The Backfire Effect: Why Facts Don't Win Arguments

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
A group of Dartmouth researchers have studied the problem of the so-called "backfire effect," which is defined as the effect in which "corrections actually increase misperceptions among the group in question."

The problem here may be the way your friend is receiving these facts. Since your friend knows you and your opinions well, he or she does not view you as an "omniscient" source of information. When it comes to receiving corrective information about a public policy issue, the authors of the Dartmouth studynote
The Backfire Effect: Why Facts Don't Win Arguments

Dec 2015
Arizona
LOL! Although I totally agree with the article it should be filed under "Alice in Wonderland". You know as well as I do that Trump supporters are about as irrational as you can get. No amount of facts or stats or quotes or audio or video has swayed them. In fact, as the piece states, they become more mired in mud and sinking fast.
So I clicked on the link called "The Key to Rational Argument: Reframe it as a Partnership. Think of it as a partnership."

Sorry, but I about spit up my coffee. A partnership? With a Trump supporter? Get this:
One important mental shift that I and other people have found really useful in remaining fair minded and objective in arguments is instead of thinking about the argument as a battle where you're trying to win, reframe it in your mind so that you think of it as a partnership, a collaboration in which the two of you together or the group of you together are trying to figure out the right answer.
That makes it much easier to evaluate which arguments are good and which arguments are bad because you're motivated by getting the right answer together rather than by having whatever argument you came into the discussion with turns out to be the right answer.

Then I realized my mistake. I checked the date on the article: 2013 BT--Before Trump.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
So Trump read Heinlein?

At least he reads something one can hope.

Or, more likely, someone at Faux Views Entertainment Network told him that.

Trump is not smart enough to have read then applied a concept like this. He is purely an instinctual creature. His election was just dumb luck. Right place right time. The GOP had churned up SOOOO much hatred for Obama and "big government" in general. Trump was able to capitalize on that anger.

Sep 2015
Stage Left
LOL! Although I totally agree with the article it should be filed under "Alice in Wonderland". You know as well as I do that Trump supporters are about as irrational as you can get. No amount of facts or stats or quotes or audio or video has swayed them. In fact, as the piece states, they become more mired in mud and sinking fast.
So I clicked on the link called "The Key to Rational Argument: Reframe it as a Partnership. Think of it as a partnership."

Sorry, but I about spit up my coffee. A partnership? With a Trump supporter? Get this:
One important mental shift that I and other people have found really useful in remaining fair minded and objective in arguments is instead of thinking about the argument as a battle where you're trying to win, reframe it in your mind so that you think of it as a partnership, a collaboration in which the two of you together or the group of you together are trying to figure out the right answer.
That makes it much easier to evaluate which arguments are good and which arguments are bad because you're motivated by getting the right answer together rather than by having whatever argument you came into the discussion with turns out to be the right answer.

Then I realized my mistake. I checked the date on the article: 2013 BT--Before Trump.
i love Alice in Wonderland. it was always my favorite for my dad to read to me when i was a little girl. omg if i only knew i would grow up into a weird ass horrorific version of it in real life lol

Dec 2015
Arizona
i love Alice in Wonderland. it was always my favorite for my dad to read to me when i was a little girl. omg if i only knew i would grow up into a weird ass horrorific version of it in real life lol

I know. When I was 3-5 years old our next door neighbor, Louise, would read Alice in Wonderland to me. She watched me while my mother worked. I can still see her house and bookshelves. I thank HER for my love of books.

Sep 2015
Stage Left
I know. When I was 3-5 years old our next door neighbor, Louise, would read Alice in Wonderland to me. She watched me while my mother worked. I can still see her house and bookshelves. I thank HER for my love of books.
yes! and Through the Looking Glass, omfg, it was like a dream. my dad was great at reading wonderful old stories at bedtime, i loved it. and yeah, he really turned me on to reading, and it is only one of like a billion other reasons why i love my dad so much