The environmental impact of Fluffy and Rover

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Sometimes you see a stat and instantly think bullshit. In this case I did even though it was in a tweet from Axios, my second most trusted source. So I dug a little and it does appear to be real.

From the Axios article, link at bottom.

The 163 million dogs and cats in the U.S. ate one-quarter of the 94.3 billion pounds of meat the country produced in 2015, or as much as 62 million Americans did, according to estimates by UCLA professor Gregory Okin.

Why it matters: Raising that meat generated greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to 64 million tons of carbon dioxide, or as much as the yearly emissions of 12.3 million passenger vehicles. U.S. pet ownership has increased since 2015 when the pet census was taken and Okin made his calculations. As the number of pets has increased, so have emissions.
The data comes from a published paper which you can access by clicking on the "Gregory Okin" above.

I love my dog and I have loved the cats we have had previously but this is serious. Dogs at least are omnivorous and might be OK on a well crafted vegetarian diet, but cats are carnivores. I don't know if meat substitutes would work for them.

Reactions: Clara007
Dec 2015
Arizona
Sometimes you see a stat and instantly think bullshit. In this case I did even though it was in a tweet from Axios, my second most trusted source. So I dug a little and it does appear to be real.

From the Axios article, link at bottom.

The data comes from a published paper which you can access by clicking on the "Gregory Okin" above.

I love my dog and I have loved the cats we have had previously but this is serious. Dogs at least are omnivorous and might be OK on a well crafted vegetarian diet, but cats are carnivores. I don't know if meat substitutes would work for them.

Gosh almighty---I never thought about this.