SUVs, why do people drive these things?

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Sometimes you just need more room. I checked and what makes sense isn't really an SUV.

View attachment 7919

Quite frankly, these are enormously practical for the average suburbanite. Plenty of room on the back seats for REAL adults and growing teens. Easy for older folks to get into and out of. Flip down the back seats when you need to haul something. Great gas mileage. Great practical transportation for the price. Both Toyota and Kia were surprised. They created these for the younger generations but older people LOVE the hell out of them and make up the majority of their buyers.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Quite frankly, these are enormously practical for the average suburbanite. Plenty of room on the back seats for REAL adults and growing teens. Easy for older folks to get into and out of. Flip down the back seats when you need to haul something. Great gas mileage. Great practical transportation for the price. Both Toyota and Kia were surprised. They created these for the younger generations but older people LOVE the hell out of them and make up the majority of their buyers.
Yup. That's what me and Mrs. RNG have.

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
What is that, a Kia SOUL?

Oct 2018
US
Dreadful, ugly and just bad all around. Why?

I HATE these awful vehicles. Why would anyone want one? If any of you have one, yes- I'm calling you out. Because yes, you suck.
I drive an SUV because I have to.
I’m a musician and I need my SUV to cart my gear around in.

Not everyone who drives an SUV sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
I drive an SUV because I have to.
I’m a musician and I need my SUV to cart my gear around in.

Not everyone who drives an SUV sucks.

A minivan would be infinitely more practical. Just sayin. But like tens of millions of others, you’ve convinced yourself a taller, heavier, SUV with less interior space is the way to go.

Oct 2018
US
A minivan would be infinitely more practical. Just sayin. But like tens of millions of others, you’ve convinced yourself a taller, heavier, SUV with less interior space is the way to go.
Actually I have convinced myself that all the weight I have to carry needs a beefier suspension.

I had a minivan. When it was fully loaded it was too low to the ground, so I bought an Atlas.

Reactions: tecoyah
Sep 2019
U.S.A.
I would recommend you avoid getting an SUV and let me drive mine in peace....I get great mileage and love my car even if you hate it.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
I would recommend you avoid getting an SUV and let me drive mine in peace....I get great mileage and love my car even if you hate it.

I truly don’t care what you drive. Drive an H1 Hummer for all I care. I have an SUV. It’s 22 years old and was never intended to be my daily driver, but life had other plans. C’est la vie ! It’s paid for, still reliable, straight, and rust free.

I just hate hypocrisy. Don’t “justify” your purchase as anything other than a “lifestyle choice”. I get it. Everyone is driving them these days and we all want to be one of the cool kids.

However the fact remains a car, a plain ole four door sedan will do almost everything you little trucklett does, while getting better mileage, handling much much better for less money.

If you truly need space then vans, small, medium, or large, are again infinitely more useful with 150% to 300% the interior space. Nothing makes me laugh more than seeing an SUV with both a roof top carrier stuffed to overflowing AND a trailer hitch rack hanging off the back bumper. I traveled for years in a full sized van and never once had stuff outside the vehicle.

I’m just practical that way. I divide vehicles into two distinct groups. Practical and fun. I don’t find larger vehicles “fun”. Don’t really enjoy driving them. They’re appliances and I buy what fits my needs. I’ll save the ego stroking for whatever speed freak rocket ship I want for weekend fun and track days.

Reactions: RNG