The Theory of Evolution

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
3. "Evolution can't be true because you can't get something out of nothing."

This is particularly frustrating because it's comparing two things that have nothing to do with one another. When discussing the origins of the human race, there are three critical steps; how did the universe come into existence, how did life come into existence, and how did humans come into existence. Evolution is the explanation for that third question, but it does not and never has attempted to answer either of the first two questions. How did the universe come into existence? That question is addressed in the big bang theory. How did life come into existence? That question is addressed through abiogenisis (probably won't ever graduate to a theory due to testing limitations).

I'm more that happy to discuss evolution, but I'm hoping to avoid common misconceptions if at all possible.
The universe came into existence the same way humans did. Randomly. Life did not come into existence at all, it always was.

I am sure you don't follow at all but that is because you have a preconceived template of thought that is a false.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
The universe came into existence the same way humans did. Randomly. Life did not come into existence at all, it always was.

I am sure you don't follow at all but that is because you have a preconceived template of thought that is a false.
Correct. Life did not have to come into existence. It just happened to. We are just in the current state of life.

But again, evolution does not attempt to explain how life came into existence.

I'm not exactly sure of your objection here...

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Well, just make up a god and then you are spared the embarrassment of having to say you don't know.
I heard a conversation the other day between a devout christian and an atheist. The atheist was trying to understand why the person believed what they believed. Towards the end of the conversation, the christian started crying and explained, something to the effect of, "I lost my sister when I was 13 and I miss her every day. But I've always thought that one day I'd get to see her again."

I tend to think most people haven't gone through critical examination of their faith, but don't fault them. It's a scary thing to think a belief you've held deeply your entire life may be wrong.

But this is a thread about Evolution so I don't want to get too deep into religion :)