The tipping custom is bs and should be ignored.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
It's just straight up trashy and contemptible not to tip.

And there are two facts about non-tippers: either they (a) never eat the same place twice, or (b) they enjoy eating other people's spit and assorted garbage in the food they're served.
Non-tippers are remembered.
Years ago I was beer salesman, and we learned to tip big, and it's stuck with me.
It doesn't cost much, the difference between stiffing someone and leaving a good tip isn't much, if the tab is c-note, leave a double sawbuck, you do that, people smile when you walk in, you get better service, you get better food, the whole deal is better.
And really, you stiff em, you're a miserable prick, with $20 you wouldn't have had. Is that worth it?

Marcus Livius

Former Staff
Sep 2017
Hell
It's just straight up trashy and contemptible not to tip.

And there are two facts about non-tippers: either they (a) never eat the same place twice, or (b) they enjoy eating other people's spit and assorted garbage in the food they're served.
Non-tippers are remembered.
I agree. In my time during my hospitality industry career, not only do they remember the assholes and non-tipper, they tell everyone else and they all look to make sure they recognize the person on the next round. Sabotaging someone's food is a crime that is taken seriously by authorities, but it will be guaranteed that if one is recognized as a non-tipper, it will be safe to assume that there will be no one going out of their way to make your visit memorable.

Years ago I was beer salesman, and we learned to tip big, and it's stuck with me.
It doesn't cost much, the difference between stiffing someone and leaving a good tip isn't much, if the tab is c-note, leave a double sawbuck, you do that, people smile when you walk in, you get better service, you get better food, the whole deal is better.
And really, you stiff em, you're a miserable prick, with $20 you wouldn't have had. Is that worth it?
It is not just the service. It is things like asking for extra cheese and really get a generous amount without the tacked on charge.

I'm glad you had that experience. My opinion was based on mine. There are always exceptions.
More than just exceptions. Like I said in an earlier post, I did work in the hospitality industry and your commentary is just too broad. Unless someone is famous, there is no way to know if one is rich and HOW rich. Someone wearing expensive clothes, and driving an expensive car might be a month behind on his in-law apartment rent, credit card, and car payments.

I still talk to a lot of friends that I met when I was that career. Sean Hannity had a tab of less than two hundred dollars at Ruth Chris Steak House and left fourteen one hundred dollar bills on the table when he walked out. Apparently he always pay in cash as not to leave a signature. Say what you will of the asshole, but bad tipper he is not.

Chuck Norris did the breakfast buffet at the Marriot Hotel at SFO. Thirty six dollar tab, paid one hundred fifty dollars.

Last edited: