The U.S. has rejected Russia’s offer to try to save a key nuclear treaty

Oct 2010
Colorado
Further proof that the military industrial complex owns our Dear Leader.

The U.S. has rejected Russia’s offer
to try to save a key nuclear treaty
The U.S. is threatening to pull out of a key longstanding nuclear treaty with Russia within weeks over a cruise missile system that’s believed to violate the agreement.​
Russia had offered to allow American officials to inspect the 9M729 nuclear-capable cruise missile system at the heart of the dispute over the 1987 Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces (INF) treaty, which has helped keep peace in Europe for 30 years. But Washington says that won’t be enough, and insists Russia must destroy the system to remain compliant....​

....“We explained to our Russian counterparts specifically what they would need to do in order to return to compliance in a manner that we can confirm, verifiable destruction of the non-compliant system,” Thompson told reporters.​
“To see the missile does not confirm the distance that missile can travel, and at the end of the day, that’s the violation of the treaty.”​
...Thompson said if Moscow didn’t indicate its intention to comply by Feb. 2, the U.S. would stop observing the treaty — allowing American defense researchers to resume development of missiles within the proscribed range — and would formally give notice of its withdrawal, to take effect Aug. 2. She said there were no plans for further talks before the Feb. 2 deadline.​
...Russian President Vladimir Putin warned last month of a new arms race if the U.S. begins developing the intermediate-range missiles banned under the treaty, vowing that his military would respond in kind. The prospect of a renewed arms race in Europe has caused alarm across the continent, where there will no longer be restrictions on deployment of medium-range missiles if the pact collapses. The European Union has urged both sides to save the treaty, which foreign affairs chief Federica Mogherini stressed had “guaranteed peace and security in European territory for 30 years.”​

More: The U.S. has rejected Russia’s offer to try to save a key nuclear treaty

Jun 2018
South Dakota
The Russians are running an old game played by The Germans and Japanese after WWII We all agreed to limit the size and number of ships after the war to stop the arms race and limit the capabilities of all involved to a point where they could not effectively wage war worldwide. The Germans and the Japanese immediately violated it, building ships that violated the agreements. The US did reap 1 benefit, we converted two proposed Battle cruisers prohibited by treat to aircraft carriers that ended up changing the course of the war in the Pacific.

Oct 2010
Colorado
The Russians are running an old game played by The Germans and Japanese after WWII We all agreed to limit the size and number of ships after the war to stop the arms race and limit the capabilities of all involved to a point where they could not effectively wage war worldwide. The Germans and the Japanese immediately violated it, building ships that violated the agreements. The US did reap 1 benefit, we converted two proposed Battle cruisers prohibited by treat to aircraft carriers that ended up changing the course of the war in the Pacific.
You're right, but to be fair the US also unilaterally pulled out of the ABM treaty. GW did it I think.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Other than Trump, Pompeo and Bolton claiming they are cheating, I haven't seen any justification for that claim.

Several US think tanks, probably left leaning I could believe, say that pulling out is a dangerous mistake.

A Russian analyst says that Russia got screwed by it. It did get rid of the Pershings in Europe but big deal since you had Polaris missiles and aircraft conveyed missiles which Russia did not at the time, and the treaty was only regarding land based missiles.

The head of NATO likes it but he too has an agenda, anything to get more nasties pointed at Russia would be good in his view.

Bottom line, I don't like it.

However, it does bring the top of my mind the quote usually attributed to Einstein:

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”

Nov 2018
Inner Space
After WWII??? Do you mean WWl?

Nov 2018
Inner Space
Other than Trump, Pompeo and Bolton claiming they are cheating, I haven't seen any justification for that claim.

Several US think tanks, probably left leaning I could believe, say that pulling out is a dangerous mistake.

A Russian analyst says that Russia got screwed by it. It did get rid of the Pershings in Europe but big deal since you had Polaris missiles and aircraft conveyed missiles which Russia did not at the time, and the treaty was only regarding land based missiles.

The head of NATO likes it but he too has an agenda, anything to get more nasties pointed at Russia would be good in his view.

Bottom line, I don't like it.

However, it does bring the top of my mind the quote usually attributed to Einstein:

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”
One can only imagine what sort of conversations the Putin-ophile Trump had with Pompeo and Bolton, two charming Bush-era imperialist neo-conservatives

Sep 2017
Hell
Netherlands and NATO both says Russia is cheating with the cruise missile. Remember Russia even initially denied the existence of the missile. Some say that is is foolish for the US to stay in the treaty if we're the only one being constrained by it. China has already developed long range land launched cruise missiles as a counter to our carriers.

Another thing is that the Russians are also cheating with their Topol mobile launch system which is now no longer intermediate range, but is now full range ICBM. ICBMs by treaty has to be in a silo. We cancelled our MX system for that reason.

The US is withdrawing from a nuclear arms treaty with Russia. An arms race might be next.

Netherlands has proof Russia developed prohibited cruise missile

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Netherlands and NATO both says Russia is cheating with the cruise missile. Remember Russia even initially denied the existence of the missile. Some say that is is foolish for the US to stay in the treaty if we're the only one being constrained by it. China has already developed long range land launched cruise missiles as a counter to our carriers.

Another thing is that the Russians are also cheating with their Topol mobile launch system which is now no longer intermediate range, but is now full range ICBM. ICBMs by treaty has to be in a silo. We cancelled our MX system for that reason.

The US is withdrawing from a nuclear arms treaty with Russia. An arms race might be next.

Netherlands has proof Russia developed prohibited cruise missile
This treaty was only between the US and Russia, and only on missiles with a range of 500 km up to 5500 km. ICBMs are outside the scope of this treaty.