The Trump administration is rejecting requests from US embassies to fly the rainbow flag for Pride Month

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
The way i feel about it is that only the US flag should be flown. No other flag needed in expressing pride.

Otherwise, what in the future will stop any rogue embassy personel from flying a confederate flag , communist flag, Nazi flag, a state flag, a satanist flag, isis flag, a Christian flag or a hello kitty flag from an embassy building?

And no, i have nothing agianst the rainbow flag. Im just saying an innocuous idea is its own can of worms. Just saying.

I could not have said it better.

Nov 2005
California
The way i feel about it is that only the US flag should be flown. No other flag needed in expressing pride.
Otherwise, what in the future will stop any rogue embassy personel from flying a confederate flag , communist flag, Nazi flag, a state flag, a satanist flag, isis flag, a Christian flag or a hello kitty flag from an embassy building?
And no, i have nothing agianst the rainbow flag. Im just saying an innocuous idea is its own can of worms. Just saying.
Please note that what follows does not assume to place your position in either situation. Just recognizing a reality of how some people do things...

On one hand, I can appreciate what you're saying. If we are to put forth a standard of no flag flown at the U.S. embassy except the U.S. flag, then so be it.
On another hand, I recognize the reality of how this sort of thing plays out for some people. As an example, after the Civil Rights Act was passed, some people recognized they could no longer exclude blacks from the city's swimming pool and decided they should close it instead of allowing blacks and whites to enjoy the pool together.

Regarding marriage rights, I saw a wave of DOMA legislation pass in this country. Interestingly enough, I know of no state's "DOMA" which tried to remove government from marriage.
After SCOTUS ruled that the government could not discriminate between straight marriage and gay marriage, I started hearing people talk about how the state shouldn't be involved in marriage anymore and it should be left up to the churches. (Anybody who knows how over 1,000 rights, privileges and benefits are tied to marriage would recognize that such a move would result in logistical chaos.)

I can appreciate that some will look at this situation and think it should just be the American flag for the embassy and they truly don't care what other type of flag (e.g. like the types you listed) are presented. After all, for people like you and I this sort of situation (controversy over a specific embassy flag) is a unique occurrence and I know this is the first time I have discussed this. I suspect the same for others...
For others (hint: Pence) it is entirely suspect as to how they choose to get involved in THIS PARTICULAR situation. It won't be the first time that history has seen the solution of rejecting everybody rather than let one group use the resource and it won't be the last...

Sep 2017
Hell
From what I've read, the Embassies should never have asked for permission. The flag had already been flown in under Trump's Presidency because it was up to whomever was in charge at the different embassies. For some odd reason, some of them decided to ask for permission and I believe it may have been NYT or WaPo that said it was Pompeo that denied them, which makes sense to me since he is actually the one that is in charge of the combined US Embassies and Consulates. Pompeo also had been outspoken against Gay marriage sometime ago. In all likelihood, the Embassies and Consulates that are flying the rainbow flag just went ahead and did it without ever having asked for permission, because no one has yet to say that there was actually a general DIRECTIVE to not fly that flag.

For what it is worth, Trump have appointed openly gay Ambassadors, is the first Republican President to openly acknowledge Gay Pride Month.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
The real question is why should it be flown?

Why does this segment of the population believe that they are so special that the government should fly their flag?

It's silly and obnoxious.

May 2018
Chicago
.For what it is worth, Trump have appointed openly gay Ambassadors, is the first Republican President to openly acknowledge Gay Pride Month.
It's worth noting when Trump has done all he can to fuck with our rights. Trans folks are getting kicked out of the military and health care professionals can now deny us treatment simply based on their religion. I'm not sure what reality you live in, but that is far from being supportive.

May 2018
Chicago
It won't be the first time that history has seen the solution of rejecting everybody rather than let one group use the resource and it won't be the last...
If they do that, then they will deny the POW/MIA flag being flown too. How do you think that will work for them?

Nov 2005
California
The real question is why should it be flown?
Why does this segment of the population believe that they are so special that the government should fly their flag?
This has already been addressed...
The Trump administration has reportedly denied requests from several United States embassies to fly the rainbow flag on the flagpole in honor of Pride Month, which stands in contrast with President Donald Trump's recent pledge to "stand in solidarity" with the LGBTQ community around the world.

And what's really stupid about your response is Trump has tried pretending he cares.
Trump’s Global Mission to Decriminalize Homosexuality Greeted With Skepticism
But now, he doesn't want to do something rather simple and obvious to reaffirm a position he himself has supposedly picked up? It's a perfect demonstration of a position he claims he espouses by utilizing the embassies to fly a flag demonstrating the U.S. supports decriminalization, but Trump can't be bothered with something so simple???[/indent]