Tennessee Teabaggers Want Don't Ask Don't Tell Bill For Schools

Oct 2010
Lots of delightful wingnutty stuff from Tennessee lately - this one is called the "Don't Say Gay" bill. I wasn't sure what category to file this one under - Gay Marriage, Religion, Military, Politics, Latest News? Maybe we just need an all-encompassing category of Homophobia?

http://www.boxturtle...011/02/23/30822

http://www.capitol.t...Bill/HB0229.pdf

No public elementary or middle school shall provide any instruction or material that discusses sexual orientation other than heterosexuality.
So the concern isn't about an age-appropriate discussion of sexuality, since heterosexuality can be discussed. It's merely fear of Teh Gay.

"The Don’t Say Gay bill raises all kinds of issues about anti-gay bias, free speech and government overreach,” said Ben Byers with the Tennessee Equality Project. …”It limits what teachers and students are able to discuss in the classroom,” Byers said. “It means they can’t talk about gay issues or sexuality even with students who may be gay or have gay family."

Oct 2010
With God....of course!
Lots of delightful wingnutty stuff from Tennessee lately - this one is called the "Don't Say Gay" bill. I wasn't sure what category to file this one under - Gay Marriage, Religion, Military, Politics, Latest News? Maybe we just need an all-encompassing category of Homophobia?

http://www.boxturtle...011/02/23/30822

http://www.capitol.t...Bill/HB0229.pdf

So the concern isn't about an age-appropriate discussion of sexuality, since heterosexuality can be discussed. It's merely fear of Teh Gay.

Back in the day, when they were forced to put condoms on bananas, we young-uns were snickering in the back of the class, having already mastered the real thing, to varying degrees. Parents and teachers are still behind in the curve, when it comes to discussing sex in any realm.

What else is education for, if not for teaching and preparing today's youth for tomorrows future? It's kind of toooo late at the point and in the manner with which they try to teach it.. I also think that it's a fear of certain subjects like sex AND religion, gay being the biggest fear of them all.

Maybe one day..........heh?

Oct 2010
It reminds me of that moron in Massachusetts who wanted to send his child to public school, but didn't want him to learn anything about same-sex marriage.......in a marriage equality state.

The teabaggers forget that the state isn't their nanny, and doesn't exist to teach their private morality.

Oct 2010
With God....of course!
It reminds me of that moron in Massachusetts who wanted to send his child to public school, but didn't want him to learn anything about same-sex marriage.......in a marriage equality state.

The teabaggers forget that the state isn't their nanny, and doesn't exist to teach their private morality.

*** My "church" receives regular requests for tours from private colleges, wanting to know about our way of life. I hear this on a regular basis... " Wow, I didn't know that, we never covered that in school. I thought ______________ religion was just like ____________ religion. "

Same goes for sex talks. By the time kids are out of K-12, it's a little late to deal with all of the questions and trying to re-shape bad habits and attitudes. I wonder how much bullying goes on in 2011....

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
This isn't the first time this bill has been introduced.

It's been initiated three or four times.

It's always been shot down.

Talk about first amendment problems LOL

Oct 2010
This isn't the first time this bill has been introduced.

It's been initiated three or four times.
Seriously? I know similar efforts have been made in other states, but how many times do you have to bang your head against the constitution before you achieve enlightenment? What a waste of time & money.

Jun 2008
Northern California
It's futile to stop it now. There is a time coming when people who "disapprove" of gays will be shamed to either keep their mouths shut, or leave, or put their kids in private schools and sequester themselves away from the world like The Amish. Seriously. Our culture has changed, the politics is changing and the modern world is demonstrating in so many ways they are not going to tolerate discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Not sure if any of you are into Science Fiction, but I am a huge geek. I was glued to the TV for BSG and then I started watching the prequel Caprica. On this show they had a family where some of the members were involved in a syndicate like the mafia, and the one brother was a hit man, who happened to have a husband. They never put it front and center, they just show him at home with his husband and everyone is just like normal about it as if it is perfectly natural for a man to have a husband. I believe that day will come in this country.

Oct 2010
On this show they had a family where some of the members were involved in a syndicate like the mafia, and the one brother was a hit man, who happened to have a husband. They never put it front and center, they just show him at home with his husband and everyone is just like normal about it as if it is perfectly natural for a man to have a husband. I believe that day will come in this country.
America and TV have come a long way from when I grew up watching the original Star Trek, where not only were the underside of breasts a big no-no but there was never a bathroom shown. A black female communications officer was a big deal then, as was the black/white duality of the episode "Let that be your last battlefield", but race was the discussion of the 1960s.....as were mixed-race marriages. Today it's to be expected that BSG would have a married gay couple.

By the way, conservatives were just as unhappy with the treatment of race on Star Trek as they are today with how TV portrays homosexuals (ie, as people).

Jun 2009
America and TV have come a long way from when I grew up watching the original Star Trek, where not only were the underside of breasts a big no-no but there was never a bathroom shown. A black female communications officer was a big deal then, as was the black/white duality of the episode "Let that be your last battlefield", but race was the discussion of the 1960s.....as were mixed-race marriages. Today it's to be expected that BSG would have a married gay couple.

By the way, conservatives were just as unhappy with the treatment of race on Star Trek as they are today with how TV portrays homosexuals (ie, as people).

Let's not also forget shows like Buffy the Vampire slayer that tackled homosexual relations several times. For example in the first season (or the second one, I'm not sure which) there was a character who showed up once or twice who was homosexual. There was also Willow later on in the show who turned out to be a lesbian and had a girlfriend named Tara. She later got together with a slayer named Kennedy. In fact, Buffy was thought to be controversial because Willow and Tara were among the first homosexual couples to have on air intimacy, kissing.