The Impeachment Process in a Nutshell
It'll be the shortest trial in history.The Impeachment Process in a Nutshell
- The House Judiciary Committee deliberates over whether to initiate an impeachment inquiry.
- The Judiciary Committee adopts a resolution seeking authority from the entire House of Representatives to conduct an inquiry. Before voting, the House debates and considers the resolution. Approval requires a majority vote.
- The Judiciary Committee conducts an impeachment inquiry, possibly through public hearings. At the conclusion of the inquiry, articles of impeachment are prepared. They must be approved by a majority of the Committee.
- The House of Representatives considers and debates the articles of impeachment. A majority vote of the entire House is required to pass each article. Once an article is approved, the President is, technically speaking, "impeached" -- that is subject to trial in the Senate.
- The Senate holds trial on the articles of impeachment approved by the House. The Senate sits as a jury while the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court presides over the trial.
- At the conclusion of the trial, the Senate votes on whether to remove the President from office. A two-thirds vote by the Members present in the Senate is required for removal. If the President is removed, the Vice-President assumes the Presidency under the chain of succession established by Amendment XXV.
The Senate has no choice in this, trial is mandatory.
Well...I think Biden inadvertently said it best...."This is a big f@cking deal".House vote on Articles is tomorrow.
they're saying it's somber, and I get that, impeaching the President is a huge deal & not to be taken lightly.
however I'm not feeling somber about it at all.
Even if Roberts acts impeccably, let's face it, about 95% of the Republican Senators know how they will vote right now before they have heard a word.It probably wont be a trial at all...more a rant show unless Roberts acts like a man.
|W.H. Budget Official Will Testify In Impeachment Probe If Subpoenaed: Lawyer||Current Events|
|Official thread: How is the impeachment trial going?||Current Events|
|National Security Council official set to testify in impeachment inquiry is leaving his post||Current Events|
|An official impeachment inquiry vote coming?||Current Events|