Tennessee Republican Fights Tax Free Tampon Bill

Nov 2012
nirvana
Tennessee has an annual sales tax-free holiday weekend that begins on the last Friday of July. Part of the push is that certain items, including computers and clothing, can be purchased throughout the Volunteer State free of sales tax, which promotes consumerism while helping out families purchasing items for kids who are about to go back to school. The Charlotte Observer reports that a proposal to include feminine hygiene products among sales tax-free items has been receiving big-time pushback from Republicans.

Republican state Sen. Joey Hensley explained that he was worried about … how many tampons women might buy. While debating against the bill in the state legislature, he said, “I would think since it’s a sales tax holiday, there’s really no limit on the number of items anybody can purchase.” He went on to say he didn’t know of a way to limit how many feminine hygiene products someone could buy.

May 2018
none
WTF? More GOP idiocy. I thought they were for lower taxes? Just one more thing to add to their pile of lies.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
This has to be the most ridiculous “issue” I’ve ever seen !!!! This is the ultimate stupidity from the GOP.

And why why why does it have to be Tennessee???? This is Florida level stupid.

Reactions: FrostKing
Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
CryingVSLaughing.jpg

On one hand, of course, the entire thing is absurd and laughable. But, on the other hand, it's hard to imagine that we live in a country where there are still men - and men in power no less! - who think that female hygiene products are LUXURIES. I wish everyone of the women in his office would stop wearing them while at work with him. See if he thinks they're luxuries as they wait on his visitors and constituents and fellow representatives.

May 2018
none
This has to be the most ridiculous “issue” I’ve ever seen !!!! This is the ultimate stupidity from the GOP.

And why why why does it have to be Tennessee???? This is Florida level stupid.
Sorry, but Tennessee also has this gem:

Nov 2005
California
3p47mz.jpg

From Hensley's wikipedia page:
Hensley has been married four times and is divorced from his fourth wife, Gina.[23] They have three children.[2]
I can't help but wonder if his ex-wives may have a word or two about him regarding this issue....