the wall

Jul 2015
chicago
How do you define fairness in economic and employment opportunities?
If one focuses too much on some particular "percent", that will never really bring fairness to the American system. Discrimination is not eliminated by targeting a specific fractional representation every day, every year, in every profession. If racism is ever eliminated there will be times and occupations when this or that racial group has a representation that is sometimes in the majority or sometimes in the minority.

As an example, in my public professional school when I trained there were only about 20 % women; now there are 70% women. Next year, it might be 40% women.
Fairness is not about equality of representation so much as equal opportunity. Until there are times when new students or employees include HIGH fractions of black or brown or whatever race, we will not be assured that racism has been reduced. It cannot be eliminated by a snapshot of one point in time.
You forget the entire point... Trump said there were a lot of Democrats in the Federal government. You are jumping to defend something that is not being debated.

Nov 2018
Montana
You forget the entire point... Trump said there were a lot of Democrats in the Federal government. You are jumping to defend something that is not being debated.
Fair point. However, the discussion clearly turned to racial composition of the Post Office/federal government and you promoted that discussion further.
Since we are there already, how about answering my questions.

Dec 2016
Canada
I already answered that. You apparently think that 1000+ miles of border wall at 25 million per mile will be beneficial. We have border walls in high traffic sections, fine. But the primary route of entry is not across remote desert, it is by overstay of legal entry. Maybe we should have a national ID system and search every adult every 10 miles on every road. THAT might eliminate undocumented alien populations. Is that the country you want?
LET ME SEE YOUR PAPERS!

Every time I've seen numbers attached to the "illegals" question, the majority are already in the country and have overstayed their visas.

A year or two ago, I posted a thread about a now-forgotten book on Earth's looming climate crisis: "Climate Wars" written back in 02 by foreign affairs correspondent and analyst - Gwynn Dyer. He took an interest in the subject and spent several months researching and conducting interviews for the book...primarily focusing on his rolodex of high placed government officials at the time. What Dyer was most curious about was the divide between what the political officials in the Bush White House were saying...denying that there was or ever would be a climate change problem/ vs. what he was told by his contacts within the CIA especially, and also the other branches of the Defense Department, who declared they had already seen enough to know that climate change was real and about to get much worse. And their greatest fear was mass refugee migrations from the Global South, of people trying to escape droughts, floods and famines, and move north...first engaging in wars over shrinking, productive food-growing territories, and more importantly - continuing on north into Europe and the US of A!

With that in mind, how much of the ramped up focus on security threats to (usually as quietly as possible) stop or repel attempts to gain entry into the wealthy, developed nations(who've caused the climate crisis) goes way beyond what a loudmouth like Trump says, and represents the will and intentions of deep state power, who's jobs continue on regardless of who runs the White House or Congress?

A closer and more honest look at the Syrian Civil War and regime change debacle, shows that the long-running Assad/Baathist governments were able to control their country while keeping enough people happy until 10 to 12 years ago, when a severe, multiyear drought began that forced farmers to give up and move to cities that could not accommodate them all...a circumstance that was seized upon by all of Syria's surrounding enemies -- who sent in as many surplus Al Qaeda mercenaries as they could to overthrow the Government. If they succeeded, they would have turned Syria into a permanent quagmire like Libya (which may have been the goal...who knows!), and that was only a forerunner of the kind of climate disruptions that are and will become more and more frequent as the years go on! So, keeping that in mind, are the controllers running CIA and DHS looking 5, 10, 20 or even 30 years into the future, when it's already being predicted that Earth's equatorial zone will become too hot to support most conventional agriculture...like growing grains? Instead of thousands, there would be millions of refugees trying to move north and find places to survive.

So, looking back, what surprised me somewhat and I find ominous is that all of these high-placed officials he meets with and gets stories from for his columns, were very worried about climate change/YET would not talk about it publicly or work behind the scenes in their own ways to try to do the kinds of radical reshaping economic changes that would be necessary to stop rising GHG emissions and ecological destruction. All they seemed to care about was stopping migrants and maybe shooting them down before they break through any barriers....like an Israeli IDF Gaza policy today.

Jul 2015
chicago
Fair point. However, the discussion clearly turned to racial composition of the Post Office/federal government and you promoted that discussion further.
Since we are there already, how about answering my questions.
You turned it to that and its on you.

Nov 2018
Montana
Nothing wrong with talking about racial composition.
No, what is wrong is your statement that you did not raise the topic. But, I am sure you have some further denial planned because conservatives never admit their poor memories, factual errors, bad reasoning, incompetent data assessment, and general failure to deal with reality.

Nov 2012
Gamma Solaris
trump wants that wall at mexico so he can set up a network of survalance and sound using the wall to do it
why ? that's what puzzles me.. why is he keeping that part quiet. he will never get it finished anyway.. come on now people. you know how many miles it is from sea to sea. he will for sure run out of money. and take our homes with him.
Dusty!!! Glad to see you are well!

No...he won't run out of money for the wall. It won't "just" be a wall, either. High-tech surveillance is going in along with it. That's all going to listen for tunnelling...use drones from the air...and, adding many more agents...and, border posts.

Do not underestimate this man, either. Mexico will end up paying for it, as well.

Jul 2015
chicago
No, what is wrong is your statement that you did not raise the topic. But, I am sure you have some further denial planned because conservatives never admit their poor memories, factual errors, bad reasoning, incompetent data assessment, and general failure to deal with reality.
No what is wrong is you trying to make a discussion about demographics into a discussion of it being racist. Its just demographics no matter how hard you guys try to make it something else. Its all on you guys.