The Shocking, Unacceptable Levels of Hunger and Homelessness in American Cities

Jun 2014
United States
The Shocking, Unacceptable Levels of Hunger and Homelessness in American Cities | Alternet

A number of important findings emerged from the survey:

Emergency food assistance requests rose by an average of 2.8 percent during the survey period in more than half, 61 percent, of the cities involved in the survey.
Twenty-three percent of requests for emergency food assistance in the cities surveyed went unmet.
Food pantries and emergency kitchens had to cut back on the amount of food given out as groceries or meals in 47 percent of cities involved in the survey. Additionally, in far more than half of cities surveyed, 57 percent, families and individuals had to cut down on the number of visits to charitable food outlets they could make each month. The same percentage of cities were unable to meet food requests by homeless and hungry residents demand because they lacked sufficient resources.
Lack of affordable housing, an issue that continues to worsen in many places around the country, was the primary reason given for homelessness among families with children. Poverty, unemployment and low-paying jobs were the reasons that followed.
In 50 percent of cities surveyed, mayors indicated they expected homelessness to rise “moderately” next year. Similarly, 65 percent of cities say they expect emergency food requests to “moderately” increase over the coming 12 months.

The cities and mayors involved in this year’s report are below. It should be noted that, per the paper, “[o]nly cities whose mayors are members of the U.S. Conference of Mayors Task Force on Hunger and Homelessness were invited to submit information for [the] report.”
My gawd....look at how we treat our fellow citizens. Guess the NIV god doesn't love them so why should any republican/teabagger, huh? Sick and sad

Jun 2014
United States
How much above and beyond what you are required to pay the Gov do you send in LW?
why would I send in any more when more and more corporations, under the republican controlled congress who writes the tax laws, pay less and less? Let's tax these corporations because their tax cuts certainly did NOT provide the jobs we were promised they would.

Jun 2015
OZ
why would I send in any more when more and more corporations, under the republican controlled congress who writes the tax laws, pay less and less? Let's tax these corporations because their tax cuts certainly did NOT provide the jobs we were promised they would.
Meaning of course all of this "rhetoric" about the hungry other Leftwing causes is bullshit, you should send in more because they "need" your help.

Hypocrite :)

Jun 2014
United States
Meaning of course all of this "rhetoric" about the hungry other Leftwing causes is bullshit, you should send in more because they "need" your help.

Hypocrite :)
Not a hypocrite at all to think that my taxes go to war and the rich which is the republican value system and I am voting democratic because MY moral value is to take care of the poor, not create more, and tax the rich who enjoy their life here, while stopping their influence on our elections.

It's a matter of ethical and moral values. I see which ways yours go. ;)

Dec 2013
Everything is going to be OK
Not a hypocrite at all to think that my taxes go to war and the rich which is the republican value system and I am voting democratic because MY moral value is to take care of the poor, not create more, and tax the rich who enjoy their life here, while stopping their influence on our elections.

It's a matter of ethical and moral values. I see which ways yours go. ;)
Your taxes go to the government jackwagon and you want us to pay more.