The 8 Best Fact-Checking Sites

Dec 2015
Arizona
Attention DTT Posters!
Before clicking 'POST THREAD', how about fact-checking your post OR your opinion OR your news source??
The Trump Era has ushered in something called Post-Truth America. Every day on social media, broadcast news, tabloids, gossip, rumors AND on DTT we are exposed to absolute WHOPPERS--LIES--misleading information.
It's time to end this STUPID trend.
Most of us are familiar with the concept of cognitive bias, where people seek only information that confirms their preconceived opinions. Even when shown neutral news coverage of a political issue, partisans are likely to view the coverage as biased and hostile to their viewpoint, choosing to focus their attention on the parts of the story that don’t conform to their way of thinking.
Politicians are notorious for telling voters what they want to hear. This is because the most partisan political activists simply are not persuaded by the facts, but FACTS MATTER. Truth is still the truth...no matter what Rudy says.
It's time to put the proof OUT THERE. So, here ya go. Check your "facts". Double-check the headlines and the quotes before you post. ADD your source to your post. Your credibility and intelligence WILL soar.

Apr 2019
America
Attention DTT Posters!
Before clicking 'POST THREAD', how about fact-checking your post OR your opinion OR your news source??
The Trump Era has ushered in something called Post-Truth America. Every day on social media, broadcast news, tabloids, gossip, rumors AND on DTT we are exposed to absolute WHOPPERS--LIES--misleading information.
Most of us are familiar with the concept of cognitive bias, where people seek only information that confirms their preconceived opinions. Even when shown neutral news coverage of a political issue, partisans are likely to view the coverage as biased and hostile to their viewpoint, choosing to focus their attention on the parts of the story that don’t conform to their way of thinking.
Politicians are notorious for telling voters what they want to hear. This is because the most partisan political activists simply are not persuaded by the facts, but FACTS MATTER. Truth is still the truth...no matter what Rudy says.
It's time to put the proof OUT THERE. So, here ya go. Check your "facts". Double-check the headlines and the quotes before you post. ADD your source to your post. Your credibility and intelligence WILL soar.
This is a Current Event?

Feb 2006
California
Attention DTT Posters!
I busted snopes years ago on Bush can't remember, but this verifies it! If you Google snopes busted, it's flooded with snopes protecting it's self! - IC
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Thus, when I reached out to David Mikkelson, the founder of Snopes, for comment, I fully expected him to respond with a lengthy email in Snopes’ trademark point-by-point format, fully refuting each and every one of the claims in the Daily Mail’s article and writing the entire article off as “fake news.”

It was with incredible surprise therefore that I received David’s one-sentence response which read in its entirety “I'd be happy to speak with you, but I can only address some aspects in general because I'm precluded by the terms of a binding settlement agreement from discussing details of my divorce.”

This absolutely astounded me. Here was the one of the world’s most respected fact checking organizations, soon to be an ultimate arbitrator of “truth” on Facebook, saying that it cannot respond to a fact checking request because of a secrecy agreement.

In short, when someone attempted to fact check the fact checker, the response was the equivalent of “it's secret.”

It was with incredible surprise therefore that I received David’s one-sentence response which read in its entirety “I'd be happy to speak with you, but I can only address some aspects in general because I'm precluded by the terms of a binding settlement agreement from discussing details of my divorce.”

This absolutely astounded me. Here was the one of the world’s most respected fact checking organizations, soon to be an ultimate arbitrator of “truth” on Facebook, saying that it cannot respond to a fact checking request because of a secrecy agreement.

In short, when someone attempted to fact check the fact checker, the response was the equivalent of “it's secret.”

Reactions: Clara007
Dec 2015
Arizona
I knew, when I posted Snopes, that it would be questioned. It's been questioned for years. The article you presented is 2 years old so there's that. In addition, it's not unusual for contributors to these sites to want to remain anonymous to some degree. We've all been privy to the "death threats" against anyone who speaks out. They are concerned about their families and livelihood.
When we hear interesting tidbits from broadcasts they are often presented as "someone close to the president" or "someone IN the White House" or "a member of the committee", etc. So we take that information and consider it, knowing it isn't fully vetted.
But, back to Snopes. There are MANY other fact-check sites. Go to more than one. Read several and then make a determination. The objective is to WEIGH the facts from different sources and then draw conclusions, just as we should when we write a thesis---then be ready to submit the sources as your "truth".
That's all I'm asking for.
Let's see how many on the Right reply to this thread. Should be interesting.

Dec 2018
Unionville Indiana
The RW detests fact checking. When cornered, they fabricate "alternative facts" and anecdotes. It's the age of the con-artist.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.—George Orwell (1984)

Dec 2015
Arizona
The RW detests fact checking. When cornered, they fabricate "alternative facts" and anecdotes. It's the age of the con-artist.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.—George Orwell (1984)
AND there are SO MANY examples to choose from. I particularly love the NEW guy who claims that God is a conservative, although I'm going to have to speak to him about providing a source for that.
Oh wait! Must be Franklin Graham? Paula White?

Reactions: Rescue Basket
Dec 2018
Unionville Indiana
AND there are SO MANY examples to choose from. I particularly love the NEW guy who claims that God is a conservative, although I'm going to have to speak to him about providing a source for that.
Oh wait! Must be Franklin Graham? Paula White?
Jerry Falwell, Jr.?, Mike Huckabee?

An epidemic of gullibility has spread through regions of the country. The naivete always existed, but it reached critical mass with the electoral college tally in '16. Unless it's left wing naturalized citizens of Mexican descent who vote, nothing infuriates Trump and the RW more than the political reporting of the New York Times, MSNBC, CNN, and the Washington Post.

Reactions: Clara007