The Bible Does Not Condemn Homosexuality

Jun 2014
United States
The Bible Does Not Condemn Homosexuality. Why Does Franklin Graham Not Get This? | Adam Phillips

Genesis 19:5

And they called to Lot, 'Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us, so that we may know them.'

This is the fabled Sodom & Gomorrah passage. Sodom and Gomorrah were sister cities. It's pretty clear in Genesis 13:13 that "... the people of Sodom were wicked, great sinners against the Lord."

What was their sin? They were ruthless in their acquisition of wealth, power and territory -- and they oppressed the poor and took advantage of the weak and were terrible at hospitality.

That's clear in the Bible, too.

The ancient Jewish Prophet Ezekiel remembered the sin of Sodom as such:

This was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy. They were haughty, and did abominable things before me; therefore I removed them when I saw it.  --  Ezekiel 16:49,50

The sins of Sodom, Gomorrah and their sister cities was so bad, they were frequently used as examples of people not to emulate.

One of Ezekiel's colleagues, the Prophet Jeremiah, simply put it:

As when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah and their neighboring cities, declares the Lord, so no man shall dwell there, and no son of man shall sojourn in her. -- Jeremiah 50:40

When Jesus would run into conflict in cities he was ministering in, unfolding his work and vision amongst the poor, he even used Sodom as an example when he would declare "it shall be more tolerable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom than for you." (Matthew 11:24)

Here's the deal: the so-called "Sodomites" in Genesis are beating down the door of a man named Lot who was entertaining two messengers of God (we often hear them described as "angels" in the Scriptures.) The men of Sodom want to have sexual intercourse with them. Fair enough, you might say. But in the end, Lot offers up his two virgin daughters for the so-called Sodomites to gang rape. It's brutal, horrendous stuff. And it has nothing to do with homosexuality. So why do we continue to think it does?

Leviticus 18:22 & 20:13

You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.

If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death; their blood is upon them.

The "Levitical laws" are important, foundational commandments for a people looking to survive. For a people on the move. For a people looking to make a way out of no way.

They're literally on the run  --  an exodus  --  out of Egypt. And these passages have nothing to do with homosexuality either.

Jeff Chu, in his incredible book Does Jesus Really Love Me?: A Gay Christian's Pilgrimage in Search of God in America, shares a series of Twitter and email exchanges with a fellow traveller on the way, a man named Gideon Eads. In one email Gideon shares about talking with a counselor who tried to convince him of the sins of homosexuality. Gideon writes:

We moved on to the verses in Leviticus that state "lying with a man as with a woman is an abomination" (Leviticus 18: 22- 24 and Leviticus 20: 13). He began to talk about how holy and perfect the union between one man and one woman was. I agreed, but said, "This is not a verse about homosexual love, or being gay. This command is there with all kinds of connotations of adultery, promiscuity, and idol worship from the surrounding nations."
Rewriting a version changed to meet the needs of the republican party talking points is not a source of Christianity. It's is a rewritten (about 9 or 10 times now) book whose authors are hellbent on reinterpreting the Christian religion.

Reactions: 1 person
Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
I don't care if it's in the Bible Old Testament or not.

If "Christians" paid as much attention to the Ten Commandments (not committing adultery, not stealing, not lying, not spreading lies and rumors and gossip, not lusting after others' possessions, etc.) as they do about homosexuality, we would live in quite the moral society.

But those other things aren't aren't as 'sexy' and 'red-hot-button' issues as homosexuality - besides, if you're not gay, it's so easy to point fingers at others.

Reactions: 5 people
Nov 2012
Missouri
Jesus did away with the old testament Law and Christians are not under it. The ten commandments were kept in Christianity as well as the admonitions against sexual immorality.

Oct 2014
Matrix

If "Christians" paid as much attention to the Ten Commandments (not committing adultery, not stealing, not lying, not spreading lies and rumors and gossip, not lusting after others' possessions, etc.) as they do about homosexuality, we would live in quite the moral society.

But those other things aren't aren't as 'sexy' and 'red-hot-button' issues as homosexuality - besides, if you're not gay, it's so easy to point fingers at others.
Gay men seem to be the most unfaithful and promiscuous group, unless you mean Christian gay men! LOL!

Liberals steal from their fellow citizens whenever they can.

Liberals lie all the time. Just look at Obama. [you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor....premiums going down $2500 yr.]

The lazy and stupid liberals lust after the private property of the smart and hard working.

Yes, liberals are immoral, and drenched in hypocrisy! :lol:

Jun 2014
United States

I'm glad you feel that way. This is for the smug born again evangelicals who think their anti-same sex marriage stand is biblically based. It's not. Never has been. It's a pure 100% wedge issue for the republican party.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Jesus did away with the old testament Law and Christians are not under it. The ten commandments were kept in Christianity as well as the admonitions against sexual immorality.
So you are saying Christians got to pick and choose which of Gods Laws they got to impose on everyone else.

Reactions: 4 people
Jun 2013
Ragnarök
I'm glad you feel that way. This is for the smug born again evangelicals who think their anti-same sex marriage stand is biblically based. It's not. Never has been. It's a pure 100% wedge issue for the republican party.
The bible condemns homosexuality. Marriage it is between a man and woman