The seven deadly sins

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Hey, Nimrod. Long time, no see. You're wrong about faith, from the standpoint of blind faith. Christianity is far from blind faith. The Lord Jesus, Himself, proved quite openly His power, obviously knew that just lip service would get His mission nowhere. And even His enemies testified to His supernatural works, couldn't deny them, had to, quite pitifully, say He did His works by the power of the devil, then, and had to admit the tomb was, indeed, empty, payoff the soldiers with big money to tell a very silly lie, that the body was stolen. Much, much, at God's hand also occurred in the Old Testament. You have a planet riddled with evidence of a global flood, for instance. If we didn't have an empty tomb, I'd not be warning you of putting in a permanent change of address to the infernal regions.
A global flood?????

Holy crap, THAT'S what you are going with? Evidence of a global flood????

HA HA HA HA HA HA

Funny how the Chinese missed this global flood.

Mar 2019
USA
Quick note to @47grapes @Nwolfe35 and @OrangeOrb

I don't want this thread to get sidetracked into another debate over the existence of a god, and yes I know I had a hand in that. The thread is about the 7 Deadly Sins and while I disagree with the principle of these sins, I think it's worth discussing.
Though I don't think you can divorce the sin discussion from God, as to whether there is moral law, fixed standards, or not. Whether there is any validation of the concept of holiness, or not. God is at the very center of the sin controversy, as to whether or not there is any authority that sin even exists, in a perjorative sense, as opposed to the law being the law of the jungle. Moral relativism, of our times, in fact denies fixed standards, that the only moral law is what somebody deems most expedient, to what they claim a greater purpose, which is often not somebody else's greater purpose, rather often their destruction. So, this can get down to senseless wars, etc. Take God out of the equation, you have the asylum inmates at the helm, which also gives you humanity's stellar history, who'd a thunk, of all those who've defied God and chosen sin. You can't just say we won't talk about God, if you want to talk about sin, as such laws you list are His laws, in the first place.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Kevin Spacey asked that his name not be used in the opening credits so as to not spoil the surprise of him playing the villain.
Well you kinda touched on it as a discussion of moral relativism vs moral absolutes (more or less). I think morals are dynamic and you can't have foundational rights and wrongs. The seven deadly sins are perfect examples. As I put in my OP, there are situations where each of the seven deadly sins are not only acceptable but beneficial. Let's look at one of the examples I gave.

I ran a half marathon in under 2 hours. I worked months towards that goal and I'm really proud of it. If races come up in conversation, I'm proud to talk about this as an accomplishment. Is that immoral? Should I be punished for being proud of this?

Mar 2019
USA
A global flood?????

Holy crap, THAT'S what you are going with? Evidence of a global flood????

HA HA HA HA HA HA

Funny how the Chinese missed this global flood.
You must live your life, observing things through one of those cardboard tubes, in the middle of a roll of paper towels. That most tangential mention of the flood, of which, if you find yourself running a fever and actually research something, anything, if only once in your life, you'll find the evidence is overwhelming. But that would be at the bottom of barrel of other proof offered in this thread. Oh, hell. Just forget it. Go hunting, Nimrod..

Last edited:
Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Though I don't think you can divorce the sin discussion from God, as to whether there is moral law, fixed standards, or not. Whether there is any validation of the concept of holiness, or not. God is at the very center of the sin controversy, as to whether or not there is any authority that sin even exists, in a perjorative sense, as opposed to the law being the law of the jungle. Moral relativism, of our times, in fact denies fixed standards, that the only moral law is what somebody deems most expedient, to what they claim a greater purpose, which is often not somebody else's greater purpose, rather often their destruction. So, this can get down to senseless wars, etc. Take God out of the equation, you have the asylum inmates at the helm, which also gives you humanity's stellar history, who'd a thunk, of all those who've defied God and chosen sin. You can't just say we won't talk about God, if you want to talk about sin, as such laws you list are His laws, in the first place.
What a bunch of absolute hogwash!

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg.

This is shown in the very book you claim is the Word of God.

The Israelites slaughter CHILDREN in the name of their religion. Your book orders parents to kill their children for disobedience. Your book says that we should kill people for the "sin" of being gay. Your book orders the death of people who have the audacity to work on a Holy Day.

If you want to lead a moral life the LAST place you should turn to for guidance is the Bible.

Reactions: GluteusMaximus
Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
You must live your life, observing things through one of those cardboard tubes, in the middle of a roll of paper towels. That most tangential mention of the flood, of which, if you find yourself running a fever and actually research something, anything, if only once n your life, you'll find the evidence is overwhelming. But that would be at the bottom of barrel of other proof offered in this thread. Oh, hell. Just forget it. Go hunting, Nimrod..
YOU are the one observing life through a "cardboard tube" and that tube even has a name...THE BIBLE.

May 2018
USA
(sigh)...really?