SUVs, why do people drive these things?

Sep 2019
U.S.A.
People, don't get so worked up over sales/marketing ploys.
At some point in time it became easier to sell a vehicle by calling it an SUV instead of a station wagon or a van or a mini-van or a grocery & kid hauler.
Many now have no more off road capabilities that my front wheel drive Sonata.
I am guessing you have not driven or used a quality SUV as they are far from any station wagon or mini van ever created, which is why they have a different name. The vehicle I drive is quite powerful and raised high enough to go off road but not so high as to be unstable...think of it as a beefy sportscar. The vehicle also uses active radar for collision avoidance, has 9 air bags just in case, more than enough power to speed away from the excessive bad drivers and trucks and more electronics than my computer. It is a phone and navigation system with better sound than my home stereo system. Vehicles are generally pride inducing for many reasons, but for me it involves the look and quality surrounding me.

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
I am guessing you have not driven or used a quality SUV as they are far from any station wagon or mini van ever created, which is why they have a different name. The vehicle I drive is quite powerful and raised high enough to go off road but not so high as to be unstable...think of it as a beefy sportscar. The vehicle also uses active radar for collision avoidance, has 9 air bags just in case, more than enough power to speed away from the excessive bad drivers and trucks and more electronics than my computer. It is a phone and navigation system with better sound than my home stereo system. Vehicles are generally pride inducing for many reasons, but for me it involves the look and quality surrounding me.

That's nice...you're taking this all far too seriously.

BTW, all the gadgets you mention are available in cars.

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
Yet the style and utility are not....thus my choice.

Enough said though, as you indicate.
Indeed, it's simply a matter of how one personally chooses to set their priorities, allocate their funds. And, of course, that is your choice, your right.
I drive a modest car, a late model Hyundai Sonata, live in a modest apartment in mid-town Memphis.
I'd simply rather allocate my funds elsewhere. I want to go lay on the beach on the Pacific coast of Mexico for a month, do a little deep-sea fishing, I can.
I want to fly to Vegas and hang out, see a few shows, i can. I've seen people with so much money in their home and vehicles they can't do much more that sit on the couch, watch TV and look at their $50,000 SUV through the window.
Of course, I'm also single, retired, kids all grown and i can go and do as i please w/o answering to anyone.

Reactions: tecoyah

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
I just bought a 2020 Toyota Rav4 hybrid. Is that an SUV? If it is, thanks for alerting me that I suck. I'm getting an average of barely over 40 MPG whether I drive highway or city. And I got the Rav4 because we have two dogs and we sometimes have them in the car with groceries in the far back behind a screen barrier while we stop and shop at another location. It works for us and enables us to keep the pooches out of the chow.
It's that 40 in the city that is saving the planet. Or at least helping a bit.

Feb 2018
Oregon
It's that 40 in the city that is saving the planet. Or at least helping a bit.
If charging stations were as available as gas stations, I'd have an electric car. THAT would be a step toward saving the planet which could be built on by transitioning to solar and wind power generation. At least here in the Pacific Northwest much of our electric power is hydro-generated, plus some wind and solar but the rest is gas and oil.

Sep 2019
U.S.A.

There are many options out there.

Dec 2018
New England
Dreadful, ugly and just bad all around. Why?

I HATE these awful vehicles. Why would anyone want one? If any of you have one, yes- I'm calling you out. Because yes, you suck.
Because if you live in the northeast, have a family to get from point A to B, and the weather is bad you quickly learn that a bog standard minivan handles only slightly better than a toboggan.

Reactions: tecoyah
Jan 2020
Congo Free State, Africa
Sometimes you just need more room. I checked and what makes sense isn't really an SUV.

1.jpeg

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee

Sorry dude but Hollywood is NOT wrong. The original SUV's were TRUCK based. Basically pickups with campers shells. Extend the roof and finish the interior. The Jeep Grand Wagoneer, Suburban, Bronco, Blazer and the International Travall and Scout were among the first. But make no mistakes, they were TRUCKS. Rough riding and shitty gas mileage. Station wagons were car-based. Sedans with long roofs and the trunk area now part of the interior.

Today ONLY the very large SUV are still truck-based, Tahoe/Suburban, Escalade, Navigator, Expedition, Armada and Sequoia.

Today's SUVs are nothing more than yesterday's station wagons. Like station wagons, they are car-based only jacked a few inches up to look "truckish". They're called crossovers. Your cute little Lexus is nothing more than gussied up Camry !!!!

Station wagons were popular because they were practical. They rode, drove and handled better than any truck could ever hope. Generally got somewhat better mileage, tho back then nothing got what we would call decent mileage. So make no mistake. Today's crossover SUV is nothing more than the rebirth of the station wagon. They're practical and most are reasonably fuel-efficient for their size and weight. But at their heart, they are nothing more than CARS with long roofs.

The TRUTH is, mini-vans are still INFINITELY more practical. They haul more people and cargo, get the same or better mileage, and handle better. But a beige Toyota Siena just isn't as sexy a cute little sport ute.

Reactions: Hollywood and RNG