The Marquis de Sade - an evil atheist

Oct 2019
USA
The Marquis de Sade was an evil atheist who fantasized about raping, murdering torturing children - he is where the terms "sadism" comes from. (I won't post a link to his books here, in fact some of them are illegal in some places due to depicting abuse of children).

If one is an atheist, on what grounds could they object to him - his "worldview" was simply that life is meaningless, and that man came from nature, just like every other animal (his books was written before Darwin and his theory of evolution - proving that this was just a simple, folk belief which has always existed prior to evolution being popularized - even if the theory of evolution was proven false, atheists would continue to believe this, just as they always have historically - evolution is simply used to support what they always believed, not they other way around).

Reactions: Gordy
Aug 2019
Albuquerque, NM
The Marquis de Sade was an evil atheist who fantasized about raping, murdering torturing children - he is where the terms "sadism" comes from. (I won't post a link to his books here, in fact some of them are illegal in some places due to depicting abuse of children).

If one is an atheist, on what grounds could they object to him - his "worldview" was simply that life is meaningless, and that man came from nature, just like every other animal (his books was written before Darwin and his theory of evolution - proving that this was just a simple, folk belief which has always existed prior to evolution being popularized - even if the theory of evolution was proven false, atheists would continue to believe this, just as they always have historically - evolution is simply used to support what they always believed, not they other way around).
Not quite sure what you are getting at with this post? Not believing in an afterlife does not mean that their worldview of athiests is that life is meaningless. Why would an athiest support the worldview of Marquis de Sade. And also, lots and lots of religious people who believe in the afterlife are violent, rapists, murderers, etc. Many have killed and raped in the name of god as well.

The simple answer is would you want to be raped and killed? If no, why are you doing it to others

Feb 2006
California

You speak of evil?

Aug 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Yawn...this particular poster is beginning to get seriously annoying. Basically the message seems to be "atheists are bad". Getting pretty tired of it.
I like the topics, and it could be worse, this one puts forth actual arguments instead of "athiest are stupid poopyheads". Plus, its so easy to refute the notion that athiests are bad

Although, lets be real, who is more moral. Those who are doing good for fear of god or to try and get into heaven, or those that are being good simply because it is the right thing to do? And some of the most immoral people in the world are religious people, so many of them don't live by the teachings of Jesus.

Feb 2006
California
I like the topics, and it could be worse, this one puts forth actual arguments instead of "athiest are stupid poopyheads". Plus, its so easy to refute the notion that athiests are bad

Although, lets be real, who is more moral. Those who are doing good for fear of god or to try and get into heaven, or those that are being good simply because it is the right thing to do? And some of the most immoral people in the world are religious people, so many of them don't live by the teachings of Jesus.
Remember this....

Thou Shall Not Ignore the Old Testament!

New Testament Verses Which Demand Following the Old Testament

Matthew 5:18-19

18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not one letter, not one stroke of a letter, will pass from the law until all is accomplished. 19 Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, will be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Luke 16:17

All of the vicious Old Testament laws will be binding forever. “It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid.”

Matthew 5:17

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place.”

It goes on and on ... the old testament still stands according to the new testament,

So may murder, rape and pillage be the Order of the day!

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee

Actually atheist do NOT think life is meaningless. QUITE THE OPPOSITE. Not believing in an afterlife makes living this life all that more important. You only get one shot and you better make the most of it. Regardless of what you think of DeSade, he lived life to its fullest. Trying to experience everything there was to experience. And don't think there aren't a whole lot of people out there that believe in Jesus and God, and still dance around the edges of DeSade's little world of domination and pain as pleasure. Google "loving discipline" it's basically sadomasochism for Christians.

Oct 2019
USA
Actually atheist do NOT think life is meaningless. QUITE THE OPPOSITE. Not believing in an afterlife makes living this life all that more important. You only get one shot and you better make the most of it. Regardless of what you think of DeSade, he lived life to its fullest.
I guess you're not aware of what his books contain.

As far as I'm aware, he was a predator who died in prison for raping girls and boys, like Ted Bundy or John Wayne Gacy - if you're saying that is "living life to the fullest" then that's disturbing, and proves my point.

It wasn't just bondage and S&M stuff he was into.

Aug 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Actually atheist do NOT think life is meaningless. QUITE THE OPPOSITE. Not believing in an afterlife makes living this life all that more important. You only get one shot and you better make the most of it. Regardless of what you think of DeSade, he lived life to its fullest. Trying to experience everything there was to experience. And don't think there aren't a whole lot of people out there that believe in Jesus and God, and still dance around the edges of DeSade's little world of domination and pain as pleasure. Google "loving discipline" it's basically sadomasochism for Christians.
That is a good point as well. I kind of feel bad for those ultra religious groups that think they can't enjoy life, celebrate things, have no possessions, expecting all the good to happen in the afterlife, and that life is about serving god to get to the afterlife. Seems like a terrible waste of presumable the only life we get

Oct 2019
USA

Although, lets be real, who is more moral. Those who are doing good for fear of god or to try and get into heaven, or those that are being good simply because it is the right thing to do?
"Right thing to do" according to who or what? I'm sure criminals in prison do "the right thing" due to fear of the law or the secular state, not for sincere reasons.

On what faith-based notions are you asserting "rightness" and "wrongness"?

And some of the most immoral people in the world are religious people, so many of them don't live by the teachings of Jesus.
Then they aren't very "Christian", now are they?

One could say Sade is evil, but one couldn't say that being evil means "he isn't an atheist".

Reactions: imaginethat
Oct 2019
USA
That is a good point as well. I kind of feel bad for those ultra religious groups that think they can't enjoy life, celebrate things, have no possessions, expecting all the good to happen in the afterlife, and that life is about serving god to get to the afterlife. Seems like a terrible waste of presumable the only life we get
Right, it's a waste of time for scientists to spend time studying the universe - since this is the only life we get, science doesn't matter, and it would be wiser for them to just spend their time drinking and getting high - screw science.