The official Impeachment Trial thread.

Sep 2019
U.S.A.
I figured I would get this started early as it is inevitable and the first thread has almost run its course.

This should be fun as the only defense will come from Trumps minions in Congress and here.

Reactions: se7en
Jul 2019
Georgia
Articles

I'm curious how the Senate intends to handle this when it gets to them. There are rumblings of no trial, straight to vote. Can they do that?

kidding about that last question, I know nothing matters anymore

Sep 2019
U.S.A.
Articles

I'm curious how the Senate intends to handle this when it gets to them. There are rumblings of no trial, straight to vote. Can they do that?

kidding about that last question, I know nothing matters anymore
The Impeachment Process in a Nutshell

1. The House Judiciary Committee deliberates over whether to initiate an impeachment inquiry.
  2. The Judiciary Committee adopts a resolution seeking authority from the entire House of Representatives to conduct an inquiry. Before voting, the House debates and considers the resolution. Approval requires a majority vote.
  3. The Judiciary Committee conducts an impeachment inquiry, possibly through public hearings. At the conclusion of the inquiry, articles of impeachment are prepared. They must be approved by a majority of the Committee.
  4. The House of Representatives considers and debates the articles of impeachment. A majority vote of the entire House is required to pass each article. Once an article is approved, the President is, technically speaking, "impeached" -- that is subject to trial in the Senate.
  5. The Senate holds trial on the articles of impeachment approved by the House. The Senate sits as a jury while the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court presides over the trial.
  6. At the conclusion of the trial, the Senate votes on whether to remove the President from office. A two-thirds vote by the Members present in the Senate is required for removal. If the President is removed, the Vice-President assumes the Presidency under the chain of succession established by Amendment XXV.

The Senate has no choice in this, trial is mandatory.

May 2018
none
The Impeachment Process in a Nutshell

1. The House Judiciary Committee deliberates over whether to initiate an impeachment inquiry.
  2. The Judiciary Committee adopts a resolution seeking authority from the entire House of Representatives to conduct an inquiry. Before voting, the House debates and considers the resolution. Approval requires a majority vote.
  3. The Judiciary Committee conducts an impeachment inquiry, possibly through public hearings. At the conclusion of the inquiry, articles of impeachment are prepared. They must be approved by a majority of the Committee.
  4. The House of Representatives considers and debates the articles of impeachment. A majority vote of the entire House is required to pass each article. Once an article is approved, the President is, technically speaking, "impeached" -- that is subject to trial in the Senate.
  5. The Senate holds trial on the articles of impeachment approved by the House. The Senate sits as a jury while the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court presides over the trial.
  6. At the conclusion of the trial, the Senate votes on whether to remove the President from office. A two-thirds vote by the Members present in the Senate is required for removal. If the President is removed, the Vice-President assumes the Presidency under the chain of succession established by Amendment XXV.

The Senate has no choice in this, trial is mandatory.
It'll be the shortest trial in history.

Jul 2019
Georgia
House vote on Articles is tomorrow.

they're saying it's somber, and I get that, impeaching the President is a huge deal & not to be taken lightly.

however I'm not feeling somber about it at all.

Reactions: tecoyah
Sep 2019
U.S.A.
House vote on Articles is tomorrow.

they're saying it's somber, and I get that, impeaching the President is a huge deal & not to be taken lightly.

however I'm not feeling somber about it at all.
Well...I think Biden inadvertently said it best...."This is a big f@cking deal".

Reactions: se7en

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
It probably wont be a trial at all...more a rant show unless Roberts acts like a man.
Even if Roberts acts impeccably, let's face it, about 95% of the Republican Senators know how they will vote right now before they have heard a word.

I really fear that the Senate majority will be not guilty or whatever the phraseology is.

And more and more both polls and the "gut feel" of reporters from media on both sides are saying that this will energize both Trump and his followers.

The only hope is that the people who disapprove of him get off their duffs and vote this time, especially in key states.

I think a lot of Dems know this and there is a greater movement by Dems to register voters and to encourage voting than I have ever seen before.

Reactions: tecoyah