TANF Facts

Aug 2019
USA
TANF is cash assistance for children and their families.

It was the flagship program for Welfare Reform 1996.

It comprises less than 10% of the welfare budget.

Like welfare reform, it was a failure at getting welfare families off welfare.

Less than half of all TANF households have an adult member. No adult member means no employment requirement, and no time limits, for half of all TANF households.

TANF is not an entitlement, it is a block grant program.

Many households live on zero gross income, and would be eligible for TANF, but never apply.

TANF is the only federal welfare program that requires applicants to file for child support against absent parents. Six states require food stamp recipients to file against absent parents, but that is not a federal requirement. This is a big reason why some potential TANF recipients never reply. As they admit, some of them receive child support, but do not report it to social services.

Although it was initially reported that TANF benefits would be limited (basically 2-5 years), those time limits essentially dissolved in the early years. Extremely few cases actually aged off TANF to due the time limits, even after 10-20 years on benefits. For households with no adult member on TANF (half of all cases), there are no time limits. If a parent says they are disabled, and files for SSI (federal cash welfare), they are exempted from work requirements, and there are no time limits. This can continue indefinitely, for decades, as they file appeals, and start a new application, based on a new disability.

Although it was initially reported that TANF cases were closed due to employment, this employment seldom continued, and even then, it was not enough income to close other welfare benefits. Few TANF recipients actually got off FS or HUD. Many of them quit their jobs, and lived on child support, or zero gross income. [Hey biff - did you figure out yet what "zero gross income" means?]

Some people, who make outlandish claims, and do not substantiate or document them, expect others to document their claims.
Homey don't play that game.
If you read something you do not like, you provide documentation that supports your claims, and I will respond.

I say the sky is blue, and grass is green, and someone wants documentation.
The phrase "zero gross income" is a total mystery to some people, even when explained to them, in detail. They still want documentation. Isn't that right biff?

You want more explanation, no problem. I am here to defend the truth.

Reactions: Violent Chimp
Aug 2019
USA
Now this is really interesting.

By official count, this thread has had zero views. For biff, and others who do not understand the meaning of "zero", it is a number less than one, but greater than negative one.

Anyway, no views, but one like. Thanks VC.
I am trying to figure out, how 12 hours ago, VC was able to post a like, without viewing the thread.

Zero views, after 24 hours. I wonder if that is a record.

Oops, my bad. That is a post count, not a view count.
Forgive me, I am still new.
My apologies.

Last edited:
Nov 2012
nirvana
Now this is really interesting.

By official count, this thread has had zero views. For biff, and others who do not understand the meaning of "zero", it is a number less than one, but greater than negative one.

Anyway, no views, but one like. Thanks VC.
I am trying to figure out, how 12 hours ago, VC was able to post a like, without viewing the thread.

Zero views, after 24 hours. I wonder if that is a record.

Oops, my bad. That is a post count, not a view count.
Forgive me, I am still new.
My apologies.
Welfare has actually been expanded several times. For the filthy rich and corporations.

Reactions: RNG