The World's Newest Major Religion: No Religion

Feb 2006
California
You don’t usually think of churches as going out of business, but it happens. In March, driven by parishioner deaths and lack of interest, the U.K. Mennonites held their last collective service.

It might seem easy to predict that plain-dressing Anabaptists—who follow a faith related to the Amish—would become irrelevant in the age of smartphones, but this is part of a larger trend. Around the world, when asked about their feelings on religion, more and more people are responding with a meh.

The religiously unaffiliated, called "nones," are growing significantly. They’re the second largest religious group in North America and most of Europe. In the United States, nones make up almost a quarter of the population. In the past decade, U.S. nones have overtaken Catholics, mainline protestants, and all followers of non-Christian faiths.

[Tommy: Chorus]
I'm free, I'm free
And freedom tastes of reality
I'm free, I'm free
And I'm waiting for you to follow me

[Verse]
If I told you what it takes
To reach the highest high
You'd laugh and say nothing's that simple
But you've been told many times before
Messiahs pointed to the door
And no one had the guts to leave the temple!

[Chorus]
I'm free, I'm free
And freedom tastes of reality
I'm free, I'm free
And I'm waiting for you to follow me

[Outro]
How can we follow?
How can we follow?

Oct 2019
USA
I'd argue that whatever they devote their time to most becomes their "religion", or their "god", so to speak.

Whether politics, sports, masturbating to anime, eating lots and lots of junk food, or so on.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
I'd argue that whatever they devote their time to most becomes their "religion", or their "god", so to speak.

Whether politics, sports, masturbating to anime, eating lots and lots of junk food, or so on.
And nary an imaginary skydaddy among that group.

Reactions: Lyzza
Oct 2019
USA
And nary an imaginary skydaddy among that group.
Yes, your thoughts about said content are imaginary, - they're contents of your mind, not anything physical, empirical, or testable per Bacon's method.

So all of your political beliefs, or ideas, opinions, enthusiasm for your sports team is just as "imaginary" as the aforementioned sky daddy is.

So in reality, it's only some imaginary or mental concepts you have a problem with, but not others.

Jul 2019
Georgia
no religion here. I'm spiritual and believe in a higher power (but not a god who makes laws and sends you to hell and crap) and I don't belong to any religion per-se

this sums it up

So don't waste your mind on nursery rhymes
Or fairy tales of blood and wine
It's turtles all the way down the line
So to each their own 'til we go home
To other realms our souls must roam
To and through the myth that we all call space and time

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Yes, your thoughts about said content are imaginary, - they're contents of your mind, not anything physical, empirical, or testable per Bacon's method.

So all of your political beliefs, or ideas, opinions, enthusiasm for your sports team is just as "imaginary" as the aforementioned sky daddy is.

So in reality, it's only some imaginary or mental concepts you have a problem with, but not others.
As soon as you start blathering about Bacon's method, which you don't understand at all, it makes your post ridiculous and unworthy of the effort to reply to the content. Mocking you however is worth the effort.

• Haha
Apr 2015
Stockport, Cheshire. UK
No Religion is not the largest growing religion, because by its very definition its not a religion.

Religion, the definition of which is "The belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers, regarded as creating and governing the universe".