Thanks Greta Thunberg!

Dec 2015
Arizona
Today, hundreds of thousands of students around the world are expected to skip school and call for action on climate change. It all started with Swedish 16-year-old climate activist Greta Thunberg. Now, people in more than 100 countries are demanding that political leaders address the threats from climate change. And Thunberg has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. What did you do in high school?

It started in front of the Swedish parliament, on 20 August – a regular school day. Greta Thunberg sat with her painted sign and some homemade flyers. This was the first school climate strike. Fridays wouldn’t be regular schooldays any longer. The rest of us, and many more alongside us, picked it up in Australia, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, New Zealand, Uganda. Today the climate strike will take place all around the world.

Greta is no ordinary girl. Greta is on the autism spectrum, diagnosed with ADHD and other conditions but that hasn't stopped her from scolding the grown-ups who have not taken their environmental responsibility seriously.

“Adults keep saying, ‘We owe it to the young people to give them hope,’” she said. “But I don’t want your hope. I don’t want you to be hopeful. I want you to panic. I want you to feel the fear I feel every day. And then I want you to act.”
“You are not mature enough to tell it like it is,” Greta told COP24, a United Nations climate change conference in Poland in December, where the United States joined Russia, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait in watering down a response to the climate change panel’s report. “Even that burden you leave to us children.”
“We have not come here to beg world leaders to care,” Greta told COP24. “You have ignored us in the past and you will ignore us again. We have run out of excuses and we are running out of time. We have come here to let you know that change is coming, whether you like it or not.”
Out of the mouth of babes …Go GET 'EM, Greta!

Opinion | Grown-Ups Get a Scolding on Climate