The tipping custom is bs and should be ignored.

Jul 2019
Georgia
To you, waiting tables was just something to carry you over for a while. Waiting tables is beneath you.

The last time we visited San Francisco, we had an incredible dinner at the Cliff House, big windows looking out over the ultramarine Pacific. The chef grows his own tomato plants!! The menu was quite varied, but we live in the middle of the continent, and whenever we are by the ocean, it's seafood for us, fresh seafood ............. fresh oysters, mussels, scallops, crab, ahi tuna, salmon, pacific cod....................

Our waiter made numerous excellent suggestions, and provided exquisite service.

He'd waited at the restaurant for almost 40 years. He took immense pride in his chosen profession. He clearly wasn't a rich man, but he had a nice home, and was set to retire in a few years.

Waiting tables was not beneath him, not something he did to carry him over for a little while. Waiting tables for him is something you can't imagine.
the literal best service I have recently received was at a Waffle House in Kennesaw, believe it or not. She was elderly, and treated us like kings at a Waffle House at 9am on a Sunday Morning. Professional is an understatement. I tipped her 100% (but don't think I'm MoneyBags or anything - it's Waffle House and the price of their plates are like $6 each or something).

Jul 2019
Georgia
The motive is self-pride. You have none so perhaps you will never understand. I always give my best no matter what. This is a big part of being a winner. You do not understand.
cheapskates aren't winners

(and are usually p00rs themselves)

Reactions: Clara007
Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
Silly arguments. there is not tipping law and we are are all free to tip as much, as little or none at all. I do not care if tips are how a waiter survives, I am not responsible for his survival ad he is not responsible for mine. It is his choice to work in that kind of service industry that relies on the charity or generosity of others. We are all free to work where and what we want.

I did waiting before so I know it works and that is why I made this thread. I did not stay a waiter because I do not see that as a worthy lifetime job and I don't think anyone with goals should.

That's is all I really have to say. If you want to tip the tip away.

Jul 2019
Georgia
Silly arguments. there is not tipping law and we are are all free to tip as much, as little or none at all. I do not care if tips are how a waiter survives, I am not responsible for his survival ad he is not responsible for mine. It is his choice to work in that kind of service industry that relies on the charity or generosity of others. We are all free to work where and what we want.

I did waiting before so I know it works and that is why I made this thread. I did not stay a waiter because I do not see that as a worthy lifetime job and I don't think anyone with goals should.

That's is all I really have to say. If you want to tip the tip away.
you're free to not tip
you're free to whine about tipping
and if you do so on a public forum, others are free to explain to you why they disagree

Jan 2020
Congo Free State, Africa
It is not only that I find it ridiculous that I should feel obligated to leave an extra 20% on top of the bill just because all the guy or gal did was place a plat on my table, I find it insulting. It argued that waiters and waitresses live off customer tips? So what? No one forced then to get a job that lives of people's charity.

I am perfectly happy to go to a restaurant that states clearly at the door and the menu that a service charge will be added to the bill though. Noting wrong with that.

Tipping is a custom that always guarantees bad service:

1. Discrimination - The waiter will cherry-pick who he thinks or knows is rich or generous and grab them.

2. Bad service - The waiter will spend more time at the table that he thinks will tip more and dash over there as soon as he sees the drink need refilling or a napkin gets dropped while not caring much about the "lesser" tables

3. Dishonesty - If you go to a restaurant and ask the waiter what is good on the menu, instead of telling you what he thinks is good he will promote the more expensive dishes since he knows that he will get a higher percentage tip because of the final price on the bill

Having a service charge is fine since it is honest and upfront. Tipping is hidden, coerced and indirect blackmail.

The best is no tipping custom and customers should be charged whatever the restaurant owner wants. Let it be up to the free-market.them
"The waiter will cherry-pick who he thinks or knows is rich or generous and grab them."

Generous, sure. Rich? No. If you actually worked in a service job you'd know that the rich DON'T tip well or at all.
All 3 of your statements reflect how you feel things work, not how they do. You're a lawyer, right?

A guy in a crowd stands up and says "All lawyers are assholes."
Another guy stands up and says, "I resent that"
The first guy says, "Why? Are you a lawyer?"
The second guy says, "No, I'm an asshole."

Sep 2019
Louisville, Ky
Waitstaff are ASSIGNED tables or areas and serve whoever is there....if you are an ass they will probably notice just like everyone else and when you don't tip will not be overly surprised. If someone decides they are above tipping or for another reason do not, they will be frowned upon and seen as inconsiderate and judging by the posting history of the OP he does not care. Do as you please but do not expect to be respected.

Jul 2015
chicago
always been 20% since I was old enough to start'a tipping. About 20 years.

I tip 20% for adequate service. 25-30 (or more sometimes) for exceptional service.

only go below 20% for straight shitty service.
And what if next week the "tipping" authorities say you need to tip 35% for your meal. Will you think that is fine?

Feb 2020
Houston
I gotta go with se7en on this one.

When you enter a Restaurant in the States, you know the wait staff is working for sub-market wages for the opportunity to earn tips. I don't want some grumpy minimum wage Walmart greeter reject bringing me my Tex Mex. I want to see a person who has the energy and grace to smile when they've been on their feet serving people for seven hours.

I'll reward them for their efforts, because that's how you get that effort to be there in the first place..

Se7en, the only thing I don't do, and I don't say you're wrong, is I tip at least 20%, even for poor service and I over-tip that for good service. My reasoning is the server may be new, stressed, or just not on their A-game that day. I have days like that at work, but I always got paid my full wage.

Jul 2019
Georgia
And what if next week the "tipping" authorities say you need to tip 35% for your meal. Will you think that is fine?
there are no authorities,
we do what's customary

but yes on bar tabs 30ish percent is about right
and it's been that way for at least 20 years as well