The machine verses humans

Feb 2014
Oregon
Germany was said to have a mechanical society at the beginning of WWI and also during the second world war. The US defended its democracy against the German organization of humans, and then it adopted the German model of bureaucracy, and the German model of education for technology, and German philosophy. The US is now the mechanical society Orwell foresaw with the help of the German example. We have the despot of Tocqueville's 1830 book "Democracy in America".

I am not sure how to present my objection to this perversion of the US democracy and the loss of our liberty. I just know once again I may loose a job I really want to keep, because I have to act on my sense of human values, and this not "professional". I am having coffee with a woman in grief, and this is not allowed, because she came to a workshop I facilitate and facilitators are not to meet with people outside of the workshops. However, there is no chance she will participate in the workshops, if I can convince her the workshops will help her. She left 5 minutes after the first workshop began, because she thought the workshop would help her with her grief and that is not exactly what the workshops are about. I hope to convince her that she can use many of the workshop activities to resolve her grief issues, but only by meeting with her on her terms and addressing her grief issues, is this possible.

I know because many years ago I walked in her shoes. Vocational Rehabilitation sent her to the workshop for living with chronic conditions. I facilitate the workshops because many years ago, it was me in Vocational Rehabilitation and overwhelmed with grief because of loosing my physical abilities and means of supporting myself. I look at her and see myself many years ago. From the beginning of facilitating the workshops, I wanted to worked closely with vocational rehabilitation, but none of the "professionals" are dealing with the grief issue, and I am not suppose to "add anything" to the workshop. Okay, so what do I do, let this woman walk away without the help she desperately needs, so I don't risk my job, or follow my human values and see, if over a cup of coffee I can convince her the workshop will help her a lot?

I have lost another job, because of being sincere with my clients and adjusting the service I was paid to provide to their unique needs. As a brain tumor took a woman down, I stayed at her home a little longer to make her and her husband a dinner. I did the grocery shopping for a woman with a heart condition, without forcing her to go with me. I took a man in a wheel chair to the doctor. These extras were beyond the definition of my job. But what should be done when humans have such needs, and the job is to be friendly with the people, but not to actually give them the service they need?

In the past, what I do, would be expected of a caring woman, but today, being "professional" means knowing our boundaries and staying within them. My "professional" daughter, has no problem with this, but I do! Now a job is defined by some policy maker no one ever sees, and who is college educated but never in the field, lacking life experience, and the job is not to be defined by the person on the scene and made aware of immediate, personal needs. I think this modern "professionalism" is dehumanizing, is completely opposite from the liberty for which we are suppose to stand, and is a terrible thing for humanity in general. It is the machine we defended our democracy against, and that means all those people who fought WWI and WWII did so for nothing.

What do you think? Is it better to be "professional" or a caring human being willing to do what needs to be done at the moment. That is the meaning our liberty! It is the right to do what we believe is best.

Reactions: 2 people
May 2013
Massachusetts
Often times, people look for principles or goals to live by. People look at professionalism, or comfort, or security, or even work ethic as things to live by; but I'll tell you now, that professionalism is a curse if it interferes with your humanity, that comfort is a folly if you become complacent in mediocrity, that security is pointless in protecting your livelihood when you aren't even living, that work ethic is damning if your work is disconnected from reality.

It's apparent to me, that of all the virtues one could take into consideration in their daily lives, the only consistant one I've ever found to be of use is to act with integrity. It is imperative that no matter what happens, whatever consequences may befall you, despite the condemnations of your peers, one should do what they think is right.

People look to the past or to the future for what is to be, and they seek to align themselves with that. People conform themselves to patterns they see or admire in the world around them, but are not of themselves. It always confused me that one should try to align himself with some ideology or culture or society. It is self evident to me that these things come out of all of us, and that if each of us were to act with integrity, if each of us were to be honest and be what we are, then the rest will follow in turn.

There is no end goal, there is no heaven to sit at when all is said and done. Humans aren't built like that, you can't be complacent, it's not in your nature. The fool says that one should be happy with what they have, but that's absolutely specious- it's the drive to experience something new, to elicite some new reaction, to stir within us seeds of some new understanding- to grow and to change and to be more than what we were the day before that makes each and every one of us special.

Conduct yourself to the best of your judgement each and every day- be all that you are, and cleanse yourself of any outside feeling that would wish to push you down the road you're not heading. Because it isn't about taking the road less traveled, or being unique, or being special or amazing or beautiful or smart or successful or different. It's just about doing you, whatever that is. And in the end, when you look back on your actions- and you conducted yourself in the ways you thought were right- unlike so many others, you'll be fine with it.

Reactions: 1 person
Nov 2012
nirvana
Germany was said to have a mechanical society at the beginning of WWI and also during the second world war. The US defended its democracy against the German organization of humans, and then it adopted the German model of bureaucracy, and the German model of education for technology, and German philosophy. The US is now the mechanical society Orwell foresaw with the help of the German example. We have the despot of Tocqueville's 1830 book "Democracy in America".

I am not sure how to present my objection to this perversion of the US democracy and the loss of our liberty. I just know once again I may loose a job I really want to keep, because I have to act on my sense of human values, and this not "professional". I am having coffee with a woman in grief, and this is not allowed, because she came to a workshop I facilitate and facilitators are not to meet with people outside of the workshops. However, there is no chance she will participate in the workshops, if I can convince her the workshops will help her. She left 5 minutes after the first workshop began, because she thought the workshop would help her with her grief and that is not exactly what the workshops are about. I hope to convince her that she can use many of the workshop activities to resolve her grief issues, but only by meeting with her on her terms and addressing her grief issues, is this possible.

I know because many years ago I walked in her shoes. Vocational Rehabilitation sent her to the workshop for living with chronic conditions. I facilitate the workshops because many years ago, it was me in Vocational Rehabilitation and overwhelmed with grief because of loosing my physical abilities and means of supporting myself. I look at her and see myself many years ago. From the beginning of facilitating the workshops, I wanted to worked closely with vocational rehabilitation, but none of the "professionals" are dealing with the grief issue, and I am not suppose to "add anything" to the workshop. Okay, so what do I do, let this woman walk away without the help she desperately needs, so I don't risk my job, or follow my human values and see, if over a cup of coffee I can convince her the workshop will help her a lot?

I have lost another job, because of being sincere with my clients and adjusting the service I was paid to provide to their unique needs. As a brain tumor took a woman down, I stayed at her home a little longer to make her and her husband a dinner. I did the grocery shopping for a woman with a heart condition, without forcing her to go with me. I took a man in a wheel chair to the doctor. These extras were beyond the definition of my job. But what should be done when humans have such needs, and the job is to be friendly with the people, but not to actually give them the service they need?

In the past, what I do, would be expected of a caring woman, but today, being "professional" means knowing our boundaries and staying within them. My "professional" daughter, has no problem with this, but I do! Now a job is defined by some policy maker no one ever sees, and who is college educated but never in the field, lacking life experience, and the job is not to be defined by the person on the scene and made aware of immediate, personal needs. I think this modern "professionalism" is dehumanizing, is completely opposite from the liberty for which we are suppose to stand, and is a terrible thing for humanity in general. It is the machine we defended our democracy against, and that means all those people who fought WWI and WWII did so for nothing.

What do you think? Is it better to be "professional" or a caring human being willing to do what needs to be done at the moment. That is the meaning our liberty! It is the right to do what we believe is best.
You now live in an age where actually taking initiative will get you into trouble. One of the main reasons being someone who is a peg on the ladder higher than you didn't get credit for that initiative. Or someone who is afraid of their own shadow will fantasize liability based upon their own opinion.

In this day of yes men, kiss asses, brown nosers, and bullshit artists, you have to just be another cog in the wheel, not to be seen or heard. It is the new America based upon the corporate structure.

Feb 2014
Oregon
Often times, people look for principles or goals to live by. People look at professionalism, or comfort, or security, or even work ethic as things to live by; but I'll tell you now, that professionalism is a curse if it interferes with your humanity, that comfort is a folly if you become complacent in mediocrity, that security is pointless in protecting your livelihood when you aren't even living, that work ethic is damning if your work is disconnected from reality.

It's apparent to me, that of all the virtues one could take into consideration in their daily lives, the only consistant one I've ever found to be of use is to act with integrity. It is imperative that no matter what happens, whatever consequences may befall you, despite the condemnations of your peers, one should do what they think is right.

People look to the past or to the future for what is to be, and they seek to align themselves with that. People conform themselves to patterns they see or admire in the world around them, but are not of themselves. It always confused me that one should try to align himself with some ideology or culture or society. It is self evident to me that these things come out of all of us, and that if each of us were to act with integrity, if each of us were to be honest and be what we are, then the rest will follow in turn.

There is no end goal, there is no heaven to sit at when all is said and done. Humans aren't built like that, you can't be complacent, it's not in your nature. The fool says that one should be happy with what they have, but that's absolutely specious- it's the drive to experience something new, to elicite some new reaction, to stir within us seeds of some new understanding- to grow and to change and to be more than what we were the day before that makes each and every one of us special.

Conduct yourself to the best of your judgement each and every day- be all that you are, and cleanse yourself of any outside feeling that would wish to push you down the road you're not heading. Because it isn't about taking the road less traveled, or being unique, or being special or amazing or beautiful or smart or successful or different. It's just about doing you, whatever that is. And in the end, when you look back on your actions- and you conducted yourself in the ways you thought were right- unlike so many others, you'll be fine with it.

I like what you said and I wish I could agree with all of it, but I can not. My daughter and her children were seriously abused, and they all internalized very negative feelings and this has negative consequences.

My son married a woman with 4 children and one of them is now sitting in prison for entering an unknown womans home and brutizing her. The young man is only 98 pounds, and while in jail waiting for sentencing, he wrote me of love and caring, and one would not read his letters and imagine he would do such an awful thing, but he too grew up in a home with drugs and abuse.

My point is, we have mind and body connection, and especially in our formative years, our human system can be infected by evil and left unidentified and untreated, the cosequences can be very bad. The person acting out this evil may fully believe s/he is being true to self and feel compelled to do harmful things to self and/or others. I am not Christian, but do see truth in what the bible and other beliefs say.

I met with the woman who walked out of the workshop and we took a long walk down a river path. She spilled her heart out to me. Her son was murdered and she has not been able to stop crying since. And I want to say here, I am not so sure there is not a God and heaven, because there seems to be something in our lives that makes things happen? She was in a grocery store and an unknown woman tapped her on the shoulder and spoke the special name she called her son, and told her he wanted her to know he is okay, then the woman went her own way. But there is more to my suspicion that reality is more than we perceive.

The woman I was walking with, was a counselor, and one of the first things she told me is how everyone abandoned her when her son was murdered, but some of her past clients have tried to contact her as friends, and she has always ignored them. She is so afraid if she can return to work, she will be closed out of employment if she dares to speak with a past client. She spoke of "job ethics" and I told her I was violating those ethics by seeing her outside of the workshop, and I also told her there is something in a file about her, and that this information is being passed around and she is being judged by what is in the file. You should have seen her reaction to that! She thought by following "job ethics" she was protected, and she got to see the betrayal of the beast above us. THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I WRITE.

Speaking of the beast is from the bible, and we all have laughed at such a notion, but I am not sure we should be laughing? Perhaps we should have a better understanding of the symbolism? Don't get me wrong, I don't believe a God spoke to his people and no others, or that one group of people have "God's truth" and no others. But the symbolism of the beast and our reality and what you said about relying ourselves, hits a nerve and my alarms are going off. For years I have written of this beast, because of what I learned in a college course about Public Policy and Administration, and also through life experience. I am always very thankful when someone relates to what I am saying and replies as you did. We must break free if the beast and we must be our own authorities.

But back to the first thing I said in reply to what you said. How do we know our judgement is good and not infected by an evil from our early developmental years, that distorts our experience and judgement? I think we need a religion like Christianity, but Christianity is not believable. We need a religion that is believable, so we can measure what is going on in our heads, with a greater consciousness. Or as Joseph Campbell said, we need a new mythology because humans need mythology. And this must not be the beast! It must not be "work ethics" that separate us and are completely impersonal control over what we do because that is the path to Nazi, Germany.

Last edited:
Feb 2014
Oregon
You now live in an age where actually taking initiative will get you into trouble. One of the main reasons being someone who is a peg on the ladder higher than you didn't get credit for that initiative. Or someone who is afraid of their own shadow will fantasize liability based upon their own opinion.

In this day of yes men, kiss asses, brown nosers, and bullshit artists, you have to just be another cog in the wheel, not to be seen or heard. It is the new America based upon the corporate structure.
You said that perfectly, but we fought two world wars against this and had education that opposed it!

Not only did we defend democracy in the classroom, but I took classes on the democratic model for supervisors and it blew my mind. The democratic model for industry is the reverse of the autocratic model and you speak of the autocratic model, which is all the evils of the old, European world. When royality had unquestion power, everyone below had to serve and be subservant. We have given those above us the same power of the royalty of the old world, and destroyed our own liberty.

Thank you both, because you have convienced me to stay with Patrick Henry. "Give me liberty or give me death." However, I must confess, I have this freedom because I am past retirement age and have a gaurantteed income. I will not be homeless or go hungry if I do not comply. But I fear for my grandchildren and their children as we walk the path Germany followed and turn our democracy upside down.

Nov 2013
El Paso, TX
But I fear for my grandchildren and their children as we walk the path Germany followed and turn our democracy upside down.
The issue isn't politics, the issue is culture. De Tocqueville understood this very well and made the connection between culture and politics clear in his writing. When a culture goes down the drain, nothing can save it and politics becomes irrelevant.

Reactions: 2 people
Feb 2014
Oregon
The issue isn't politics, the issue is culture. De Tocqueville understood this very well and made the connection between culture and politics clear in his writing. When a culture goes down the drain, nothing can save it and politics becomes irrelevant.
We have an agreement, and I really like the way you worded that concept. That is why I focus on education. Liberal education prepares everyone for good moral judgement and self-government. Education for technology for military and industrial purpose does not.

What might we do to increase awareness of the importance of culture, what it is and how to transmit it?