Swiss Overwhelmingly Reject Minimum Wage Hike

Apr 2013
The Milky Way
Nov 2012
nirvana
Geneva (AFP) - Swiss voters on Sunday rejected a proposal to introduce the world's highest minimum wage, which would have guaranteed every worker in one of the world's priciest nations at least $25 an hour.

A proposal to introduce a minimum wage so high it could pass for mid-management pay elsewhere, was rejected by 76,3 percent of Swiss voters.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/news/a/23624538/swiss-turn-down-worlds-highest-minimum-wage/

It's so convenient that you leave out the fact that the Swiss average minimum wage is $15! That's in U.S. Dollars! Yea, maybe since most of their minimum wage earners are NOT living below the poverty level it isn't as much of a problem for the Swiss. Switzerland is a country with the least amount of income disparity, unlike us with almost the worse.

http://www.minimum-wage.org/internation ... witzerland

Try arguing apples and apples for a change.

Apr 2013
The Milky Way
Try arguing apples and apples for a change.

I made no argument, I merely posted the results of the vote. :mellow:

At least the Swiss control their border, which helps keep wages high. They do not allow millions of third world people to swamp the system. Supply and demand works in labor pools as well as elsewhere. You and your ilk can only ever be taken seriously if you fight against amnesty, by whatever name they will call it, and reduce legal immigration to 100,000 or so per year for the next 25 years.

We have U-6 ~14%, and real unemployment of citizens at ~20%, and you and your ilk want millions and millions more immigrants.

May 2013
Northeast
Geneva (AFP) - Swiss voters on Sunday rejected a proposal to introduce the world's highest minimum wage, which would have guaranteed every worker in one of the world's priciest nations at least $25 an hour.

A proposal to introduce a minimum wage so high it could pass for mid-management pay elsewhere, was rejected by 76,3 percent of Swiss voters.
Yeah....let's see how this goes....with a better-educated population.

The 1%ers/high-roller$, there, seem to want to play the same game, as here. I guess Phil Gramm has had a bigger impact, on the Swiss, than I'd expected....after becoming an employee of UBS....after he'd driven our economy into-the-ground.

Now, all we need is a herd-o'-Teabaggers, there....except....like I say....they've got a better-educated population.

Switzerland Rejects
May 18, 2014

*​

"The vote is a sign that Switzerland's long tradition of social partnership between business leaders and workers may be eroding: the bankruptcy of national airline Swissair over a decade ago, the disastrous losses suffered by the big Swiss banks in the subprime mortgage scandal, and the huge salaries and bonuses which continue to be paid in the banking and pharmaceutical industries have led many Swiss to lose trust in their business leaders."

Apr 2013
Left coast
Keep in mind that for years the Swiss have had about the most restricted immigration policies I am aware of. As part of the bilateral treaties to become part of the EU free trade block (but not a full member of the EU) they had to open their borders to people from other EU countries. In February of this year a referendum to end open borders was passed and my belief is that in the Swiss system implementing the results of such referenda are mandatory. But they still don't have any significant population of economically disadvantaged. Thus, IMO, trying to compare their situation to ours isn't valid.

May 2013
Northeast
I made no argument, I merely posted the results of the vote. :mellow:

At least the Swiss control their border, which helps keep wages high. They do not allow millions of third world people to swamp the system.
They've allowed a higher-caliber of crook$/NeoCon$ into their banking-$y$tem.

"Former Texas Sen. Phil Gramm has emerged as the key behind-the-scenes economics/Wall Street guy for John McCain and is being touted as the treasury secretary in waiting. Since 2002, Gramm has been an executive with the U.S. operations of UBS, the giant Swiss Bank. An unintentionally hilarious interview with Gramm on the Wall Street Journal editorial page last week asserted that Gramm has "been a key instigator of some of the biggest money-making UBS deals of recent years." The interview was noteworthy not just for first-class butt-kissing, but for deliberately gliding over the avalanche of disasters in the past year that has turned UBS from a respected Swiss titan of discretion and risk management into a laughing stock. As this one-year chart shows, UBS's stock lost nearly 70 percent of its value and now stands at levels not seen since 2002, when Gramm signed up."
It's almost like looking-in-a-mirror.

Fortunately, it could have been worse.

Phil Gramm COULD have become our Secretary O' The Treasury. We dodged a huge bullet on that one.