The seven deadly sins

May 2018
USA
What a bunch of absolute hogwash!

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg.

This is shown in the very book you claim is the Word of God.

The Israelites slaughter CHILDREN in the name of their religion. Your book orders parents to kill their children for disobedience. Your book says that we should kill people for the "sin" of being gay. Your book orders the death of people who have the audacity to work on a Holy Day.

If you want to lead a moral life the LAST place you should turn to for guidance is the Bible.
One of the guys here has a superb quote. I'll paraphrase, although I'm sure I'll get it wrong. "Good people do good things, bad people do bad things. Only religion can make a good person do bad things".

Mar 2019
USA
I ran a half marathon in under 2 hours. I worked months towards that goal and I'm really proud of it. If races come up in conversation, I'm proud to talk about this as an accomplishment. Is that immoral? Should I be punished for being proud of this?
You'll find the Bible covers all those topics, in spades. Man also has God given conscience, morality within all of us, all cultures having like, or even identical, moral law. Scripture also speaks to God governing in man's affairs, for instance, the execution of criminal justice, even in dictatorships certain moral law processed the same.

As to your marathon, that's cool, if you're not aggrandizing yourself above others or God, this isn't the sort of pride that's such a great sin. Actually, scripture pride is evil manifest in man's vanity, pride of life, thinking himself more than he is, above others, superior, thinking himself, as if, above God, self-sufficient, who needs God, wanting to be a "star" that's admired, idolatry, such things in that sin equation, at the center of God's pride complaint. And it is rather stupid, that the mortal creature, of a few years, can even think he's all that, when his lot, his end, in this world, if he were President, is no better than a beggar's. Nobody has anything to crow about, before Holy and Almighty, Eternal God. The primary problem isn't what we'd call simple pride in some achievement, satisfaction of having done well. Maybe pride, if there's a Biblical sense intended, isn't the best word for that, and a more modern usage of the word, for taking satisfaction in your successes you aren't building an alter around, don't think the Bible condemns personal satisfaction in achievement, though the Chrisitan gives God the glory, since our very being is a gift of God, our ability to do anything good, at all, from what He has provided, what He has allowed. I find myself thanking the Lord, a lot, over good things, all good things, since God, in fact, is required to sustain His creation, which means all of us dependent on Him, even the atheists and Satanists, that, as if, say, "Screw you, God! Now, feed me!" That makes a lot of sense, doesn't it? They love His life, love His creation, stuff their mouths full of it, everyday, and hate their Creator. Stupid is as stupid does.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
You'll find the Bible covers all those topics, in spades. Man also has God given conscience, morality within all of us, all cultures having like, or even identical, moral law. Scripture also speaks to God governing in man's affairs, for instance, the execution of criminal justice, even in dictatorships certain moral law processed the same.

As to your marathon, that's cool, if you're not aggrandizing yourself above others or God, this isn't the sort of pride that's such a great sin. Actually, scripture pride is evil manifest in man's vanity, pride of life, thinking himself more than he is, above others, superior, thinking himself, as if, above God, self-sufficient, who needs God, wanting to be a "star" that's admired, idolatry, such things in that sin equation, at the center of God's pride complaint. And it is rather stupid, that the mortal creature, of a few years, can even think he's all that, when his lot, his end, in this world, if he were President, is no better than a beggar's. Nobody has anything to crow about, before Holy and Almighty, Eternal God. The primary problem isn't what we'd call simple pride in some achievement, satisfaction of having done well. Maybe pride, if there's a Biblical sense intended, isn't the best word for that, and a more modern usage of the word, for taking satisfaction in your successes you aren't building an alter around, don't think the Bible condemns personal satisfaction in achievement, though the Chrisitan gives God the glory, since our very being is a gift of God, our ability to do anything good, at all, from what He has provided, what He has allowed. I find myself thanking the Lord, a lot, over good things, all good things, since God, in fact, is required to sustain His creation, which means all of us dependent on Him, even the atheists and Satanists, that, as if, say, "Screw you, God! Now, feed me!" That makes a lot of sense, doesn't it? They love His life, love His creation, stuff their mouths full of it, everyday, and hate their Creator. Stupid is as stupid does.
This is why I wanted to separate god from the conversation. Keep a couple things in mind. I am not convinced a god exists. Because of this, I give the bible the same amount of credibility as I would any other old book. So what can you say to me to convince me the 7 deadly sins are something I should abide by? Because if all you're going to present is arguments about god and the bible I'm not going to be convinced.

Try to put yourself in my position.

Mar 2019
USA
YOU are the one observing life through a "cardboard tube" and that tube even has a name...THE BIBLE.
Tell you what then, Nimsy. Maybe after you've met God, found out, to your horror, how big you really are, after 500 years or so of you wishing you had a drop of water on your tongue, I'll checkin on you, Lord willing, and see if you still think the Bible and the blood of the Lord Jesus weren't useful.

Last edited:
Mar 2019
USA
This is why I wanted to separate god from the conversation. Keep a couple things in mind. I am not convinced a god exists. Because of this, I give the bible the same amount of credibility as I would any other old book. So what can you say to me to convince me the 7 deadly sins are something I should abide by? Because if all you're going to present is arguments about god and the bible I'm not going to be convinced.

Try to put yourself in my position.
It wasn't a matter of responding with regard to what you believe, didn't know this, as a matter of fact, don't hang around here much, but responding to the sin topic. It's more expressing my take on these things, which would be God, the author of these concepts, centric, with the most to say about it. And I do see your position, though, of course, can't see its validity, more see your orientation as only part of the story, the equation, that, in fact, God is the entire moral causation, regardless what you are or are not convinced of. Truth exists, regardless of our beliefs to the contrary. Truth isn't, therefore, dependent on our beliefs, either. In turn, that you're not convinced of the truth doesn't give me reason to dispense with truth, as if simply sweep it under the rug even appropriate. Or, put it this way, I see your position, just don't agree with it, that is, agree that what you're seeing is where the topic ends, that those limits exist. Naturally, there's no sense in discussing anything, if we're going to limit ourselves, to say, an atheistic notion of a very theological topic, sin perhaps the most major topic of scripture, in fact. It would seem, though, there is no sin to an atheist, since there is nothing objective to measure such things by, and no eternal consequences, etc. In fact, most faithless people love their sin and vanities too much to part with them, bottom line reject God, reject the Lord, the Master, this the true nature of sin, in man's spiritual, or should say lack thereof, alchemy. You don't want to believe. You don't want to think of sin as sinful, would like that nagging conscience to simply go away. as well as anybody else that reminds you of it, would like God out of the equation, and that's also the truth. You can't go around, pretending you're your own God, on your own pedestal, doing whatever you wish, with Him in the picture. Naturally, you'd like to kick God out of the discussion, as you have your life. But that's harder to do than you think. Even if you got everybody to cease mentioning God, again, you can run, but you can't hide. Your restless conscience is at the center of you introducing such topics, as a matter of fact. It's at the center of the lady that doth protest too much, atheistic complaints, against people of faith. If it's all so stupid and silly, this God concept, why can't you give it a rest? Talk about something else, than theological topics? You know, I never talk about Santa Claus, because I know it's just a fairy tale. Nor am I exercised about Santa Claus. Nor am I seeking out Santa Claus fans and threads to dispute with. Think about it. Who is most in a lather the other exists, the Christian, or the atheist, in all these forums?

Last edited:
Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Tell you what then, Nimsy. Maybe after you've met God, found out, to your horror, how big you really are, after 500 years or so of you wishing you had a drop of water on your tongue, I'll checkin on you, Lord willing, and see if you still think the Bible and the blood of the Lord Jesus weren't useful.
I love how you resort to name calling. So very Christian of you.

If your God gives people the ability to reason and then offers no evidence of his existence and then punishes, for eternity, those who use their ability to reason to come a conclusion that he doesn’t exist...then your God is the #1 asshole of the universe.