The effect of tariffs on the US

Oct 2009
Cliffside Park, NJ
RNG, annual trade deficits are always net detrimental to their nation’s GDP and numbers of jobs.
USA Purchasers of products to the extent that they are foreign, pay for the proposals I’ve encountered, that would relieve or remedy USA’s chronic annual trade deficits.
Products are imported into the USA to satisfy the USA purchasers’ demands for foreign goods.

Annual trade deficits are always net detrimental to their nation’s GDP and numbers of jobs.
USA Purchasers of products to the extent that they are foreign, pay for the proposals I’ve encountered, that would relieve or remedy USA’s chronic annual trade deficits.
Products are imported into the USA to satisfy the USA purchasers’ demands for foreign goods.
It is not unreasonable for those basically responsible for damages, to (if they can), pay for their contributing cause of damage. To the extent that products are not foreign, their purchasers pay no part of the remedy expenses.

But you say So the consumer pays. And if it is a market based then all that means is that Lehman Brothers Mk II will cheat and make a pisspot full of money off you but there will still need a bureaucracy to monitor, either a small impotent one and we get toxic asset part deux or a large, expensive clumsy one. No advantage and in fact disadvantages. And the consumer still pays.
If you’ll specifically explain your post, I’ll try responding similarly. Your mention of Lehman Brothers Mk II is particularly confusing.

Respectfully, Supposn

Oct 2009
Cliffside Park, NJ
It's STILL a tariff and it STILL makes those items MORE expensive to the end consumer. So whether I'm buying product A which costs $1.00 to make but has $1.00 added to it's price because of the price of the certificate or I buy product B a domestic product that costs $2.00 to produce because of higher labor costs, either way I am paying $2.00 for a product I was paying $1 for. If they are equal in all respects then if I am aware that one is domestic versus an import I may choose to support my local market. A tariff is a tariff and the end user pays for it. While that might help sales to local domestic consumers, provided there are no other variables concerning content and quality between the two products, it does NOT help them export to other countries.
BubbaJones, foreign producers employ foreign workers. They use foreign materials. their production facilities are built by foreign construction companies. Their facilities and production line mechanisms are maintained by foreign enterprises. those foreign industries employ plumbers, carpenters, accountants, lawyers, janitors, poster designers, supervisors, cafeteria workers, human resource departments.

When a USA company relocates their production overseas, their production support is foreign support. The loss of sales volumes experienced by a USA tool and die company cuts their production volumes and that increases their remaining productions’ costs per item; which in turn causes other of their clients to relocate their production beyond USA’s borders. This progresses until USA’s tool and die industry is a shadow of what it was previously.

Those factories that consumed electric power and crowded our highways with trucks carrying their production supporting goods, also shared and reduced the overheads and costs per mile of our electricity transmission, highways, tunnels, bridges, railroad tracks, and interstate water routes; and of course, they contributed something to our governments’ tax revenues.
They provided jobs for the graduates of our colleges. They supported research and development within their own enterprises and our colleges and university laboratories. When you produce, you gain the knowledge and experience from manipulating the materials, tools and managing the people involved with that production.

Regardless of the types of goods being produced, (e.g. agricultural, ranching, fishing. mining, lumber, text-books, medical devices, locomotives or mop handles), the benefits of production are earned by those who produce.
There’s no economic difference between foreign or domestic vehicles on USA highways or in USA repair shops. Their entire economic differences occurred prior to their reaching their USA assembly lines' shipment platforms, or when the imports reached the jurisdiction of the U.S. governments, and enterprises, and were handled by USA labor.

Consider all of this and more the next time you hear an idiot spout that producing any kind of goods is unimportant because their production is automated and requires much fewer workers.

Respectfully, Supposn