The UK Supreme Court Backs Christian Baker over Gay Cake

Jun 2018
Toronto
Try refusing to sell a cake to a black person and see how far it gets you.

:)

They can say I don't like your hairstyle, your attitude, whatever, just get lost. Happens all the time btw. to all kinds of people.

Last edited:

RNG

Apr 2013
La La Land North

:)

They can say I don't like your hairstyle, your attitude, whatever, just get lost. Happens all the time btw. to all kinds of people.
Unless they are a protected class.

I think a business in this day and age should have the right to not serve people they don't want to for any reason. My only stipulations would be that they must post a prominent sign saying so, and that the people who don't get served have other options within a reasonable distance.

But at the time the civil rights laws were needed to protect people and my feeling is that forcing bigoted bakers to supply gays with product is a small price to pay on the road to equality.

And because, as can be seen in terms of restricting voting access and access to abortion, Republicans are by and large assholes it makes the application of such a relaxation impossible.

Jun 2018
Toronto
Unless they are a protected class.

I think a business in this day and age should have the right to not serve people they don't want to for any reason. My only stipulations would be that they must post a prominent sign saying so, and that the people who don't get served have other options within a reasonable distance.

But at the time the civil rights laws were needed to protect people and my feeling is that forcing bigoted bakers to supply gays with product is a small price to pay on the road to equality.

And because, as can be seen in terms of restricting voting access and access to abortion, Republicans are by and large assholes it makes the application of such a relaxation impossible.

That's not equality. That is privilege, because this same baker now has a right to refuse service to a straight couple for whatever reason, while the gay couple has the power to force him. Almost like a gay dictatorship.

This is just silly and absurd.

RNG

Apr 2013
La La Land North
That's not equality. That is privilege, because this same baker now has a right to refuse service to a straight couple for whatever reason, while the gay couple has the power to force him. Almost like a gay dictatorship.

Are you sure they have the right to refuse service to a straight couple? Not here.

Nov 2005
California
You fail to understand the law.
The Civil Rights laws do not say "You can't deny service to gays".
They say "You can't deny service on the basis of sexual orientation."
Thus, they can't say "we don't want to serve straight people" just like they can't say "we don't want to serve gay people".
BOTH are examples of denying service on the basis of sexual orientation.

Jun 2018
Toronto
You fail to understand the law.
The Civil Rights laws do not say "You can't deny service to gays".
They say "You can't deny service on the basis of sexual orientation."
Thus, they can't say "we don't want to serve straight people" just like they can't say "we don't want to serve gay people".
BOTH are examples of denying service on the basis of sexual orientation.

So if he says we don't want to serve you full stop, that's ok?

Jun 2018
Toronto
I can't comment on how your laws are structured, but here it wouldn't be.

Yeah I don't believe you, even just because of the mere fact that the profession of a bouncer exists, which means people do have the right to throw you out of their establishment whenever they think it's necessary.