The Case Against Donald J. Trump

Dec 2015
Arizona
A New York Times columnist has neatly laid out an impeachment case against Donald Trump.

The first article of impeachment against Richard Nixon argued that he had “prevented, obstructed and impeded the administration of justice.” One of the two impeachment articles that the House passed against Bill Clinton used that identical phrase. In both cases, the article then laid out the evidence with a numbered list. Nixon’s version had nine items. Clinton’s had seven. Each list was meant to show that the president had intentionally tried to subvert a federal investigation.

Given last week’s news — that Trump has already tried to fire Robert Mueller, the special counsel investigating the Trump campaign — it’s time to put together the same sort of list for Trump. Of course, this list is based only on publicly available information. Mueller, no doubt, knows more.

*On Jan. 27, 2017, Trump asked for a pledge of “loyalty” from James Comey
* On Feb. 14, Trump directed several other officials to leave the Oval Office so he could speak privately with Comey. He then told Comey to “let this go,” referring to the investigation of Michael Flynn.
*On March 22, Trump directed several other officials to leave a White House briefing so he could speak privately with Daniel Coats, the director of national intelligence, and Mike Pompeo, the C.I.A. director. Trump asked them to persuade Comey to back off investigating Flynn.
*In March and April, Trump told Comey in phone calls that he wanted Comey to lift the ”cloud” of the investigation.
* On May 9, Trump fired Comey as F.B.I. director.
*On May 17, shortly after hearing that the Justice Department had appointed Mueller to take over the Russia investigation, Trump berated Jeff Sessions, accusing him of disloyalty.
*In June, Trump explored several options to retake control. At one point, he ordered the firing of Mueller, before the White House counsel resisted.
*On July 8, aboard Air Force One, Trump helped draft a false public statement for his son, Donald Trump Jr.
*On July 26, in a tweet, Trump called for the firing of Andrew McCabe, the F.B.I.’s deputy director, a potential corroborating witness for Comey’s conversations with Trump.
*Throughout, Trump (and this quotation comes from the Nixon article of impeachment) “made false or misleading public statements for the purpose of deceiving the people of the United States.” Among other things, Trump repeatedly made untruthful statements about American intelligence agencies’ conclusions regarding Russia’s role in the 2016 election.

Obstruction of justice depends on a person’s intent — what legal experts often call “corrupt intent.” This list is so damning because it reveals Trump’s intent.

Trump has inserted himself into the details of a criminal investigation in ways that previous presidents rarely if ever did. (They left individual investigations to the attorney general.) And he has done so in ways that show he understands he’s doing something wrong. He has cleared the room before trying to influence the investigation. He directed his son to lie, and he himself has lied.

READ more: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/28/opinion/impeachment-donald-trump.html

Oct 2010
Colorado
Throughout it all, DJ, Jr., and the rest have acted exactly the way I'd expect a guilty person to act.

All repeatedly have claimed that nothing wrong has been done, without their having any basis for saying that.

One would expect a seated president to be 100 percent behind investigation into probable Russian meddling, but we've seen just the opposite.

We've seen attacks on the Justice Dept., on the Attorney General, on the FBI, the CIA, the press, and concerted attacks on Mueller with the clear intent of preemptively discrediting him and the findings of his investigation.

Nov 2017
Virginia
Really? This is it? This looks like a bunch of griping over Comey and Mueller.

Comey was a holdover from the Obama administration, in case anyone forgot (seems like this is being conveniently forgotten). It's totally within Trump's right to fire Comey if he wants to, and he's totally entitled to have who he wants in that position. Trump, if anything, was at the least being a bit generous to the previous admin by keeping any holdovers at all; he was under no obligation at all to do so. Funny how this is how he's being thanked for that.

All this drama is really starting to make me think that the real owners of this country (as in what George Carlin is referring to) have been trying to keep the claws they've sunk into the Trump administration ever since President Trump was sworn into office, via Comey, Mueller, the deep state, etc.

Now I want Trump to put more effort than he already is into getting rid of these swamp monstrocities sooner & more thoroughly. I also now want to know whether a transition team from the previous administration had any role in misleading or dishonestly convincing Trump's incoming administration that they need to bring Comey on board his new administration & why.

Let's review - Hillary did a bunch of crap that should've landed her behind prison for a long time and who gave her a pass? Time's up, it was Comey.

It seems even more clear now with all this drama that the swamp badly needs to be drained.

Sep 2015
Lehigh Valley Pa.,USA
Trump derangement Syndrome at work again.....Earth to Clara.....Trump is not getting impeached.. There is no obstruction of justice....If that is what you are looking for....go back to Obama's Administration.....That is the subject that is reality now.....

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Really? This is it? This looks like a bunch of griping over Comey and Mueller.

Comey was a holdover from the Obama administration, in case anyone forgot (seems like this is being conveniently forgotten). It's totally within Trump's right to fire Comey if he wants to, and he's totally entitled to have who he wants in that position. Trump, if anything, was at the least being a bit generous to the previous admin by keeping any holdovers at all; he was under no obligation at all to do so. Funny how this is how he's being thanked for that.

All this drama is really starting to make me think that the real owners of this country (as in what George Carlin is referring to) have been trying to keep the claws they've sunk into the Trump administration ever since President Trump was sworn into office, via Comey, Mueller, the deep state, etc.

Now I want Trump to put more effort than he already is into getting rid of these swamp monstrocities sooner & more thoroughly. I also now want to know whether a transition team from the previous administration had any role in misleading or dishonestly convincing Trump's incoming administration that they need to bring Comey on board his new administration & why.

Let's review - Hillary did a bunch of crap that should've landed her behind prison for a long time and who gave her a pass? Time's up, it was Comey.

It seems even more clear now with all this drama that the swamp badly needs to be drained.
Let me translate:

Clinton accused of stuff: She must be guilty.
Trump accused of stuff: Obama/Clinton must be guilty

Sep 2015
Lehigh Valley Pa.,USA
Let me translate:

Clinton accused of stuff: She must be guilty.
Trump accused of stuff: Obama/Clinton must be guilty
Let me translate the translation:

Clinton flagrantly involved in stuff....cover-up, she must not be guilty
Trump accused of stuff in a fishing expedition....he must be guilty

Nov 2012
Chicago
Throughout it all, DJ, Jr., and the rest have acted exactly the way I'd expect a guilty person to act.

All repeatedly have claimed that nothing wrong has been done, without their having any basis for saying that.

One would expect a seated president to be 100 percent behind investigation into probable Russian meddling, but we've seen just the opposite.

We've seen attacks on the Justice Dept., on the Attorney General, on the FBI, the CIA, the press, and concerted attacks on Mueller with the clear intent of preemptively discrediting him and the findings of his investigation.
You mean attacks against a corrupt Justice Dept. and likewise a corrupt, at least at the senior levels, FBI. :unsure:

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Let me translate the translation:

Clinton flagrantly involved in stuff....cover-up, she must not be guilty
Trump accused of stuff in a fishing expedition....he must be guilty
Both Trump and Clinton are not guilty. You are not guilty until convicted.
Something the Clinton badgers continually seem to forget.