The notion that the US Constitution is a "living" document

Apr 2013
La La Land North
I usually hear the term in a more general sense. For example, a law that is a knee-jerk response to some tragedy but which in fact seems good but is actually ineffective in practice is "eye candy" where I come from.

Personal Attacks are illegal against another DTT member in good standing.
Well, thanks for the attack as not sure how it derives from "Proofread is one word, idiot..." but proof of idiot Federal Lynching KKK churchstate of hate cops after their suicidal under color of law baptise thine eyes by urinations of one of Ike's WW II Pentagon staff sergeants dictating can't talk Washington, D.C. sports; which they for some reason thought was not Arab "death to the infidels" who threatened POTUS on a phonetical spelled list filed with the FBI, but with a Freudian slip of those burning Bush's 9/11 Al Qaeda health care plan where had to return to amend the phonetical spelled list to include the Islamidiotocracy under color of law lynching enforcement of Al Qaeda & 9/11; which had no knowledge of & even less with Rehnquist's immaculate drug conceptions.

Jun 2019
NC
True, but she looks hot to me. edit: I bet she knows how to roast Horse Chestnuts and if she don't, TS is an expert. A Buckeye Tree has five leaflets and the nut is poisonous. The Horse Chestnut Tree has seven leaflets and the nut is edible and quite tasty when roasted which looks identical to the Buckeye to the uneducated eye.
Neither which matters to someone who doesn't like nuts...LOL

Jun 2019
NC
I usually hear the term in a more general sense. For example, a law that is a knee-jerk response to some tragedy but which in fact seems good but is actually ineffective in practice is "eye candy" where I come from.
That makes a bit more sense, sounds like an old term better off left behind, jmo. How has our language degraded to be a bland washed out interpretation of what it once was? When I listen to Trump speak I'm mortified, it's hard to bear.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
True, but she looks hot to me. edit: I bet she knows how to roast Horse Chestnuts and if she don't, TS is an expert. A Buckeye Tree has five leaflets and the nut is poisonous. The Horse Chestnut Tree has seven leaflets and the nut is edible and quite tasty when roasted which looks identical to the Buckeye to the uneducated eye.
Eat roasted Asian or European chestnuts, but horse chestnuts are poison.
The American Chestnut, said to be the tastiest chestnut, once the most common tree in North America, is almost extinct.

Feb 2014
Oregon
How would you have democracy/constitution defended in the classroom?
In the past we had children memorize some poems, songs and perhaps Lincoln's Gettysburg address or something like that. And we used hero stories, especially American hero stories. All children learned a set of America values and our history.

Then there was math that was practical everyday math with word questions. This was about teaching a child how to think logically and diagramming sentences would go with that.

We used the Conceptual method of education teaching progressively more complex concepts, and open-ended questions were asked. The teacher was instructed to pay less attention to correct dates and places and focus on the concepts that were being taught. Here a child could completely disagree with a teacher as long as demonstrated an understanding of concepts.

Speaking was considered a very important part of the education and the upper grades public speaking and debating was as important as football. Also in the upper grades, everyone learned civics. In the earlier grades, children learned how to behave and then how to be a good citizen and political participant.

This education was for well rounded individual growth, and music and art were important and vocational training in high school. By the time a student graduated the high, it was assumed the young person was ready for employment and life. Focusing all of education on preparing the young for college is new. I think it cheats all those not going to college out of the education they need to actualize themselves.

Feb 2014
Oregon
... or as William F. Buckley far more eloquently said "I Would Rather Be Governed By the First 2,000 People in the Telephone Directory than by the Harvard University Faculty."
I love that quote and recent research shows the wisdom of that sentiment. We now see herd animals using democratic decision making. It is not a herd leader making all the decisions, but when enough members of the herd think it is time to go to the river they all start moving with the herd. Or when people guess how much a pig weighs of how many jetty beans are in a jar, some guesses will be way too high and others way too low, but together the guesses are accurate.

Democracy is about the group mind, not the magnificence of a great leader who like in the movie "Lion King", or the Christian hope of a savior who is a leader sent by God to rule over us and to show the world our power and glory.

Dec 2015
Arizona
No, not a bit like that. It's an expression of placing more confidence in a democratic process than in a ruling elite.
I don't suppose you realize the irony in your statement but NEWS FLASH we are currently and have always been ruled by the elite. The white. The wealthy. The powerful. The men.

Feb 2014
Oregon
That makes a bit more sense, sounds like an old term better off left behind, jmo. How has our language degraded to be a bland washed out interpretation of what it once was? When I listen to Trump speak I'm mortified, it's hard to bear.
It is hard not to have a perverted language, as in times of war since the time of Athens' glory and power, the language and frame of mind are perverted.

However, I do believe our past education resulted in people with a better understanding of concepts and language. I thought "eye candy" was a sexy male or female. :smirk: I love hot dogs. :drool: It also doesn't matter if you were born male or female, because we can be anything we want to be, only it is really hard to pass as a teenager when one passes 40ty. There are times when trying to be something we are not, comes with problems and blaming others for this can increase the problem. I think we have lost our minds and in part, this comes down to the perversion of our language.

Feb 2014
Oregon
I don't suppose you realize the irony in your statement but NEWS FLASH we are currently and have always been ruled by the elite. The white. The wealthy. The powerful. The men.
Not as we are today. We had unions, granges, fraternal organizations, and education for democracy that taught people to work together to accomplish desired goals. True fundamental to our democracy is the concept of property rights, and our laws and law enforcers have protected property rights. Union people got their heads bashed in and coal miners were flat out killed by a police force, but these people also won better working conditions and wages and we didn't destroy their power with a "right to work law" that makes it possible to exploit the laborer. It boils down to education and education for technology is not education for democracy.

I think your statement is harmful to our democracy and should not be taken as fact with no resistance.

Last edited: