already made their wealth (or failed to) in adulthood
I am not sure what your point is here. You apparently have not heard of trusts or method of wealth transfer before death.
Nevertheless, the central myth is that wealth is "earned" solely by the effort of one person who just strives hard to succeed.
That myth, of course, also supports the corollary idea that the wealthy are somehow harder workers, more honest, more clever, or more pragmatic than the rest of us. Nothing could be further from the truth. Wealth that is earned is a product of opportunity, fortuitous risk-taking (often with other peoples money), good luck, mentoring (usually), favorable financial instruments, stable environment (or the capacity to create social stability), grit, and some intelligence for outside the box thinking. Wealth is poorly correlated to honesty or hard work.. So, it should NEVER be confused for being an indicator of someone's inherent value as a human.

May 2019
US
Men
Healthy bodies
White
Intelligence
Education

Are you not aware of the genetic aspects of your own list?
Nonetheless, mine was merely an example. Much of what successful people inherit are environmental qualities to be sure. The values that children inherit have more to do with their success than the money they get when their parents eventually die. But we can't pretend that a good education happens without the effort of the student.
I haven't read your source yet. When I do, I'll look at the primary source material and let you know if the article is garbage or not.

May 2019
US
Men
Healthy bodies
White
Intelligence
Education

On second thought, a reading of primary sources doesn't seem necessary. College graduation rates and years of education is a poor measure of success. Furthermore, the educational achievement of reasonably intelligent people has less to do with genes and more to do with values (which can be inherited). There are plenty of small business millionaires who were raised poor and built their blue collar business off a welding certificate or the construction skills learned on the job. They wouldn't rate as successful in your article.

May 2019
US
I am not sure what your point is here. You apparently have not heard of trusts or method of wealth transfer before death.
Nevertheless, the central myth is that wealth is "earned" solely by the effort of one person who just strives hard to succeed.
That myth, of course, also supports the corollary idea that the wealthy are somehow harder workers, more honest, more clever, or more pragmatic than the rest of us. Nothing could be further from the truth. Wealth that is earned is a product of opportunity, fortuitous risk-taking (often with other peoples money), good luck, mentoring (usually), favorable financial instruments, stable environment (or the capacity to create social stability), grit, and some intelligence for outside the box thinking. Wealth is poorly correlated to honesty or hard work.. So, it should NEVER be confused for being an indicator of someone's inherent value as a human.
Perhaps we have different ideas of what it means to have wealth or be wealthy. You don't seem to see the roles of honesty and hard work in your list. Grit, ocial stability, opportunity...these are linked with hard work and honesty.
Perhaps too you misunderstand the central myth as concluding that hard work is sufficient for success. It's not. A Walmart door greater may be working as hard as they possibly can. But hardwork is necessary. Regardless of other endowments