Texas lawmakers consider the death penalty for abortion

Nov 2005
California
State legislators stayed up well into the morning hearing emotional testimony about a proposed abortion ban.

House Bill 896 would criminalize abortion and classify it as a homicide. Women who have abortions could be sentenced to the death penalty.

How essentially one is okay with subjecting a woman to the death penalty for the exact… to do to her the exact same thing that one is alleging that she is doing to a child,” said State Rep. Victoria Neave, a Democrat from Dallas.

“I think it’s important to remember that if a drunk driver kills a pregnant woman, they get charged twice. If you murder a pregnant woman, you get charged twice. So I’m not specifically criminalizing women. What I’m doing is equalizing the law,” said State Rep. Tony Tinderholt, a Republican from Arlington.

The hearing in the House Judiciary Committee wrapped up at 3 a.m. Tuesday.

The bill now goes before the full Texas House for debate.

I've seen people discuss in the past how some anti-abortionists are not comfortable talking about the punishment for breaking a hypothetical law against abortion.
I guess that doesn't include these Texans...

Reactions: Clara007
Jul 2014
massachusetts
If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament. - unknown cab driver

They really hate women in Texas don't they?

Maybe they could just make the women serve as handmaids, they could wear red, and be raped by the man in a childless marriage, until she produces a child for the deserving couple.....

Reactions: Clara007
Dec 2015
Arizona
Conversation with Mr. Clara:

Him: Remember when I had that really horrible cold? Man! was I sick or what--coughing and sneezing. Couldn't sleep well. Then when I got up during the night I stubbed my toe on the bed. Remember that?

Me: Yeah.
Remember those times when I was pregnant--had toxemia, high blood pressure, gestational diabetes, 18 hours of labor and two 9 pound babies? Remember that?

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament. - unknown cab driver

They really hate women in Texas don't they?

Maybe they could just make the women serve as handmaids, they could wear red, and be raped by the man in a childless marriage, until she produces a child for the deserving couple.....

Or maybe they could just use men as sperm donors and use the state to sentance them to two decades of indentured servitude... oh wait they already do.

perfect set up

Apr 2014
redacted

I've seen people discuss in the past how some anti-abortionists are not comfortable talking about the punishment for breaking a hypothetical law against abortion.
I guess that doesn't include these Texans...
ROFL. No more nutty than some of the LWL bills that have been proposed. This bill is so far right even RWNJs are stepping away from it: Far-Right Texas Legislator Files Bill to Completely Outlaw Abortion
But the bill is so extreme – and plainly illegal – it’s failing to curry favor with anti-choice groups. Texas Alliance for Life, one of the state’s leading anti-abortion organizations, tells the Chronicle it does not support the bill for a few reasons, including the fact it wouldn’t withstand a federal court challenge and it asks the the Attorney General to ignore the Supreme Court. “We could no sooner ignore SCOTUS than the force of gravity,” says TAL’s Joe Pojman. His group also isn’t getting behind the bill because it criminalizes women who undergo abortion, says Pojman.

Nov 2005
California
I'm curious about this legislation.
If the man were to willfully pay for the abortion, would that make him an accomplice?

So I’m not specifically criminalizing women. What I’m doing is equalizing the law,” said State Rep. Tony Tinderholt, a Republican from Arlington.
No.
If my neighbor takes an axe to my car and damages it, I have a right to sue him.
If I take an axe to my car and damage it, that is my right.
What the Rep is saying is that it would be "equalized" if I was also charged for damaging my own property just like another could be damaged for damaging my property.

Or maybe they could just use men as sperm donors ...
:rolleyes:
Not sure if "use" is the right word when men voluntarily engage in the activity they know can produce children.

...and use the state to sentance them to two decades of indentured servitude... oh wait they already do.
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time...
And it takes two to tango...

But on another level, your diatribe is amusing.
In general, women are told to close their legs and criticized for not doing so.
Men are clapped on the back when they "score" and abstaining from the baby making process is viewed as a defect.

The double-standard employed... :rolleyes:

And if they ever identify the "gay" gene, there'll be an abortion clinic in the basement of every church. - bubba jones
I can't tell you how many conservatives I've seen try to get me to change my mind cause if there is a gay gene found pre-birth, they expect gays will go extinct.
The very mindset into the hypocrisy they are admitting to (in addition to the cluelessness regarding the overall population opinion on gays) is mind-boggling.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
I'm curious about this legislation.
If the man were to willfully pay for the abortion, would that make him an accomplice?

No.
If my neighbor takes an axe to my car and damages it, I have a right to sue him.
If I take an axe to my car and damage it, that is my right.
What the Rep is saying is that it would be "equalized" if I was also charged for damaging my own property just like another could be damaged for damaging my property.

:rolleyes:
Not sure if "use" is the right word when men voluntarily engage in the activity they know can produce children.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time...
And it takes two to tango...

But on another level, your diatribe is amusing.
In general, women are told to close their legs and criticized for not doing so.
Men are clapped on the back when they "score" and abstaining from the baby making process is viewed as a defect.

The double-standard employed... :rolleyes:

I can't tell you how many conservatives I've seen try to get me to change my mind cause if there is a gay gene found pre-birth, they expect gays will go extinct.
The very mindset into the hypocrisy they are admitting to (in addition to the cluelessness regarding the overall population opinion on gays) is mind-boggling.

Nailed it. Thanks.

Figured it would be goober. But thanks.

The new anti abortion slogan...

"Don't do the crime if you can't do the time...
And it takes two to tango..."

-foundit66