SUVs, why do people drive these things?

Aug 2019
Albuquerque, NM
I have a small car, can't really fit much in the trunk. If it go camping, I fill the entire trunk and back seat to get all the stuff in there. Doesn't handle as well on the snow, low to the ground if have to off road it. So makes sense getting an SUV. You can't move anything in a normal car. My car also has not great gas mileage

Personally, I would want something like an outback. ability for 4 wheel drive and storage space

Reactions: tecoyah
Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
Nope...I am a grown man who has taste and ego.
This is really quite interesting of a concept.
I can understand buying let's say a expensive edition Camaro or Mustang to foster the image of an American sports car or muscle car enthusiast.
A loaded Caddie or Lincoln to signal, "I got a few bucks".
A Bentley or Rolls to say "Hey, I'm fucking loaded ladies!"
But buying a vehicle to signal, "I'm a badass" that might beat you with a baseball bat for driving too slow??? :cool:

Reactions: thor gonzales
Sep 2019
U.S.A.
This is really quite an interesting concept.
I can understand buying let's say an expensive edition Camero or Mustang to foster the image of an American sports car or muscle car enthusiast.
A loaded Caddie or Lincoln to signal, "I got a few bucks".
A Bentley or Rolls to say "Hey, I'm fucking loaded ladies!"
But buying a vehicle to signal, "I'm a badass" that might beat you with a baseball bat for driving too slow??? :cool:
It would seem you have an "Interesting" mentality that you are trying to project on ME....it is not appreciated. I drive that vehicle because it fits my lifestyle and appearance, as well as being a very dependable and safe SUV. The car is bad ass not me and you seem strangely fixated on the term...I am left to imagine why. There is no reason for you to take this to unpleasantry and I suggest you avoid doing so, judging by your history here the results of pushing me to a tit for tat situation will not be beneficial to your persona.

Last edited:
Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
It would seem you have an "Interesting" mentality that you are trying to project on ME....it is not appreciated. I drive that vehicle because it fits my lifestyle and appearance, as well as being a very dependable and safe SUV. The car is bad ass not me and you seem strangely fixated on the term...I am left to imagine why. There is no reason for you to take this to unpleasantry and I suggest you avoid doing so, judging by your history here the results of pushing me to a tit for tat situation will not be beneficial to your persona.
Didn't intend for you to take my comments so personally.

Reactions: tecoyah
Feb 2018
Oregon
Dreadful, ugly and just bad all around. Why?

I HATE these awful vehicles. Why would anyone want one? If any of you have one, yes- I'm calling you out. Because yes, you suck.
I just bought a 2020 Toyota Rav4 hybrid. Is that an SUV? If it is, thanks for alerting me that I suck. I'm getting an average of barely over 40 MPG whether I drive highway or city. And I got the Rav4 because we have two dogs and we sometimes have them in the car with groceries in the far back behind a screen barrier while we stop and shop at another location. It works for us and enables us to keep the pooches out of the chow.

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
People, don't get so worked up over sales/marketing ploys.
At some point in time it became easier to sell a vehicle by calling it an SUV instead of a station wagon or a van or a mini-van or a grocery & kid hauler.
Many now have no more off road capabilities that my front wheel drive Sonata.